Two killed as car crashes at 180 kph in Nakhon Pathom

webfact

18 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I reckon Thailand only became a car owning country ( for the general public ) around the seventies.

Might be wrong but wouldn't many of the cars imported in the 70's and 80's generally be family type cheaper cars capable of 0-100 kph in around 20 to 30 seconds and top out at around 120/140 kph on a good day. 

No wide fast roads until the late 90's and even then not so many.

Since then wider faster roads and even bog standard pick ups and saloons that easily out perform 80's 90's ' sport cars.'

Too fast, too soon and too steep a learning curve for people to learn caution and vehicle control.

The vast majority of cars I see in Pattaya are new and I think, capable of 140 kph on a bad day. Perhaps someone who owns one could chime in here - how fast does an average new family car go?

7 minutes ago, tropo said:

The vast majority of cars I see in Pattaya are new and I think, capable of 140 kph on a bad day. Perhaps someone who owns one could chime in here - how fast does an average new family car go?

It goes as fast as Somchai Mangohead can make it

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tropo said:

My wife bought a Ford Ecosport 1500 cc 

Book top speed is 110 Mph.

I would say many of the 2000 to 3000 cc cars now are capable of much faster 120 to 130 Mph plus.

The problem ( one of them anyway ) is the ease and quietness? of the cars giving the impression is not really that fast. 

The perception of the difference between 100 Mph and 140 Mph on a smooth road in a modern car doesn't happen until it comes time to put your foot on the brake. That's why so many people pile their cars.

No gearbox to help you control the car just a go faster pedal and a stop pedal and that generally gets shoved hard in panic mode. All modern driver assist additions to cars don't matter sh-t when you stomp on the brake and turn the steering wheel at 120 Mph +.

8 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

I was being driven around Phuket recently by my partners 20yo son, the car always smelled of burning brakes. seems he uses the brake pedal as a foot rest.

Driving skills are not great in Thailand.

have you just realised this????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Recently drove from Udon Thani to Pattaya with the family, averaging 100km-120km and on occasion would see someone fly by at around 150km-160km, really I cannot see the need to go over 100km-120km, just sit back, put on your cruise control, some nice music and enjoy the drive, stopping every two hours for a coffee and a bite to eat.

Speed kills :shock1:

depends on the road conditions of course, but going faster than 120 on a road with u-turns is really dangerous.

On highway 7 between BKK and Pattaya, 160 kph is not dangerous if there isn't much traffic.

On some roads 50 kph is unreasonable, but of course it takes intelligence to adapt speed to the situation... even in Western countries people are being dumb about it.

• Like 1

how was there a tailback 

19 minutes ago, overherebc said:

My wife bought a Ford Ecosport 1500 cc 

Book top speed is 110 Mph.

I would say many of the 2000 to 3000 cc cars now are capable of much faster 120 to 130 Mph plus.

The problem ( one of them anyway ) is the ease and quietness? of the cars giving the impression is not really that fast. 

The perception of the difference between 100 Mph and 140 Mph on a smooth road in a modern car doesn't happen until it comes time to put your foot on the brake. That's why so many people pile their cars.

No gearbox to help you control the car just a go faster pedal and a stop pedal and that generally gets shoved hard in panic mode. All modern driver assist additions to cars don't matter sh-t when you stomp on the brake and turn the steering wheel at 120 Mph +.

i always use the gearing to SLOW down.....and my vehicle is an automatic Triton.....so why do others not do the same as me??

8 minutes ago, essox essox said:

have you just realised this????

Essox my post was a response to the OP,

I realised the low standards of driving the first time I got into a cab from the airport.

3 minutes ago, essox essox said:

how was there a tailback 

i always use the gearing to SLOW down.....and my vehicle is an automatic Triton.....so why do others not do the same as me??

It would mean doing two things at the same time.

Try explaining riding a fast bike, I used to, too old now, where your right hand is controlling the throttle and the front brake, your left hand is controlling the clutch, your right foot is controlling the rear brake and your left foot the gearbox.

Sometimes you are using up to three of them at the same time depending on circumstances.

Have you ever asked any of today's drivers what 'heeling and toeing' is?

Bet you get a blank look. ??

3 minutes ago, essox essox said:

"The accident caused a major traffic jam with cars backing up on that section of Phetkasem road for about two kilometres" how can this be so AT 1 AM in the morning.??
Some report take some believing !!

Rubber neckers or must get a photo on my phone for faeces book dipsh-ts soon cause a back up.

1 minute ago, overherebc said:

Try explaining riding a fast bike, I used to, too old now, where your right hand is controlling the throttle and the front brake, your left hand is controlling the clutch, your right foot is controlling the rear brake and your left foot the gearbox.

Sometimes you are using up to three of them at the same time depending on circumstances.

i know what toeing and heeling is WAS taught early in my days of learning to drive....unlike ALL thais....who have NO idea as to what it is

4 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Essox my post was a response to the OP,

I realised the low standards of driving the first time I got into a cab from the airport.

me same as you then when I first came here in 2006...I was appauled and bewildered

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, essox essox said:

"The accident caused a major traffic jam with cars backing up on that section of Phetkasem road for about two kilometres" how can this be so AT 1 AM in the morning.??
Some report take some believing !!

It's just after where two major roads combine. I agree at 1am it isn't as busy as Sunday afternoon but there's a lot of trucks even at 1am.

Just now, essox essox said:

would not know I am safe and sound sleeping at this time....

I used to drive this stretch between 12-1 on my way back from ten pin bowling. It's pretty dangerous with too many guys like this, so I changed my schedule.

7 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Yup, fall off your pushbike at 10kph without a suitable crash helmet and hit your head (temple) on solid concrete e.g. guttering and your gone!

Slip and fall while walking and you don't even need the pushbike or striking the temple (for that matter). Read the statistics about how many folks die each year by slipping in their own bathtubs, with or without their protective helmets :sleep:

• Thanks 1

Mandatory speed governors until such time as the national road death rate drops to a level that demonstrates a bit of road usage responsibility and safety..... a drastic step, perhaps.... but doing nothing is reprehensible (so I guess we will go with the latter]

2 hours ago, tropo said:

It depends on the color

7 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

So you were 10-30 km/h over the legal speed limit of 90 km/h than?

10km/h over, your allowed to do 120km/h along the Pattaya Motorway, now 10km/h Vs the 60km/h-80km/h is acceptable in my opinion, i.e. cops won't stop you and you can slow up much quicker than the higher speeds :post-4641-1156694572:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, overherebc said:

LOL> what about double clutching with column gear change? I used to have to do that in my very first car, which was quite an old bomb, even for back in the 70's.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Recently drove from Udon Thani to Pattaya with the family, averaging 100km-120km and on occasion would see someone fly by at around 150km-160km, really I cannot see the need to go over 100km-120km, just sit back, put on your cruise control, some nice music and enjoy the drive, stopping every two hours for a coffee and a bite to eat.

Speed kills :shock1:

"Speed kills".

It doesn't.  120kph didn't kill you, did it?   Is your attitude that the speed you choose is ok?