every time i go shopping i laugh

rodknock

i laugh every time i go shopping. wow, they know how to use a lot of plastic bags.

Thailand complains about all the waste. unfortunately they are a third world country with no concept of recycling.

in the us every grocery store has barrels to recycle plastics, bags,bottles and Styrofoam

housing garbage collection has 2 garbage barrels, one garbage and one recycle.

there is a total lack of trash barrels all over Bangkok, so what do they do, throw it on the ground or in the water.

the government blames the Styrofoam, the issue is they have no concept of recycling or an adequate amount of trash cans or barrels. the Styrofoam is not a problem it is the PEOPLE who do not care.

on the upper deck of every sky train station there is not one garbage bin, so people throw it and the same goes for the bts. the only trash receptacles are at the change window.

it is such a shame Bangkok is such a dirty, filthy city. 

the government needs to get it together to teach and have facilities for recycling and trash.

instead they waste the peoples money on defunct items, buses, radar guns, explosive detectors, blimp, fire engines, air craft carrier, judges housing and many other items.

i live here and i call Bangkok my home but i am disappointed to see the lack of thought that goes on.

Edited by blackcab
Bold font removed
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bit of a bold statement that.

You say Thailand is a third world country and has no concept of recycling? What, unlike the UK (don't know about the USA) who proclaim to be greeny recyclers but in fact most of the plastic waste goes to landfill. The most plastic-polluted river in the world was recently identified as a river through Staylbridge in Manchester.

In rural Thailand most people I know separate plastic, glass and metal and sell it at the local waste collection site. Recycling is incentifide by cash, that's why you see people collecting plastic and tin from bins, roadside...where there's muck there's brass...and we have a motocy sidecar couple come round to pick up our segregated waste to sell on. We give it to them...

Also, metal scrapyards are on the increase, our latest build we bought scrap doors and windows instead of going for the pvc option.

But then I agree with you on the styrafoam box issue. It's up to people to refuse plastic bags, styrafoam containers, etc.

But it's easy to solve, note the charge in the UK for plastic carrier bags which has seen usage drop by up to 80%.

So you should add to your Thai bash some useful methods that the Gov could put in place to change people's mindset.

You don't say what you do in BKK to recycle.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, grollies said:

You say Thailand is a third world country and has no concept of recycling? What, unlike the UK (don't know about the USA) who proclaim to be greeny recyclers but in fact most of the plastic waste goes to landfill. The most plastic-polluted river in the world was recently identified as a river through Staylbridge in Manchester.

In rural Thailand most people I know separate plastic, glass and metal and sell it at the local waste collection site. Recycling is incentifide by cash, that's why you see people collecting plastic and tin from bins, roadside...where there's muck there's brass...and we have a motocy sidecar couple come round to pick up our segregated waste to sell on. We give it to them...

Also, metal scrapyards are on the increase, our latest build we bought scrap doors and windows instead of going for the pvc option.

But then I agree with you on the styrafoam box issue. It's up to people to refuse plastic bags, styrafoam containers, etc.

But it's easy to solve, note the charge in the UK for plastic carrier bags which has seen usage drop by up to 80%.

So you should add to your Thai bash some useful methods that the Gov could put in place to change people's mindset.

You Tellem "Grollies"....lol

Why don't they just producing those biodegradable bags that look and almost feel like plastic ? ? ?

Many large retain chains of supermarkets in France have them for free at the vegetable and fruit sections.

Edited by observer90210

there is no humor in the plastic garbage,

i think most needed is more trash bins so that the plastic trash

can be disposed of and eventually trash is not everywhere,

and a new era of cleanliness can begin

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

As described there is a basic system of recycling here in upcountry.

But no question: too much (plastic) waste all over the country.

Bags, bags, styrofoam, styrofoam, straws, straws...

At 7/11 it's so absurd/mechanical they sometimes put a straw or two with the 2 liter bottle of fresh milk :blink:. When I notice at the register I will put it back.

Two days a week there is a small morning fresh market in the village.

I am the "crazy farang" who comes with a reusable bag carried over the shoulder.

Each time there will still be some puzzled views, "What the heck is that?", "What is he doing?" :biggrin:

I also give them a raised eyebrow look and laugh when I decline the straw for my liter of milk.  

You're right about the reusable market bags.  We tried for weeks at our weekend market during Prayuth's 2 plastic bag campaigns, thinking it might catch on.  Nope.  I never saw anyone else with a reusable.   A few of the vendors would freeze and stare for a moment when we declined a plastic bag.   It was like a pin ball machine going into TILT mode. 

i'm not sure it, technically, thailand is a third world country, but for sure they could do with education about behaving in a more environmentally friendly way beyond saying; 'save the world' and thinking that's all that is required.

Microplastic polluted, found in the sediment.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I agree ,

7-11 are extremely bad for this

Not sure if its policy for 7-11 but nearly everytime they will put each  item into a separate small plastic bag, and then put in those bags into another bag (Its completely crazy)

25 minutes ago, hydraides said:

I agree ,

7-11 are extremely bad for this

Not sure if its policy for 7-11 but nearly everytime they will put each  item into a separate small plastic bag, and then put in those bags into another bag (Its completely crazy)

My missus used to sell eggs. She'd put 30 eggs into a largish plastic bag with newspaper and a bit of straw in the bottom.

When she bought the plastic bags the pack came in........da daaaa, wait for it......a plastic bag.

On 16/05/2018 at 8:10 PM, observer90210 said:

Why don't they just producing those biodegradable bags that look and almost feel like plastic ? ? ?

Many large retain chains of supermarkets in France have them for free at the vegetable and fruit sections.

Here's a video showing an Indonesian company making 'plastic looking' bags out of casava. To prove it is harmless, the inventor stirs the casava bag into a glass of water and drinks it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXklBP53VT4

(had to post as a link, as the video won't allow it to be placed within other pages)

Edited by bluesofa

At my house I set up 3 recycle bins.  When full my FIL takes it and keeps the money.

I saw at Global House and Thai Watsadu they are now selling the large color coded bins for recycle.  I am seeing more and more now at shopping stalls and markets.  

To another posters note, Its up to the consumer to decline bags.  When I go to 7/11 I always decline bags and straws.  My wife is doing the same.  At the market I have sellers put in my bag that was from the original purchase.  At Big C. I just put stuff back in basket.  I don't need double bags for detergent or other heavier supplies. 

This process will take time to get people on board.