Do you need an international driving permit?

Coming back to Thailand for another lovely holiday in a month. Last time I got pulled and had to pay a small fine in cash with no receipt in Chang Mai. So I came home and realized I loved riding a bike and would get proper training and be legal. So I now have a full UK license for both cars and motorbikes. 

How my understanding is that the international driving permit is to convert it to English. So do I need one for Thailand or is my UK license enough? 

Googling throws up different answers - so I'm asking the experts on here. 

Edited by sammym

When I applied for my first driving licence (about 15) years ago an IDP was required along with my driving licence... I just needed a certificate of residence & medical check up certification. I had to do 3 checks at the DLT: colour blindness, reaction & proximity (distance / 2 sticks) test...

A few months ago I got my 1st Thei bike license with just my UK drivers licence (for car which also permits Small bike)... no IDP required. 

I still required the same MCU certification and proof of residence, and had to take the same tests. In addition I had to watch an hour long video.

Thus: I don’t think the IDP is necessary to transfer a UK licence to a Thai one.., go aling to your local DLT with MCU, proof of residence, passport and UK licence and see.... 

Edited by richard_smith237

But I don't live in Thailand. I just go on holiday there twice a year. 

I've been googling and it's not clear. I'm thinking for the sake of £5.50 I might just get one as I can't be doing spending time trying to argue with a police man on holiday. And I'd probably just give them 500baht to enjoy my day - which doesn't help anyone trying to do it the right way like I am now. 

• Like 1

Just get one, then you are safe.

Even if just the english license would be ok (I've seen people say it's ok, but i've never seen anything official stating this), what are you going to do if the police officer says that it's not ok? :P

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sammym said:

But I don't live in Thailand. I just go on holiday there twice a year. 

I've been googling and it's not clear. I'm thinking for the sake of £5.50 I might just get one as I can't be doing spending time trying to argue with a police man on holiday. And I'd probably just give them 500baht to enjoy my day - which doesn't help anyone trying to do it the right way like I am now. 

In that case it’s a no brainier...

Get an IDP and remove all doubt... 

(& remember to have it on your person when driving / riding)

Referring to the thread where foreigners are being targeted for renting bikes without a valid licence, also another where a German lad got kicked in the face.... It's seems the police are becoming quite privy to what licences you can and can't drive / ride with. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Even if just the english license would be ok (I've seen people say it's ok, but i've never seen anything official stating this), what are you going to do if the police officer says that it's not ok? :P

I posted it on another thread yesterday, in the law it says that they accept foreign licenses from countries that are members of a couple of conventions, which the UK is, but as you say, that doesn't help when stopped by the police and they say you need an international license.

The wording in this Pattaya news thread was more than clear:

Tourists must now have an international licence, their passport and home country driving licence when renting a vehicle in Pattaya. They must carry their documents with them to show to the police if stopped. 

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1037485-pattaya-police-get-tough-on-licences-fines-for-tourists-and-rental-companies-and-confiscation-of-vehicle/

The subtlety about this:

many countries issue an IDP based on 1968 convention which is still not acknowledged  officially in Thailand (more and more problem reports about getting a Thai DL with it). Only 1949 convention as issued in UK and USA e.g.

Edited by KhunBENQ

10 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1037485-pattaya-police-get-tough-on-licences-fines-for-tourists-and-rental-companies-and-confiscation-of-vehicle/

The subtlety about this:

many countries issue an IDP based on 1968 convention which is still not acknowledged  officially in Thailand (more and more problem reports about getting a Thai DL with it). Only 1949 convention as issued in UK and USA e.g.

Yes, that is what the police says, but not what the law says.

So with an IDP no problems, without one you can always go to court and ask the judge :)

• Like 1

If you don't have an IDP and get stopped likelihood is they will make a fuss and fine you. Happened to me a number of times in the past. Normally a 400-1000 baht fine depending on what way the winds blowing.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Get an IDP and have a current, valid license from your home country. 

In Chiang Mai you may get fined.  In Pattaya they make tow your bike and fine you, and you may even get kicked in the face by a local illegal taxi driver if you make a fuss over having your bike towed.  The further out in the provinces the less likely the BIB will care.  Places like Korat for instance. Depends on the cops and their ability to speak English. 

