Do you really like living in Thailand?

Matptg

21 minutes ago, Airalee said:

You complain about the “arrogant Thais” and then you post this?

And, fwiw...true ballers don’t live in ฿23,000 condos and drive Fords.

Just answering to a person about my lifestyle. I have been arrogant after the person offended me. Lile said before, I apologie for seeming arrogant

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Hi, i am Italian too, and i like living in Thailand (not in Bkk) .

I find ironic that you condemn the arrogance of rich Thais, and then you come on TVF to flaunt about your wealth.

That said, i think you're just having a bad day, and you need to vent off a bit..If you see something you don't like, just look the other way, plenty of things to be happy instead of drowning in sorrow.

Caro amico,

Like said before, I apologie for appearing arrogant but that comment was out of place, really.

No bad day at all, just sharing some thoughts

1 minute ago, Matptg said:

Caro amico,

Like said before, I apologie for appearing arrogant but that comment was out of place, really.

No bad day at all, just sharing some thoughts

Yep, understand, yet life is too short to be bothered about the behaviour of other people.

1 hour ago, jakethepeg said:

Not rocket science. If you like big cities ,new York, London, Sydney , Paris etc you will love Bangkok .

If you like this then go up country Isaan way ?

Vehemently disagree. Please be cautious when comparing a right dump (Bangkok) to world class cities like New York, London, ect. 

Bangkok has nearly none of the trappings of a nice city. Very little culture, very little vibe, mostly boring, arrogant Thai-Chinese, no tradition of intellectual curiosity in the local population, 2nd rate international food (though excellent Thai food), shoddy pavements ilsuited for walking, horrendous traffic, very few green spaces, no orderliness (locals have no idea how to walk properly, for example), ect ad infinitum. 

Bangkok is more an overgrown village than a city. 

59 minutes ago, Matptg said:

Hi Alex,

I have lived in Paris, London, Singapore, Toronto, Amsterdam...I am from Milano, in Italy. I can assure you that I am extremely adaptive and only in here I find hard to adapt myself

But never.........The East?

It is very different.......and so are the people.

Get rid of the bourgeois girlfriend, avoid the Thai bourgeoisie in the future.....the idea of getting mixed up with them appalls me.

Start again and give it another year.

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

You sound like someone who fails to appreciate as you travel around the world that the cultural norms in other countries are completely different from your home country. You can't expect to arrive in Thailand and not find differences in behaviours. I like some aspects of Thai culture, but not all. The smiling approach is preferable to the western confrontational approach ... the avoidance of conflict over trivial matters is no bad thing. Maybe you are best staying at home?

I thought the same about the confrontational approach vs non-confrontational approach. However, we might think differently when a Thai doctor kills a patient or a driver kills one of our friends or an elevator falls killing several people. 

It is only from a selfish, protected position that we can disregard Thais inability to confront problems efficiently. When it affects us, our perspective changes. 

1 hour ago, Matptg said:

Wrong. I am a rather wealthy person too. I am just sharing my thoughts

Well, then you have a huge range of options, since you are a wealthy person. It is just to choose what you want to do, isnt it? I can, so can you, and If I was you, and you are continue to stay in Thailand, Hua Hin is the destination for you. Here you will find everything you longing for. 

40 minutes ago, Matptg said:

Just answering to a person about my lifestyle. I have been arrogant after the person offended me. Lile said before, I apologie for seeming arrogant

Better to ignore comments you don’t like.   Why let your blood pressure rise over someone else’s comment?  Your life in Thailand does however sound like you jumped in with both feet first without testing the waters.

To answer the OP, after 10 years in Bangkok, I have learned to be OK living in Thailand. 

It has been a process of learning to find the things I like and avoid and ignore the rest. 

For example, I find Thai people (rich and poor, isaan and Chinese, educated and not) mostly incompatible with my personality, so I avoid them generally. I have friends here from many other countries Asian, African, European, American. 

