Farm chemicals ‘pose a threat to public health’

webfact

Just now, webfact said:

“Moreover, the government has the duty to ensure a clean environment and healthy living conditions for all citizens, under our obligations to the international community to follow the SDGs.”

This was Noppadon Kitana, head of the Biology Department at the Faculty of Science, Chulalongkorn University, quoted above. Yes, I agree with what he said, but Noppadon has nothing to do with the government or what it does.

Even if I heard the above words spoken by anyone in the current "government", I wouldn't believe a word of it.

It would be pure lip-service, they have absolutely no intention of fulfilling any obligations to anyone - Thai or internationally.

The only obligations they have is fulfilling their own interests - financial and political.

• Like 2

Governments will bend to the will of corporate interests.  The academics who have a moral compass and are not paid off by the same interests act as a counter-balance to the Ag chemical industry which is more than willing to destroy the environment and the health of consumers in the name of profits.. 
Good for these academics speaking out! 

Edited by connda

2 hours ago, Lungstib said:

There is also mango, banana and lemon farms that get similar treatment.

Interesting, in that we grow these fruits on our land and are able to do so without chemical treatments.  It's nice to walk outback and pick fresh, unadulterated fruit off your own trees.

Bang Post ran this same story and in it was said that 53 country have already banned these chemical's ,so why is thailand trying to do all these study just ban it you are not that smart

29 minutes ago, ba ba said:

Bang Post ran this same story and in it was said that 53 country have already banned these chemical's ,so why is thailand trying to do all these study just ban it you are not that smart

You don't get it, do you? 

Thailand is a tropical country and thus likely to be more reliant on chemicals than countries that can rely on a good hard winter to eliminate most pests annually.

What is needed is a benefit/cost study: take a "suppose if" idea: forbidding chemicals results in some food getting much more expensive, so they would be buying healthy food(rice and potatoes) but probably couldn't afford most fruit and veg. otherwise. This is why poor people in the UK don't buy Bio, they go for the cheapest going. So they die younger, obesity and all the rest. 

• Like 1

Firstly you have to educate the farmers about health issues in the chemicals they freely use now...

then you have to get them to use an alternative....

Good luck with that one.... no change soon!!!!

Who would have known?  (sarcasm)

Some people are really quick on their feet (not). 

But can they convince the "government" to do something about it? I doubt if any changes for the good will happen anytime soon. Just more lip service (as mentioned by other posters) - standard Government response to problems and betterment will follow.

All BS!!

H0PELESS!!!!

Slowly poisoning yourself to death over years with a cancer or other illness that cannot be directly attributed to this whole big, wide and long running issue, but in many cases IS the trigger/cause.

I am back in UK and safe from being slowly poisoned to death!!

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Jutamaad revealed that not only can these chemicals have acute effects on health – the mortality rate for consuming paraquat is as high as 46.18 per cent – they also trigger severe chronic symptoms in humans. Recent studies revealed that prolonged exposure to these chemicals could significantly increase the risk of lung cancer and breast cancer.

I hate that they have grouped in highly toxic pesticides with a comparatively benign one (glyphosate), and then apply broad adjectives like "poison" and "toxic" to the entire group.  They also made a serious error by mentioning acute toxicity, which has already been well established.  Glyphosate is less acutely toxic than table salt, caffeine, hydrogen peroxide, aspirin and vitamin D3.

Chemical-Toxicity-Table.png.18b94ca75a49c183b10cb72fcefdd865.png

Bottom line is, they can ban synthetic pesticides and go back to the pesticides of yore, like lead arsenate and organophosphates that were true poisons, or they can forego pesticides all together and lose half their crop to pests. Or they can educate their farmers about proper integrated pest management techniques that developed countries are using with good success.

My prediction is that they'll do nothing.

Edited by attrayant
Image tag doesn't work any more?
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, OmarZaid said:

I'm seeing increasing incidence of cancers (young and old) and dementia among rural folks here i  N Thailand, It is truly amazing

OMG! The amount of people now with dementia and Alzheimer in Isaan where they  spray the glyphosate is staggering. If they surveyed these areas and correlated the chemical spraying and these ailments, along with cancers, and combined it with the western scientific evidence it should be a slam dunk to ban these chemicals (unless Monsanto has it's way). Even the neurologist in the Buriram Hospital said the numbers she sees now are really high. We are dealing with an in-law who sprayed his rice fields and he is deteriorating incredibly fast.

BTW the residue is in the rice! YIKES!

55 minutes ago, attrayant said:

They also made a serious error by mentioning acute toxicity, which has already been well established.  Glyphosate is less acutely toxic than table salt, caffeine, hydrogen peroxide, aspirin and vitamin D3.

Not sure where you got the chart from or who produced it but do some current research on Glyphosate and you will see this is one of the biggest health scourges in US right now. Of course Monsanto says the same thing regarding it as the tobacco companies did about the effects of tobacco!!

Not sure where you got the chart from or who produced it

It’s simple toxicity data which is generated by many governments and labs all over the world. This is an aggregate result of the consensus.

Do some current research on Glyphosate and you will see this is one of the biggest health scourges in US right now.

I’m not a scientists and so I don’t conduct my own firsthand research, but I do follow the research of bona fide scientists and researchers, and there is a pretty clear, broad global consensus on the safety of glyphosate.