However, if you have an up-to-date IDP and your home-country license, its just one less thing you need to worry about. You're legal and you don't have a concern. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jackdd said:

I agree 100 % , just get one, it is not expensive  and in Thailand you will be 100 % safe with your UK licence and International Driving Permit. The cops in Chiangmai  will not be able to charge you. I live there and they really go after all the foreigners on motorbikes. 

Be sure when you get your International Permit that they put their little stamps in all the classe you can drive including motocycle. Sometimes they forget….

16 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The subtlety about this:

A less known fact is that any ASEAN drivers licence is also legal and reciprocal in other ASEAN countries. 

My mate was over in Chiang Mai a month ago on holiday, he got stopped by BIB (large road block maybe 10 BIB), he handed over his UK driving licence, was told not acceptable and needs an International Driving Permit, initially asked for 1000bht fine, paid 300bht. 

14 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Technically NO, as per the various treaties and Thai traffic act etc (so long as home license is in english), HOWEVER, in practice YES. Lots of Thai police, car rentals, DLTs will still want to see one.

Are you assuming that the police can read english?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In that case it’s a no brainier...

Get an IDP and remove all doubt... 

(& remember to have it on your person when driving / riding)

Referring to the thread where foreigners are being targeted for renting bikes without a valid licence, also another where a German lad got kicked in the face.... It's seems the police are becoming quite privy to what licences you can and can't drive / ride with. 

I always get international licence, no matter what the law says, the law is the policeman who stops you, if you have international licence, the police will let you go without 250 baht fine, so for the sake of £5.50 get one

• Like 1

There is a big diffferance 

the gray big international drives licence is valid if you are tourist

the other small card often fake international driver permit is not valid 

you stay longer you need a thai license .

ASEAN licenses are ok .

any other contry license is not ok 

remember no valid license 

no insurance 

2 hours ago, cnx355 said:

I agree 100 % , just get one, it is not expensive  and in Thailand you will be 100 % safe with your UK licence and International Driving Permit. The cops in Chiangmai  will not be able to charge you. I live there and they really go after all the foreigners on motorbikes. 

Be sure when you get your International Permit that they put their little stamps in all the classe you can drive including motocycle. Sometimes they forget….

They tend to forget if you don't have a full motorbike license.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes you definitely require IDP with your UK DL card. In practice ( Pattaya in particular) don't want to see the UK one just the international permit . Only ONCE  along Sukhumvit road  with big roadside checks  did they want to see both . An RAC IDP is 7.50p all in , just send them  photocopies of UK DL and passport, one passport sized photo signed on the back , a completed form and pay by giving  credit card details. Can be postdated up to 3 months , cannot be backdated, allow say 2 weeks to arrive. Can be less as most urgent are handled first. .. Ooh if renting you now need to carry passport with you to....crazy but true  according to news threads on TVF. 

ps It has nothing to do with if your home country license is printed in English . Obviously a UK license is in English but IDP still required . Even the RAC website says Thailand requires IDP .

As stated your UK license should be for M/C. I agree is very rarely checked , but in an accident... ?

Edited by Rolanddrums

Rules are easy. You can drive on a foreign license WITH an international on top of that. Thats it. More importantly is that the reason you want either that or a Thai licence is that your travel insurance or car insurance is not valid and they can decide to not cover anything. You can not drive a 110cc on your car license even you can drive a 49 cc in your homecountry on that. A separate motorbike license is needed. There is only one from 1 to 69689098578 cc. Doesnt matter.

To convert your foreign license to Thai you also need a letter from the consulate or embassy that proofs the license is real. Stamped and signed.

Remember also you only get a 2 year renewable thai license on a tourist visa and visa on arrival. With a non O or other long stay visas you get 5 years renewable by 5.

31 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

You must have either an IDP or a Thai licence. The licence of your home country won't cut the mustard here.

Its IDP "and" home license, IDP is not a stand alone license, it always accompanies your home license.

• Thanks 1

The actual legal requirement is to have an IDP here. You may well get away with it as far as the police are concerned but if you have an accident it will be a whole other ballgame. £5.50...GET IT! 
Police in Pattaya pull over tourists all the time, they stand out a mile with their stupid helmets and white skin. IDP is required