Please watch out for PayPal Fraud...

jenny2017

It seems to happen more often now. Best is to type Paypal's address into your browser.

Here's an exceptional example on how they try to screw you:

You must update your informations.
Dear Customer, 

Some information on your account appears to be missing or incorrect. 

• We're updating our eligibility requirements for PayPal Purchase Protection and Seller Protection.
  • Please update your information promptly so that you can continue to enjoy
    all the benefits of your paypal account.
  • If you don't update your information within 72 hours. we'll closed.

If you don't update your information within 72 hours. we'll closed??????? Be warned. You've gotta be kidding.....?

• Like 1

When ever I get such a mail either from paypal, a bank where I may have accounts or the phone/cable operator in Europe, I make it a point to plainly delete and give them a phone call,  if in doubt that it may be true. Naturally, never use the phone that is supplied in the doubtful mail, but make a seperate search.

9 times out of 10 it is usually an attempt to fraud.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Jenny, was this from an email or displayed on the webpage from your Favourites/bookmarks?

If a webpage, you have been phished. Delete the favourite or bookmark straight away. Type in the url in your browser and remake if you need to.

If it was email, what was the actual sender's email address? This is always the first thing I would look at. Never click on a link in a dubious email.

It was an e-mail directed to me. Thank you very much for your input! I've reported them at PayPal and deleted it, as they told me.

I was trying to trace the mail, but it didn't exist, so they seem to use some special software that's hard to trace. 

Edited by jenny2017

In trying to sell my watch on eBay & other sites I've received some rather elaborate scam attempts... 

The PayPal account was quite am impressive attempt with a very realistic emailed receipt of payment & link to a fake 'login page'... 

Of course, no such payment was ever made.

ALWAYS log in to financial sites (any site) directly and NEVER from a link in an email or message.... 

Seen lots of PayPal fraud attempts via my email address. You can detect them by hovering your mouse over the senders e-mail address - it shows the address it came from which is usually an address non-related to Paypal. The e-mails try to trick you into signing into your Paypal account - then presto! They have your password. 

You can report these fraudsters by forwarding the e-mail to [email protected] 

Edited by thenewgoo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

It was an e-mail directed to me. Thank you very much for your input! I've reported them at PayPal and deleted it, as they told me.

I was trying to trace the mail, but it didn't exist, so they seem to use some special software that's hard to trace. 

The 'spoofing' of email addresses is not difficult and the means to send emails from all sorts of address is easily available to the scammers.

Its not too hard to pick these sites if you have your wits about you.

Typing mistakes etc.

Pasted documents in the web pages  that look real. 

Most are relayed using several sites.

So they go through maybe 8 countries before they get to you.

The biggest give away is..

PayPal never do this sort of thing.

Nor do the banks..

If you get one. 

Its phishing for information. 

Delete. 

Heaps of free utilities to check out dodgy emails.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup?gclid=CjwKCAjw_47YBRBxEiwAYuKdwxIURD7w6QUoK7NADUHMgDzChxmIz1gtG8c0WO4uQHHldecZODVORRoC7LQQAvD_BwE

Edited by dallen52

I used to be able to right click on the email list and open the properties of that email and it would give you the senders IP address but things have been changed so now I cannot do that, and even some of the things with "whatismyipaddress.com" do not work.

6 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

no special software required for this.....just use this site.. https://10minutemail.com

It self destructs in 10 minutes

Paypal is a favourite target of scammers, because Paypal is tied to every user's bank account. Which why I never use it. If I can't pay the seller by other means - no sale.

Every year, a new scam pops up with Paypal. One would think they would want to make their brand secure.

I agree with 'observer90210'.

This has been going on with (non) PayPal for years. I get at least one a month from the PayPal scammers.

I also get them from my bank and my credit card which again are all scams.

A good way to tell is to look at what comes after the "@" from the email from the sender.  

If you get a email from PayPal it should be from @paypal.com not @uk.hotmail.com or what every else the scammers use.

The latest one I got from my bank which is Bank of America, was @bnkamerca.com.

LeoTex

17 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Paypal is a favourite target of scammers, because Paypal is tied to every user's bank account. Which why I never use it. If I can't pay the seller by other means - no sale.

Every year, a new scam pops up with Paypal. One would think they would want to make their brand secure.

Do you use Internet Banking with a Thai Bank?

PayPal is no more or less secure than my Thai Bank account.

All that's required is a log in and password.... (And an OTP for 'most transactions)

My accounts overseas have an additional level of security with a 'security device'...

I'd agree that PayPal could be a lot more secure, but, it's exist for convenience and offers buyer protection...  It's a secure as we make it... Change Passwords regularly!

On 5/21/2018 at 6:25 PM, jenny2017 said:

your informations.

The deplorable English should be one clue. Surely a moment's reflection on the crudely written message and a check on the actual sender of the email would make it obvious.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:25 PM, jenny2017 said:

If you don't update your information within 72 hours. we'll closed.

Of course if it comes from a Nigerian royal you can definitely trust it.

It barely qualifies as a scam if its success relies solely on the stupidity of the recipient.

Forward the email and a copy of the source to:

spoof@paypal.com   ( spoof  @  Paypal.  com)

Edited by Suradit69

25 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

The deplorable English should be one clue. Surely a moment's reflection on the crudely written message and a check on the actual sender of the email would make it obvious.

Of course if it comes from a Nigerian royal you can definitely trust it.

It barely qualifies as a scam if its success relies solely on the stupidity of the recipient.

Forward the email and a copy of the source to:

spoof@paypal.com   ( spoof  @  Paypal.  com)

Would you have read my post, that was the first I did and I also deleted the mail. 

"It barely qualifies as a scam"? Please give me a break. 

BTW, if your mom, or dad would fall for it, would you still call them stupid? 

There are enough people who just don't know basic things and this thread was only a warning that these buggers don't get richer as they already are.

And looking at the writing, it could also be from one of the ASEAN member countries, without naming it now. 

Edited by jenny2017

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

These last two years, I have used Paypal without anyproblem ; it seems to be secure 

And also, the last sentence " If you don't update your information within 72 hours, we'll closed " : really a thread ! Never seen a thread in an " official " message 

sorry, but people who take seriously this scam are idiots ( of course I don't speak of the OP ?

20 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Not necessarily so. My Paypal a/c is connected to a MasterCard which itself is a pre-pay card. Overall that means I can only ever lose what I've got on that card. Doesn't prevent someone from trying to scam me of course, but lessens any losses if I do fall for it.