Monk survives pit bull onslaught

snoop1130

Monk survives pit bull onslaught

By Khajorn Phonimthai 
The Nation

ccc0099a2bfc1dd13ca1c10c337ba311.jpeg

A 68-year-old Buddhist monk narrowly escaped death after being mauled by nearly 10 pit bulls while on a morning alms round in Samut Songkhram province on Tuesday, a local police Facebook page revealed on Wednesday.

The photos of Phakhru Samutkhanisorn Panyawichuro’s 50 bitemarks, including several wounds that required up to 20 stitches were circulated in Thai social media. The Nation visited the scene, a small alley at the entrance to Luangpor Ban Laem Bang Hua Kruad monastery in Tambon Thai Hat, Muang district, along with Ban Bang Hua Kruad (moo 5) village headman Direk Makhamek. 

The headman said the monk was on an alms collection round when he was first chased by one pit bull and, as he backed away and fell down, 5-6 other pit bulls attacked him. Direk said the dogs belonged to car painter Saman Sitthibutr, who wasn’t at home at the time. He had kept the dogs within the house’s fenced compound but the pit bulls had managed to escape. 

This was the second time the dogs had escaped. The first time was two weeks ago, Direk said, adding he would ask Saman to keep his pet dogs in kennels to prevent the re-occurrence

The monk, who was recovering at Somdet Phra Phutthaloetla Hospital, recalled that he had spotted the seven dogs so he avoided them by walking on the other side of street but the dogs attacked him anyway. “When I was lying on the ground while being mauled by the dogs, I thought I was going to die. Fortunately people came out and chased them away and rushed me to hospital,” the monk said, adding the dogs’ owner had taken responsibility. “He explained that he had kept the dogs in his house compound but they had managed to escape. I don’t want to put the blame on anyone, as no one wants this to happen,” the monk said, but urged dog owners to make sure their pets wouldn’t cause problems to others.

Acting hospital director Watchara Janjaroenkit said the monk had sustained 50 bite marks, some of which required up to 20 stitches. As he was given rabies vaccine, he would recover in one week if the wounds weren’t infected.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30345545

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-5-16

Snif-snif, danger for boss' wallet, attack mode! Waf-waf, arf-arf, grrr, roar! Well trained dog, more of this, please! Anyone having some stuff with the smell of Dhammajayo on to provide to this dog's owner? ...Clockwork orange for the bold embezzler then!

Edited by bangrak
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Nice doggies, Coochie coo.

Nice Thai owners.

What ever could go wrong.

Hope the poor old monk recovers fast. :jap:

Oops,  just thought,  this could have easily been avoided , if they had just fitted the cute dogs, with a safety plastic bottle tied round there necks.

Silly owner, what was he thinking. :thumbsup:

Poor old monk? Why 'poor'? Sure? Where did you get that from? 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Sorry meny people in here don't respect Buddha monk etc I  really hope people who disrespect this will get ban from Thailand 

You are guest in this country so behave as nice guests so meny of your guy's only have sick comments 

I will never respect people with this attitude 

I am a "guest" in this country?

My Visa says otherwise.
I just got an extension for 1 year, and this was only because I could prove to have 800K Bath in my Bank account or an income of 65K Bath and certified by my Embassy.

I don't know about you, but I use to thread my guests in a different and more friendly way.     

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Sorry meny people in here don't respect Buddha monk etc I  really hope people who disrespect this will get ban from Thailand 

You are guest in this country so behave as nice guests so meny of your guy's only have sick comments 

I will never respect people with this attitude 

Buddhism is a great religion and I have respect for it but unfortunately TIT.i think it's a bit harsh to say ban all that speak bad about Buddhism.if it was like that then all the countries around the world should ban all muslims as they definitely haven't got one good word for any other religion.

Edited by happy chappie
Added com
  • Like 1

Our big girls (lab mixes) and certainly would do no damage to anyone, hate and bark at monks passing.

We have done nothing to discourage this,keeping in mind.... if the dog  doesn't like you  highly unlikely i would 

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

When I came to live in Thailand, I rent a house and mind to do my own business whilst in the mean time respecting other people.
Just like I was brought up by my parents.

Every morning, a group of monks passed my gate, hold their pace a few minutes, and continued their "begging" round.
But they were not pleased that I was not giving anything to a beggar.
(i don't want to discuss where is the difference between a beggar for religion and a beggar for personal need.)

A month later, a layman who was joining the monks in their "mindful doing", was ordered by the head monk to ring the bell at my gate.

I came out with my gf to see who was ringing and the head monk started to shout to my gf that we were not good Buddhists and we did not care for Buddhism because we didn't gave anything to the monks.

A monk "mindful doing his morning begging round"?
He should have learned the teaching of Buddha before starting to shout at my gate.

time to release the hounds

1 hour ago, Cereal said:

Pit bulls are naturally vicious and I don't trust them. Why anyone would need 10 of them, or numerous dogs of any breed is a mystery to me. I can see owning 2 dogs, they keep each other company, but that's about it.

All of these limp losers who claim all dogs are wonderful and it's the owners that make them vicious are nuts. Some breeds are more naturally vicious than others. Many of those breeds are small. For example, Shih tzhus, Pomeranians, Lhassa Apsos are all nasty, but you could easily punt one for a decent field goal. Pit bulls, on the other hand, you cannot. 

I remember back in the 70's when Doberman Pinschers had the same reputation. The breeders got together and through careful selection, bred that natural vicious streak out of them. My Dobie is going on 13 and she's a pussy cat around people, as is every other Dobie I've ever known. 

Pit bulls should be muzzled at all times if they are outside. Done!

Hypocritical much. What a ridiculous comment your "dobie" is fine because of its exquisite breeding but pitbulls ( FYI no such thing the registered breed is the APBT) are "naturally" aggressive. Wow! My pitties must have super duper special selective anti aggression breeding then. Insert sarcastic emoji here.

American-Temperament-Test-Society-550x450.jpg

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

I cry BS on this one. A single male pit bull can - and will - chew off a limb, rip off a face, and kill someone. Ten bulls would have made hamburger out of the frail old man.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole/os-pit-bull-attack-survivor-virginia-farley-20160809-story.html

http://www.sunherald.com/living/pets/article211264119.html

My pal's Akita was attacked by 2 pit bulls - the bulls were killed in seconds. He snapped the first one's neck, then he eviscerated the second.

syrus.jpg

So we better ban Akitas too then right? Sound pretty dangerous and aggressive to me.