Do you need an international driving permit?

4 minutes ago, paahlman said:

To convert your foreign license to Thai you also need a letter from the consulate or embassy that proofs the license is real. Stamped and signed.

Depends on the individual DLT, most will accept home license, some will also require an IDP (as a translation), some DLTs that dont do many foreign conversions may also want the embassy stamp etc, they are in the minority.

6 minutes ago, paahlman said:

Remember also you only get a 2 year renewable thai license on a tourist visa and visa on arrival. With a non O or other long stay visas you get 5 years renewable by 5.

Your first Thai license is always a 2 year temporary license, regardless of visa status.

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Is it ok to get a Thai Driving licence from any DLT or must it be only the DLT in the area where one is living ?

It has to be the nearest DLT to your address stay in Thailand.

18 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Is it ok to get a Thai Driving licence from any DLT or must it be only the DLT in the area where one is living ?

You can go to other DLTs outside your area, I was living outside of BKK and the local DLT wanted my first borns birth certificate translated to swahili, took a trip to BKK and got license no problems, they didn't care less that residence was another province.. (that was Thai license using home license, maybe different for new license from scratch)

Like immigration offices, they all have different rules.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

Not true. I got mine From a different area no problem 

Wouldn't surprise me :thumbsup:  I have only experienced one friend trying to get a Thai DL from a nearer DLT Sukhothai but had to go P/lock as his address was under P/lock. 

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Wouldn't surprise me :thumbsup:  I have only experienced one friend trying to get a Thai DL from a nearer DLT Sukhothai but had to go P/lock as his address was under P/lock. 

As usual there probably is no rule. It's pot luck. 

• Haha 1

One of the biggest problems is with your license classification on your home country license. The Thai police do not understand this part of your license but with your IDP the classifications are the same for every country and it is stamped and signed for the classifications that you are legal to drive on.

I am Australian and my Australian license classification shows "CAR-R-MC" but the MC is not a motorbike, it is heavy vehicle multi combination (1 tractor + multiple trailers) the "R" is the motorbike license part and it is this type of thing that the Thai police do not understand.

I drove for a few months after moving to Thailand on US drivers license. Everytime I was stopped used my US license was asked for International Drivers Permit. I didn’t have and got fined several times and had to show registration etc on moto. 

The US International driving permit from AAA insurance etc.in USA. Is automatically translated to 10 languages valid for 1 year. 

Now have Thai license. With the recent crackdown on unlicensed drivers it may end up rental shops will require IDP. Simple reason moto 

gets confiscated if no DL.  

hey op,  cops are checking for IDPs with your home DL, there seems to be a crackdown going on and if you plan to stay here more then 2mnths they will wont to see a thai DL.  Having a Thai DL the cops will wave you through quicker and seem less interested in you.

41 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

One of the biggest problems is with your license classification on your home country license. The Thai police do not understand this part of your license but with your IDP the classifications are the same for every country and it is stamped and signed for the classifications that you are legal to drive on.

I am Australian and my Australian license classification shows "CAR-R-MC" but the MC is not a motorbike, it is heavy vehicle multi combination (1 tractor + multiple trailers) the "R" is the motorbike license part and it is this type of thing that the Thai police do not understand.

I had the same issue getting a thai DL,  I had to photocopy from the AU RTA website what the classifications meant and how they corresponded to each other.  I had a MR With R.

21 hours ago, sammym said:

But I don't live in Thailand. I just go on holiday there twice a year. 

I've been googling and it's not clear. I'm thinking for the sake of £5.50 I might just get one as I can't be doing spending time trying to argue with a police man on holiday. And I'd probably just give them 500baht to enjoy my day - which doesn't help anyone trying to do it the right way like I am now. 

Bring the International Driver’s License and you avoid the issues at police checkpoints in Chiang Mai.

Yes, be on the safe side. I now have a Thai licence been coming and going for 10+ years and have a house here. I always take international licence I use it also in Hong Kong, Vietnam and Malaysia. Very easy and fast to get one.

2 hours ago, Russell17au said:

That is why an Oz home DL needs a IDP unlike the UK photocard one that has all vehicles you can drive on.

It's just the case in Thailand with an IDP with a UK DL you don't get much bother and the cost of UK IDP is smaller than the fine wanted by the uneducated Thai police on there countries DL laws and as usual the mind set is to fine to get some dosh.

12 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That is why an Oz home DL needs a IDP unlike the UK photocard one that has all vehicles you can drive on.

It's just the case in Thailand with an IDP with a UK DL you don't get much bother and the cost of UK IDP is smaller than the fine wanted by the uneducated Thai police on there countries DL laws and as usual the mind set is to fine to get some dosh.

These are only reasonably new because there was an English chap the other day that needed to get a copy of what the UK classifications were when he went to get his Thai license. They are a good idea to have the picture of the vehicle on them

We were on a big-bike tour heading out of ChiangMai back in Feb. ,ran into a police trap we all had our IDL with motorcycle endorsement...except for buddy who had only car/truck endorsement and had to pay the 500b.

The cops recognized the IDL (no Thai-translation) and praised us for being "good" :sleepy:

So I would think you should be well o.k for your motorbike excursions.

Safe & Happy Travels

• Like 1

Go to a Crown Post Office, get your IPD - make sure they stamp your entitlement for motorcycle on the IDP before you leave the PO, covered for 12 mths in all countries named in the conventions (online) not just Thailand so is easy to get and have for no hassle at all when in LOS.

Also even on a SETV you can convert to a temp two year Thai licence for both car and bike if you wish, easy process to do. So if visiting LOS a lot maybe worth doing...?

• Like 1

Cops are not dumb these days.
I've been pulled over a few times, with all lights working and wearing a helmet.

