Win lottery and can live anywhere you want

Wake Up

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Exactly, so stop trolling me.

He is well known for doing that. One line comments which add nothing to the debate and only irritate other TV members. I have yet to see him have anything intelegent to say.

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Dario said:

I second that. Spain is also my next destination. I'm preparing myself for Spain, more detailed: Mallorca. Not for the night life! From there cheap flights to anywhere in Europe.

13 hours ago, Wake Up said:

So if you could live anywhere in the world where would that be and why?

Second more controversial question is why are you not living there now?

1) In my dream for many years, many years ago: On a tropical Bounty-beach-style-coconut-island, sitting in the shadow under a palm while a pair of young ladies brings me cold drinks...:tongue:

2) I am indeed living right there on my 14th year now, my only regret is that I wasn't able to do it 10-years earlier...:smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ResandePohm said:

He is well known for doing that. One line comments which add nothing to the debate and only irritate other TV members. I have yet to see him have anything intelegent to say.

It's called having a conversation.

"intelegent"

How ironic.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Esso49 said:

Not quite your age but agree it is the lack of intellectual conversation that I miss.   However unlike yourself,  and living here for decades but British, even if I won a fortune, I would never contemplate returning to the UK.   There are many things wrong with most countries and Thailand is no exception, but the UK I grew up in is no more.   Having worked and lived in many parts of the world before retiring I have no desire to live in a country that has cities now more akin to India and/or the Middle East.  Of course the pc brigade will say I am racist but that is BS  as if that were to be the case I would never have married a Chinese and now a Thai, nor would I be happy in Thailand were that to be true. Not forgetting of course it is these self same, politically correct people, that have engendered a whole new breed of nutters to carry out murderous attacks on the population. Thankfully Thailand is still a much safer country from these extremist currently.

I too am British and I would never return to Britain . I have never returned in the last eight years and probably never will again . The west is in an aggressive political mess , Britain a puppet of the Evil warmongering US .  I feel that Thailand is a backwater safe haven from the present wicked world  that in the event of WWIII we might miss out on the worst of it .  I considered myself a racist in Italy that was already then being invaded , by Albanians , Ukrainians , Romanians , who were bringing a terrible crimewave to Italy .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, newnative said:

I think you missed the point.  I I believe the poster was saying that if you're a multimillionaire, New York would be a great city to live in--and I agree.  Buy myself a big, sprawling condo overlooking Central Park, dine at great restaurants every night, art galleries and museums galore to explore, the best seats for concerts, all the latest plays and musicals to entertain me sporting and special events to attend, and stores of every kind.  But, in my case, I'm not a multimillionaire, so my NYC experience would be living in a closet-sized apartment and not having any money left after paying the rent to enjoy most of those things I just mentioned.  

If I was a multimillionaire I too would enjoy the delights of New York...possibly travelling 5 or 6 times a year from Isaan complete with wife, mother in law and assorted hangers on and of course a few weeks supply of somtam...flying first class of course.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ResandePohm said:

Why do you have to misinterpret what the op said. He never said Thailand isn't that good. He only stated the fact that cheese and wine are more expensive here which is understandable as cheese and wine are not indiginous to Thailand.

Nor is the farang

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, catman20 said:

cheap medical care. 

where???????????????????:post-4641-1156693976:

I am from USA. My health insurance in Thailand is 1350 a year. In USA it was 800 a month. Drugs and hospitals and doctors are so much cheaper than USA and better service and facilities and doctor and nurse attitudes. Understand other countries may be different. But if I moved back to the USA it would cost me over 8000 USA dollars in premiums (12,000) before taxes are paid — and higher out of pocket costs for drugs and crappy doctor attitude service. Bumrigard and other hospitals are a bargain for me. If I go to one of the Thai hospitals then the facilities are not as nice but the care is good and cost almost nothing. 

