US man dies after Philippines-made vape pen explodes and embeds pieces in his head

webfact

US man dies after Philippines-made vape pen explodes and embeds pieces in his head

Autopsy report said cause of man’s death was ‘projectile wound of head’, he also suffered burns on about 80 per cent of his body

A 38-year-old man in Florida was killed when his vape pen exploded, sending projectiles into his head and causing a small fire in his house, in what is believed to be one of the first deaths from an e-cigarette explosion.

allmadge D’Elia was found May 5 in the burning bedroom of his family’s home in St. Petersburg, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

An autopsy report released his week blamed a vape pen explosion for his death, according to local news media outlets.

Full story: http://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/2146433/us-man-dies-after-philippines-made-vape-pen-explodes

-- South China Morning Post 2018-05-17

• Haha 1

“No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body,” it said.

Not even a cellphone?

No explanation as to how such a small item could cause burns to almost 80% of his body.....

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

No explanation as to how such a small item could cause burns to almost 80% of his body.....

Not many people need it explained that an explosion that killed someone can cause a fire that can burn.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, chickenslegs said:
5 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

According to the OP,  it started a fire in his bedroom.

duhhhhhh

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Maybe the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly are right and vapes are dangerous. After all, I have never had a cigarette explode and embed itself in my head!

I think there have been quite a few incidences of fires being caused by them leading to fatalities though!

Nearly as dangerous as a phone these vapes!

15 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

“No other consumer product places a battery with a known explosion hazard such as this in such close proximity to the human body,” it said.

Not even a cellphone?

My understanding is that several people have been killed by exploding cellphones. Batteries exploding cause injuries and death albeit on a low scale. Battery rechargers are high on the scale for causing home fires

Interesting quote from the linked article's comment section.

Don't forget to check your shower water heaters, and make sure they are grounded.

The media never reports the whole story on such events. Most vaping devices use circuit boards that protect a user from short circuits. Smoke-E Mountain makes unregulated mods. They are basically a pipe or metal box with a button to complete a circuit. There is no circuit board to protect the user from malfunction. The problem with such devices is there are no electronic safeguards. If there is a short circuit or if the batteries are installed backwards they will explode.
All vaping devices should contain electronic boards to protect the user. Regulated mods with lithium-ion batteries are perfectly safe. There is no reason for unregulated mods to exist. They are a hazard to the user and people around them.

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Maybe the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly are right and vapes are dangerous. After all, I have never had a cigarette explode and embed itself in my head!

True, but no one has ever died because they fell asleep with a vape pen in their hand.

• Thanks 1