N. Korea suspends talks with South over military drills

webfact

2 hours ago, Scott said:

I believe these are annual exercises and were planned and known about well in advance.   They were not secret or unexpected.  

I'm afraid you are not well informed.

The annual exercises have been delayed for the Olympic winter games in SK. So there is the question when the US and SK could do it for the (shie“t) Olympic winter games (=sports), why couldn't they do it for a more important reason: peace ??? At least trying it and looking for the result.

Maybe the incompetent LOTUS (Liar Of The....) will get very angry, as normal, if his good NK friend Kim will cancel the meeting, which should have „made Trump great again“.

January 2018: http://time.com/5100039/donald-trump-kim-jong-un-good-relationship/

I probably have a very good relationship with Kim Jong Un,” Mr. Trump said in the Thursday interview. “I have relationships with people. I think you people are surprised.”

Trump has made dramatic switches in the past with other opponents, though typically the stakes were political and did not involve international diplomacy.

Edited by puck2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

The "end game" is a reunited Korea without a Vietnam war!

If that means the USA pulling back to Japan, so be it. Why would South Korea want the USA to remain after a reunification?

All this "reds under the bed" stuff is so passé 

I think Putin can quite nicely balance China if he so wishes!

There cannot be a United Korea. It's an impossibility, at least for a long time in the future.

You want South Korea to subject itself to the government of the North?

Do you think Kim Jong Un would allow himself to fall under the jurisdiction of the South?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still a psychological blunder to continue with military exercises at this crucial time, unless of course there is a hidden agenda, and reunification is not really in all parties' interests?  Every single S. Korean to whom I spoke  both at the DMZ and elsewhere, was 100% convinced that reunification would be coming.  Not if;  only when !  Look at the costly railway 

station that has been built near the DMZ - all ready to just  up to N. Korea, and become the spearhead of the new rail

Silk Route through to Lisbon in the South, and London in the North, to be funded by China !

27 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

rocket man just released three americans, announced the closure of the nukular testing facility, stated that north korea is willing to denuclearize, and has dropped the demand that us troops leave south korea.

postponing, or at least reducing the footprint of the joint exercises would be a reasonable effort at building trust and making conciliatory gestures.

can't imagine any reason not to, other than bolton is back, and his agenda is to ruin any chance of a peaceful resolution, just as he did under GW.

Yes indeed. Remember what he said just in February

"It is perfectly legitimate for the United States to respond to the current 'necessity' posed by North Korea's nuclear weapons by striking first,"  

32 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

If you think Trump is a dictator. Otherwise your question might well demonstrate your in depth understanding.

I think trump is petulant and unpredictable (the two words I used, I believe)... but... that said, I think he aspires to be an autarch.

Edited by farcanell
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1