In London now and a pint of beer is 5.5 pounds. Even Nana plaza is not 5.5 pounds. Pattaya even cheaper. I personally do not understand who can afford to live in Central London year around. Parks are great and food good and transportation great buses and tube but the cost of living is extremely high.

8 hours ago, Toscano said:

YES , YES , New Zealand is lovely !!!

I moved to New Zealand (originally from Sydney) and life is great here.  The one downside is that it's a long way from anywhere.  Sydney is not so far away New Zealand, but feels so much better connected to the word.  That said, New Zealand still has charm whereas Sydney's has all but eroded.

The question is nice for dreaming, but dreaming has to factor in many aspects. Most important are to me: how old I anow, can I stand the climate forever, how long can I still travel, how is healthcare situation near me, how is infrastructure and cleaness, how is neighborhood relations, how are cultural and intelectual possibilities, how is income level, how are contacts to relatives, is my spouse prepared to live where I would like, how well educated I am and my environment.

So, let us assume: Retired, single and not gay, close to 70 years old, university degree, good English language skills and prepared to learn a new language, have close relatives in home country but shit weather most part of the year, used to live alone with few long lasting friends, going out only occasionally in pubs but a regular in godd restaurants or coffee shops, not into tv, computergames, online gambling or social media (except reading thaivisa but no regular poster).

So, let's assume:

I am very well off, still managing my money ( but may be change to bank managed), still like to travel but have the feeling, it's becoming harder.

What I don't want:

see a lot of poverty, traffic jams, garbage on street or run down areas, few peoples understanding English, noise late at night but also not deserted living areas like suburbs.

What is out:

Thailand or Philippines and other countries in this area, Mexico (crime), US, Canada (weather), Northern Europe (climate and regulations), Spain and its islands (bureaucracy), all of Africa except La Reunion, Caribic islands

What is an option:

Singapore, southern Switzerland and France, parts of Chile, Italy (Toscany but only close to bigger cities like Florence or Sienna), Austria with a warm getaway in winter

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Wake Up said:

I am from USA. My health insurance in Thailand is 1350 a year. In USA it was 800 a month. Drugs and hospitals and doctors are so much cheaper than USA and better service and facilities and doctor and nurse attitudes. Understand other countries may be different. But if I moved back to the USA it would cost me over 8000 USA dollars in premiums (12,000) before taxes are paid — and higher out of pocket costs for drugs and crappy doctor attitude service. Bumrigard and other hospitals are a bargain for me. If I go to one of the Thai hospitals then the facilities are not as nice but the care is good and cost almost nothing. 

ok i not from th USA so maybe my understanding is not as good as yours. i think compared to th UK its not cheap for medical care here.

when you quote (  in Thailand is 1350 a year ) do you mean 1,350 dollars US, if so depending on your age i would of thought the cover would not be that good. 

34 minutes ago, bermannor said:

What is out:

Thailand or Philippines and other countries in this area, Mexico (crime), US, Canada (weather), Northern Europe (climate and regulations), Spain and its islands (bureaucracy), all of Africa except La Reunion, Caribic islands

What is an option:

Singapore, southern Switzerland and France, parts of Chile, Italy (Toscany but only close to bigger cities like Florence or Sienna), Austria with a warm getaway in winter

Out of interest, what is the attraction of reading Thai visa forum for you?

• Haha 2

i know of some extremely wealthy people who can live a great life style any where in the world and choose to live 95% of there time here in Pattaya how ever they dont live in some box and drive a pick up.

they have houses here worth millions of US dollars also properties in other countries. you just have to know the right places to live and the money to buy them and you can live in luxury here in Pattaya. 

If money was no object I would not stay permanently in one place. Instead I’d have a locked-up condo as my base and travel the world continuously, following warm climates and attending the world’s biggest sporting events and concerts along the way. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bermannor said:

The question is nice for dreaming, but dreaming has to factor in many aspects. Most important are to me: how old I anow, can I stand the climate forever, how long can I still travel, how is healthcare situation near me, how is infrastructure and cleaness, how is neighborhood relations, how are cultural and intelectual possibilities, how is income level, how are contacts to relatives, is my spouse prepared to live where I would like, how well educated I am and my environment.

