Wanted: Kindergarten teacher 4,000 baht a month - Thai social media goes bonkers

webfact

Wanted: Kindergarten teacher 4,000 baht a month - Thai social media goes bonkers

7pm.jpg

Thai social media went crazy after a school in Sukhothai advertised online for a kindergarten teacher for a monthly salary of 4,000 baht.

Netizens said that this would make it slave labor - well under even the Thai minimum wage.

Sanook reporters went to the Ban Pha Wiang school some 100 kilometers into the countryside from the city of Sukhothai where they found a desperate situation.

Five teachers had left the school and term was starting.

In addition a first year kindergarten class had a teacher who was sick and needed hospital treatment for three or four months.

So the staff themselves had clubbed together to scrape up a 4,000 baht salary for a replacement.

This has since been bumped up to 7,000 baht by the school operator but there are still no takers.

The advertisement said you needed a bachelor's degree to apply.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-05-18
  • Like 1

As always the reporters took the lazy route by just publishing what they read online without contacting anyone about the details.

I asked my aunt (in law) who is a teacher at a government school and she indicates her school pays around 6,500 baht for such a position. 

That seems like nothing but they sometimes give free housing with it. Plus free food, which you can also take home to share with family.

So who applies for these positions? Mostly people who have a farm and have little to do in certain months. They get up early, do some farm work, then go to school where they eat, do their supervising duties, and then take home all left-over food for their family. 

The writer of this article could have done the same research i did. It takes a few minutes only. For someone producing this kind of articles i would not pay more than 5,000 baht a month either.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Geez, we employ a girl for more than double that.. She has no qualifications and all she does is a bit of general cleaning, feed our animals, clean the chicken pens and watch the dog when we are not at home !!

Bet she wishes she'd got a bachelors degree now !!!

That's what I got a wife for, and the 8,400 baht a month has to cover lunch money at the school for 3 kids, some local village fresh veggies daily, anything left over can pay for her petrol on the motorbike and monthly water bill, yep, she's on a good wicket my Mrs is :post-4641-1156694572:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

That's impossible, the salary of government officials follows a table that you can find on Google, depending on rank and number of years in service, and not even the highest rank (and a government worker who has a rank equal to a 4 star army general does not actively teach anymore, and just a very small percentage of people will ever reach any "general" rank anyway) and maximum years reaches 80k

I thought the same but I assume Kasset Tak is including the off-the-record payments that senior teachers derive through their position. 80,000 - 100,000 a month cannot be the official salary of a government teacher.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DM07 said:

Just shows, how much this society, that claims to be so child- friendly, really works!

Thainess as it's best!

Firstly, you obviously don't know what 'Thainess' or kwam bpen Thai" actually is.

Secondly, you know nothing about Thai society, as it is much more kid-friendly than say the UK, USA.

Thirdly, nobody has to force their kids to go to the school and nobody has to apply for the job. 

I've put my 3 kids through the the Thai education system, how many have you?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

That's what I got a wife for, and the 8,400 baht a month has to cover lunch money at the school for 3 kids, some local village fresh veggies daily, anything left over can pay for her petrol on the motorbike and monthly water bill, yep, she's on a good wicket my Mrs is :post-4641-1156694572:

Do you take your 3 kids on holidays on the motorbike?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1