However, I do like the weather and easy approach to life and easy access to the beach, for example. 

So I learn to be happy. 

I

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

Hi, i am Italian too, and i like living in Thailand (not in Bkk) .

I find ironic that you condemn the arrogance of rich Thais, and then you come on TVF to flaunt about your wealth.

That said, i think you're just having a bad day, and you need to vent off a bit..If you see something you don't like, just look the other way, plenty of things to be happy instead of drowning in sorrow.

I just wanted to say openly that I find your post full of wisdom, and positivity.

Good to see that there are still happy people around here and elsewhere.

In the meantime, continue to enjoy and have fun, as that's what life is all about ultimately.

31 minutes ago, AntDee said:

I thought the same about the confrontational approach vs non-confrontational approach. However, we might think differently when a Thai doctor kills a patient or a driver kills one of our friends or an elevator falls killing several people. 

It is only from a selfish, protected position that we can disregard Thais inability to confront problems efficiently. When it affects us, our perspective changes. 

You seemed to have missed the word "trivial"? 

Seems to me that the OP has two issues:

1) He doesnt like Bangkok. Well, it's a big city like all others and that usually means crowds and long periods of time spent in traffic/public transport. On the plus you have lots of shops, lots of restaurants and lots of competition, so most prices are low for what you get. So I would say that Bangkok is OK if you can find a nice condo with a good view and good facilities, and if you dont have to go out every day. If none of those apply then probably best to move out of the big city.

2) He doesnt like Thais. Well, neither do I particularly, though I dont dislike them as individuals. It's just that apart from breathing the same air I have nothing common with them, and I find it best just to have as little to do with them as possible. I certainly dont like the way they have no compunction about lying, and will happily come out with the most ridiculous excuses in a desperate attempt to save face.

As for the issues about politeness and smiling, by holding the door open for a Thai you are putting yourself in the position of a servant. You should expect to be treated accordingly.

Smiling is an automatic Thai response to confrontation. It does not mean anything, and it certainly does not mean humour. Better get used to it because they wont be changing any time soon.

your right about that crap eating grin / non-response / stupidity stuff, I've seen it and it's pitiful. I've got a lot of patience and it still infuriates me. Thais do it really we'll.

still dreaming about the slap to the back of that guys neck, but never had the balls to do it.

youll get it less with less affluent working class families up north or in Isaan, who are closer to Laos by the way.

if you can't avoid it being loaded or having a large Chang or thai whiskey everywhere you go can make it funny and take the edge off.

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you just say rich Thais don't like to work?

Is your girlfriend the same?

She will expect you to be the "leader" if you know what I mean. You should google the word because that's what better off Thai women will use instead of support.

I had a pretty well off Thai woman in Canada. She still expected me to be the "leader". She dumped me and I'm sour grapes, but I noticed that her husband now is some failed real estate agent and surprise, surprise.... she is a real estate agent too. Sorry, but I am in no business getting someone a job. Good riddance, after all, I guess.

Anyhoo.... I completely understand the rest of your post. I am originally your poorer neighbor from the east of Italy with the same mentality. Bangkok is a joke, but there is something that keeps me here..... the mess....the hypocrisy..... the life. I like the noise unlike the boring, suicidal life in Canada. You being from Italy, you don't have to go back to Canada, but I do. You're lucky.

Hi.

we have talked about this leader thing already at the very beginning of the relationship and agree that I am not going to be that kind of leader. This is another aspect that I don't like of this country. Women relying too much on their men and the families of the women expecting the men to be carry everything on.

Here doesn't matter how hard you work, they just want to be sure you can provide for everything and families want money too to "be sure you can give a good life to her daughter" ( so stupid this one to me)

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Well, then you have a huge range of options, since you are a wealthy person. It is just to choose what you want to do, isnt it? I can, so can you, and If I was you, and you are continue to stay in Thailand, Hua Hin is the destination for you. Here you will find everything you longing for. 

thank you again for your advice. we might try Chiang Mai she told me. But if it is for me my edge goes on the north european countries. Still have some time before the baby grows.

