Two killed as car crashes at 180 kph in Nakhon Pathom

webfact

1 hour ago, happy chappie said:

Only the best Thai drivers should be allowed to drive a car.

IMG_2356.JPG

What a crying shame to put an average Thai driver behind the wheel of this lovely lil' ol' Fiat 500! ...The more so there was no synchromesh on the first gear (people who have some experience with old, manual, gearboxes will understand).

• Like 2

Where do you have that from?
Bet it can.
The biggest motor sold in Thailand is a 2.5 liter, 133 kW (188 PS/HP).
Max speed is never shown in Thai brochures (maybe even forbidden?).
Wiki says 210 km/h for the 2.5 liter with 6 speed auto.
I'm saying normal road which means there will be traffic lights, junctions and motor bikes, not expressway. If you have driven in Thailand or at that area to be exact, you should know the road conditions.

Sure even a 2.0 liter Camry with 150ps can do 200kmh if the road conditions permit.

Unless it's fully modified Camry with good tires and brake, surely it cannot brake on time in case of sudden braking needed on normal road.

That's the problem with people here. Just look at the engine size without thinking of overall car capability, road conditions and etc. Even a Lexus in Japan with 3.5 V6 is speed limited at 180kmh because the country knows what is road speed limit.

Be careful as today there's a lot of fact finding sleuths scouring these comments.its like having big brother watching over you and waiting to jump on the slightest mistake.i put it down to boredom and a sad life but it keeps the busy I suppose.
Thanks. Lots of people posting without real driving experience and maybe can't even afford their own car...
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Excessive(*) speed kills for sure (same-same but very different, when the drivers are more skilled, ...and responsible, than original Borneo inhabitants, speed does not necessarily kill...).

(*)But let me guess, reading your post..., if 100 to 120 is your choice, no prob for me, but DO KEEP LEFT then on roads where a higher limit would be authorised, OK with you, ...instead of voluntarily brake off or block faster drivers exercicing their freedom/right to do so, like too many (in most countries), or would you maybe flash your headlights too on top of it? 

I'm always on the LEFT, and I NEVER play games brake on off, if the ones on the right want to fly till they get airborne then that's fine with me.

I don't have an issue with speeding drivers, just cannot see the common sense in wanting to speed excessively, like I said, speed kills, and if they want to die, then as long as they don't take anyone else with them, all and good ah !

The thing to remember here is we are all on the same journey in life, so why rush ?

2 hours ago, akirasan said:

Tell me about it. I let my wifes cousin take my car from a drive because he's been driving around in a beat up hilux for the past 30 years. 

When changing gears he went 1-3-5. I asked him why he did that and he replied that he thought it was the same as his gearbox.

Still haven't figured that one out.

A complete guess.

Perhaps he meant that the gear ratios on his Hilux allowed him to go 1-3-5 without stalling, over-revving or inconvenience so it became a habit. (This is not quite a complete guess as 21 years of living here has taught me that if Thais spot or are taught a short cut of any variety, they will take it. This certainly applies to reduction of the number of gear changes.)

Maybe you could take a look at the configuration of the gears on his Hilux.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

A Toyota Camry will not do 180 kph.

Considering I've sat in a Camry (2009 model) and it was the 2 liter version, not even the 2.4 or the newer 2.5 and the driver was doing 190 down the highway in Malaysia (It was a Thai car).

It certainly can and will do 180 without much trouble.

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

I'm saying normal road which means there will be traffic lights, junctions and motor bikes, not expressway. If you have driven in Thailand or at that area to be exact, you should know the road conditions.

It's a four lane divided highway, straight and flat as can be.

It's 1 AM in the morning.

What would a drunken hool stop from driving a 180 km/h?

Because he "can" but not "should"!

This is about the accident spot +/- 200 meters.

Petkasem hw. in Tambon Sa Krathiam, somewhat close to Wat Lat Ya Praek. Principal roadway, no traffic lights, no nothing.

https://goo.gl/maps/8bbEkc2i31r

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Recently drove from Udon Thani to Pattaya with the family, averaging 100km-120km and on occasion would see someone fly by at around 150km-160km, really I cannot see the need to go over 100km-120km, just sit back, put on your cruise control, some nice music and enjoy the drive, stopping every two hours for a coffee and a bite to eat.

Speed kills :shock1:

So you were 10-30 km/h over the legal speed limit of 90 km/h than?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's a four lane divided highway, straight and flat as can be.

It's 1 AM in the morning.