All times they wanted to see the IDP, and I showed.  Was sent on my way without asking for anything.  Probably because a lot more fish were coming behind me.  (So many no helmets, licence, etc..)

The last time, I happened to have my old IDP as well, and Cop asked for it to show other "farang" what they were missing.  So I am now the example somewhere for someone, hehe.

Get it and keep it on you at all times, along with your home Country licence.

ALSO as some people may have written here, and earlier in other posts.  Having it also keeps 1 less reason for the Insurance not to pay out.  Should anything happen, of course we hope its never the case.

On 5/19/2018 at 10:54 AM, Peterw42 said:

An IDP is not an international license as many often refer to it as. Its a translation/permit document that accompanies your home licence, and only up to 90 days, after that you are required to get a Thai license.

Quite true, but if you are on a multi-entry tourist visa where you leave the country every 90

days your IDP resets and is good for another 90 days. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ulic said:

Quite true, but if you are on a multi-entry tourist visa where you leave the country every 90

days your IDP resets and is good for another 90 days. 

There is no 90 day limit, if you have anything official that says there is a 90 day limit post it.

As I understand it, you do not need an IDP if your home license is issued in English. Whenever

I was stopped in Phuket I was never asked for an IDP. My Canadian license was accepted.

The IDP does not translate your license into Thai. In Pattaya, the experience is totally different.

Most police can't read English. They have a sheet of paper that shows them where an IDP has

to be stamped to make you legal (car, motorcycle, etc). No use arguing with them. They just want

to collect tea money (no receipt) In your case for just a few pounds get the IDP. 

I just got a new one here in Canada. My old one (18 years old) cost me $10. My new one cost me

$42.50. (A CAA ripoff). That said she did not date the cover page, so it is good forever.

On another note, I had used my expired IDP for many trips. Never had a problem. They just want to

make sure it is stamped in the correct squares.

WIKI

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are

Edited by Ulic
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ulic said:

According to the UN Traffic Act of 1949 and the Thai Traffic Act of 1979, an IDP is not required if you are a tourist/visitor in Thailand as long as your license is in English, has a photo, and your country is a contracting state of the 1949 treaty, which most are

The part "as long as your license is in English" is not true

The term "tourist/visitor" is not precise, the Thai law says "temporary permit"

45 minutes ago, Ulic said:

That said she did not date the cover page, so it is good forever.

An international driving permit from the 1949 treaty is valid for a year.

If yours doesn't have an issue date somebody might say it's not valid at all instead of "forever" ?

Edited by jackdd

In the Pattaya area they most certainly are requiring an IDP and making money on it. The IDP requires the home country licence to be with it, but I don't hear they insist on both. Yesterday the police were out in force, the target appeared to be helmets and seat belts.

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is no 90 day limit, if you have anything official that says there is a 90 day limit post it.

The Motor Vehicle Act B.E. 2522. section 42,  Does not specifically state 90 days, it states that you can only use home license/IDP if you are "not" on an non-immigration visa/extension. IE: can only use home license/IDP on a visa exempt, tourist visa etc, the longest possible stay on a visa exempt, tourist visa is 90 days.

Put another way, once you are on a Visa/extension were you start doing 90 reports, home license/IDP is no longer valid.

This site gives a good explanation and has links to the motor act.

http://driving-in-thailand.com/type-of-driving-licence-required/

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

I have been hiring and riding motorcycles in Chiang Mai many times, when on holidays, with a valid Australian Licence and have been pulled over by cops for licence check, never  had a problem. The rules state, if you have a valid licence with Photo and in English you are allowed to drive in Thailand if you are a Tourist or Visitor, however some insurer stop after 90 days, even so you can legally drive up to 1 year on your Licence.

18 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

Yes you definitely require IDP with your UK DL card. In practice ( Pattaya in particular) don't want to see the UK one just the international permit . Only ONCE  along Sukhumvit road  with big roadside checks  did they want to see both . An RAC IDP is 7.50p all in , just send them  photocopies of UK DL and passport, one passport sized photo signed on the back , a completed form and pay by giving  credit card details. Can be postdated up to 3 months , cannot be backdated, allow say 2 weeks to arrive. Can be less as most urgent are handled first. .. Ooh if renting you now need to carry passport with you to....crazy but true  according to news threads on TVF. 

ps It has nothing to do with if your home country license is printed in English . Obviously a UK license is in English but IDP still required . Even the RAC website says Thailand requires IDP .

As stated your UK license should be for M/C. I agree is very rarely checked , but in an accident... ?

RAC website means nothing.

Legally IDP is not required, but recommend to avoid problems with police.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rolanddrums said:

Yes you definitely require IDP with your UK DL card. In practice ( Pattaya in particular) don't want to see the UK one just the international permit . Only ONCE  along Sukhumvit road  with big roadside checks  did they want to see both . An RAC IDP is 7.50p all in , just send them  photocopies of UK DL and passport, one passport sized photo signed on the back , a completed form and pay by giving  credit card details. Can be postdated up to 3 months , cannot be backdated, allow say 2 weeks to arrive. Can be less as most urgent are handled first. .. Ooh if renting you now need to carry passport with you to....crazy but true  according to news threads on TVF. 

ps It has nothing to do with if your home country license is printed in English . Obviously a UK license is in English but IDP still required . Even the RAC website says Thailand requires IDP .

As stated your UK license should be for M/C. I agree is very rarely checked , but in an accident... ?

My post doesn't say LEGALLy required it says required. RAC website means something as without IDP  many here would already have received umpteen penalty notices . 'Recommended' is an understatement , ..more like ' ESSENTIAL'

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

I'm not a solicitor nor can I read Thai , nor could be bothered to read Thai law even if I did . Virtually every cop in Pattaya wants to see IDP. (Or Thai)..end of

Edited by Rolanddrums