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

But never.........The East?

It is very different.......and so are the people.

Get rid of the bourgeois girlfriend, avoid the Thai bourgeoisie in the future.....the idea of getting mixed up with them appalls me.

Start again and give it another year.

Thank you for your advice

2 hours ago, AntDee said:

Vehemently disagree. Please be cautious when comparing a right dump (Bangkok) to world class cities like New York, London, ect. 

Bangkok has nearly none of the trappings of a nice city. Very little culture, very little vibe, mostly boring, arrogant Thai-Chinese, no tradition of intellectual curiosity in the local population, 2nd rate international food (though excellent Thai food), shoddy pavements ilsuited for walking, horrendous traffic, very few green spaces, no orderliness (locals have no idea how to walk properly, for example), ect ad infinitum. 

Bangkok is more an overgrown village than a city. 

at the end someone that agrees with my point. 

17 minutes ago, Dick Crank said:

your right about that crap eating grin / non-response / stupidity stuff, I've seen it and it's pitiful. I've got a lot of patience and it still infuriates me. Thais do it really we'll.

still dreaming about the slap to the back of that guys neck, but never had the balls to do it.

youll get it less with less affluent working class families up north or in Isaan, who are closer to Laos by the way.

if you can't avoid it being loaded or having a large Chang or thai whiskey everywhere you go can make it funny and take the edge off.

thank you for understanding my point

17 minutes ago, Matptg said:

It may also make you more angry as time goes on (kind of a failure to accept) so watch yourself and take breaks home where people seem more normal or to different other countries as needed.

thats what happened to me, but it took several years, not six months.

I think you are a troll or a bit mixed up; why do you mix with or observe people you don't like? 

Why do you get one pregnant? Living here 7 months and still have to point out what you want to eat, while you get a kid with a local here, learn the language. 

8 hours ago, Matptg said:

I am an italian citizen, therefore European. We can go to live anywhere in there. Thank you for your reccomandatio

There is a huge Thai community in Rome, there's a mega Asian market / meet up in Eur each month, your lady would be more than happy there. I met my wife in a Thai restaurant near Termini station ?

Decent weather, great food and wine, I loved Italy, then we moved to Belgium ☹️

12 hours ago, Matptg said:

Sorry for being so long but I have no one to talk with

There is the majority of your problem, leaving yourself too much time to think.

Thailand, along with every country, will seem alien to most when they first arrive and start living here. Don't let the hi-so get to you if they don't affect your life. Thais are used to it, it is their problem, not on you. Again, social media is not Thais alone, this is a global thing with idiots everywhere posting crap to be one up on everyone else. Mellow out and enjoy........................?

To the OP;
your perception of Thai people is wrong, it is them who look at you this way, you are the rude unfitting person invading their space.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

7 hours ago, Matptg said:

Well..you have certainly kept your cool under the barrage of insults.An interesting approach and one conducted with very good manners.

Best of luck for whatever you decide to do.

12 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Bangkok is not the best place to live as it has an edge of being too cement-ish. But it certainly does have its qualities. Lived there years ago and visit a lot, but would not live there again.  October till now is not a long time at all either. One goes through growing pains or does an about face to get the heck out of here pains.

If you are going to take your kid out of here and it sounds as if it is to the USA, then you better get started with the processes now as it will take you quite a while to sort through, and then the little lady is not guaranteed to go with you as the USA is a bit difficult with Visas.

Yes, Thai can be superficial and huge racists, but you go to Mexico and you a re a Gringo. 

Basically you are looking too hard into it so need to take another step back. the USA aint all that and I would rather live no other place except here. My kids are 23, 17,15 and half and half. 

And your kids are minus the education they will need in life unless you have paid over $500,000.00 USD in " Proper School" fees or they are happy with the Thai life.

Archived