What would a drunken hool stop from driving a 180 km/h?

Because he "can" but not "should"!

This is about the accident spot +/- 200 meters.

Petkasem hw. in Tambon Sa Krathiam, somewhat close to Wat Lat Ya Praek. Principal roadway, no traffic lights, no nothing.

https://goo.gl/maps/8bbEkc2i31r

Not far from the Toyota dealership, they should be able to patch it up okay.  :sorry:

At night the visibility is very poor here and even at 1am there are still plenty of lorries, and slow cars in the fast lane overtaking the lorries. I can believe he was doing 180 (many cars are modified here) as I've had cars whizzing by me at this point going way over the speed limit. This just shows what happens if there is one slight mistake, or unforeseen action.

4 hours ago, happy chappie said:

150 mph x Thai driver x Thai road = death for certain.

Really? I've seen far, far more maniacal drivers in the streets of NYC and other US cities than I could ever dream of in Bangkok, where drivers seem a touch less aggressive.
(that's not including border-run van drivers, of course, but you can't generalize)

Edited by jackspade

4 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Yup, fall off your pushbike at 10kph without a suitable crash helmet and hit your head (temple) on solid concrete e.g. guttering and your gone!

Is this your clever theory? If you are to be believed, most children of the 1970's would never have made it to their teens. Your head is a lot tougher than you think, and can take some very hard knocks. A crash helmet should always be worn of course. 

39 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

180 Kph = 108 mph approx, not 150 mph

I was Using the approx method as you have.the only thing being my approx is wider than yours.if we weren't using the approx method I would say it is 111.847 mph.there that should put a few minds at rest now.try reading a few more posts before jumping on my mistake.i corrected this earlier in the replies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, jackspade said:

Really? I've seen far, far more maniacal drivers in the streets of NYC and other US cities than I could ever dream of in Bangkok, where everything is a touch less aggressive.
(that's not including border-run van drivers, of course, but you can't generalize)

Really? I think the subject  we are talking about is speed and Thai driving abilities in Thailand,not yellow cabs in New York honking at each other and giving the middle finger.

Edited by happy chappie
Added coms

5 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Recently drove from Udon Thani to Pattaya with the family, averaging 100km-120km and on occasion would see someone fly by at around 150km-160km, really I cannot see the need to go over 100km-120km, just sit back, put on your cruise control, some nice music and enjoy the drive, stopping every two hours for a coffee and a bite to eat.

Speed kills :shock1:

Travelling at 150 - 180km/h is not a need - it's a desire. They make fast cars (or make cars fast), so people are going to test them out. Even average family cars can easily hit 160km/h plus. When I was young I used to ride my motorcycle at well over 200km/h at times. I once got busted for travelling at 180km/h and lost my licence. 160km/h in a car was nothing those days... just getting started LOL. Young people are not so afraid of dying, so they are more brave and careless.

54 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

A crash helmet should always be worn of course. 

Yes, sensible people know that.

The point I am making is that driving/riding too fast for the conditions can kill you NOT just speed! You can die at very low speeds (dependent upon the conditions).

Certainly "speed" as in exceeding mandated limits may kill you, one thing is FOR SURE, "speed" certainly increases the severity of any crash but may not kill you.

Hence, "speed kills" is a cliche and misnomer. :coffee1: 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tropo said:

Travelling at 150 - 180km/h is not a need - it's a desire. They make fast cars (or make cars fast), so people are going to test them out. Even average family cars can easily hit 160km/h plus. When I was young I used to ride my motorcycle at well over 200km/h at times. I once got busted for travelling at 180km/h and lost my licence. 160km/h in a car was nothing those days... just getting started LOL. Young people are not so afraid of dying, so they are more brave and careless.

I reckon Thailand only became a car owning country ( for the general public ) around the seventies.

Might be wrong but wouldn't many of the cars imported in the 70's and 80's generally be family type cheaper cars capable of 0-100 kph in around 20 to 30 seconds and top out at around 120/140 kph on a good day. 

No wide fast roads until the late 90's and even then not so many.

Since then wider faster roads and even bog standard pick ups and saloons that easily out perform 80's 90's ' sport cars.'

Too fast, too soon and too steep a learning curve for people to learn caution and vehicle control.

Edited by overherebc
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Ok I got my figures wrong 180 kph= 112 mph.its great having you Steven the 'corrector' on hand.i promise I won't do it again.now go rattle someone else's knuckles with your cane.

Bet you wouldn't mistake Bht 180 for 180 quid though.

• Haha 2