So, let us assume: Retired, single and not gay, close to 70 years old, university degree, good English language skills and prepared to learn a new language, have close relatives in home country but shit weather most part of the year, used to live alone with few long lasting friends, going out only occasionally in pubs but a regular in godd restaurants or coffee shops, not into tv, computergames, online gambling or social media (except reading thaivisa but no regular poster).

So, let's assume:

I am very well off, still managing my money ( but may be change to bank managed), still like to travel but have the feeling, it's becoming harder.

What I don't want:

see a lot of poverty, traffic jams, garbage on street or run down areas, few peoples understanding English, noise late at night but also not deserted living areas like suburbs.

What is out:

What is an option:

The only problem with Italy is that there are so many Italians living there.

You mention "weather" as being a deal-breaker in US and Canada.   Strange...clearly you have never travelled there....the weather in both places is just wonderful most of the time.  Depending on where you are, perhaps too hot or too cold de temps en temps (but what about Hawaii?).

A more cogent reason for rejecting the US and Canada would be "Trump, CNN, Fox News, and Justin Trudeau, the Clown PM."

9 hours ago, Wake Up said:

In London now and a pint of beer is 5.5 pounds. Even Nana plaza is not 5.5 pounds. Pattaya even cheaper. I personally do not understand who can afford to live in Central London year around.

I guess bankers are happy to pay the prices in London. Somehow it is ironic that a big part of Nana is owned by the boiler room gangs. Same same - but different.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, catman20 said:

ok i not from th USA so maybe my understanding is not as good as yours. i think compared to th UK its not cheap for medical care here.

when you quote (  in Thailand is 1350 a year ) do you mean 1,350 dollars US, if so depending on your age i would of thought the cover would not be that good. 

Cigna Global Health out of UK and Brussels. 1350 USA dollars per year 1,000,000 USA dollars coverage in every country in the world except a few like Syria. 10,000 USA dollar deductible. I pay 250 dollars to have coverage in USA otherwise it would be 1,100 a year. So I pay out of pocket for everything unless I have a severe injury and then I would pay up to 10,000 USA. So when I go to a Bangkok hospital to see a doctor and wait less than 10 minutes and nurses are clean and beautiful and walk out paying about 45 dollars on my credit card )if I get a prescription) and less if I don’t then yes I am thrilled. That would be my drug co-pay cost in USA after I paid my deductible. I am close to age 60. At age 65 USA has insurance coverage for citizens and coverage only good in USA and pays only 80 percent of bills unless you get a supplement policy that costs about 2,400 a year USA dollars. Thailand is a bargain for USA expats. But not free but for me so much much much better and cheaper than USA health care and health care insurance. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, blazes said:

The only problem with Italy is that there are so many Italians living there.

You mention "weather" as being a deal-breaker in US and Canada.   Strange...clearly you have never travelled there....the weather in both places is just wonderful most of the time.  Depending on where you are, perhaps too hot or too cold de temps en temps (but what about Hawaii?).

A more cogent reason for rejecting the US and Canada would be "Trump, CNN, Fox News, and Justin Trudeau, the Clown PM."

In 1997 President Ronald Reagan signed a law that repealed the licensing restrictions for the media. It took away the FCC right to deny the media license if the media was not accurate and did not provide public service announcements. So CNN was so successful financially and Fox was born. Every good sporting event and TV drama requires an enemy and cheering section.   Now IMO the whole world is going the USA media way or the opposite way of Asia and Russia and Middle East which is news suppression. 

I agree with you except IMO the only way to avoid this type of noise is to not listen to the politicians or news in any country. I find them the same same except some are quiet and some are loud but all desire control, money, power and influence. Why we humans continue fighting for one side over another or actually believing politicians are in it for public service and are good people is strange to me. 

Edited by Wake Up