Do you really like living in Thailand?

Matptg

2 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

It was one of the upstairs bars with no sign outside, in the suburb next to mine, but I can’t say in which direction, for fear of the excisemen

Ahmmm the upstair bar with no sign outside... know that one

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Matptg said:

wisdom of the night. 

Lighting your farts in daylight is not the same; except maybe from the the fart’s perspective.  I’ve never seen it from that viewpoint before.  I understand now why some people are opposed to fox-hunting

Rich peoples problems.....

I don't mix well with most rich people in Thailand because most of them did not work for it.

Many rich people in my own country worked hard and i find that that earns respect.

I am 'middle class' and mix well with 'normal' people. I like Terminal 21 better then Paragon, a kebab better then some kobe steak. I first started to learn the language but i decided against continuing it.

English has been a great filter and filters out most uninteresting people right away.

I hold open doors and people hold open doors for me. Smiles and thank yous are exchanged.

Some arrogant MF's that barges in and stand before me in a waiting line will get my and my wifes fury.

Yes, even if it is just for an icecream at Dairy Queen. They apologize very quickly.

Learned that some things you just don't accept. Rudeness in its worst form is one of them.

My biggest problem with Thailand is shoddy workmanship, especially on houses or condo's.

Learned my lesson (twice!) and will not happen again.

I solved it by doing most of the needed work myself, which also keeps me busy. Thai workers are just to carry heavy stuff and work that even my untrained 6 year old nephew can do.

Interacting with adult Thais as children is surprisingly effective. I notice very quickly if they are adults or still stuck in their temper driven 5-year old stage especially when they not get their way. If they do act like adults which is maybe 80% with men and 20% with woman then we get along fine.

Still adapting. Still didn't burn any bridges.

edit: deleted a bunch of linefeeds. Sorry....

2 minutes ago, Khun Jean said:

I don't mix well with most rich people in Thailand because most of them did not work for it.

Many rich people in my own country worked hard and i find that that earns respect.

I am 'middle class' and mix well with 'normal' people. I like Terminal 21 better then Paragon, a kebab better then some kobe steak. I first started to learn the language but i decided against continuing it.

English has been a great filter and filters out most uninteresting people right away.

I hold open doors and people hold open doors for me. Smiles and thank yous are exchanged.

Some arrogant MF's that barges in and stand before me in a waiting line will get my and my wifes fury.

Yes, even if it is just for an icecream at Dairy Queen. They apologize very quickly.

Learned that some things you just don't accept. Rudeness in its worst form is one of them.

My biggest problem with Thailand is shoddy workmanship, especially on houses or condo's.

I solved it by doing most of the needed work myself, which also keeps me busy. Thai workers are just to carry heavy stuff and work that even my untrained 6 year old nephew can do.

Interacting with adult Thais as children is surprisingly effective. I notice very quickly if they are adults or still stuck in their temper driven 5-year old stage especially when they not get their way. If they do act like adults which is maybe 80% with men and 20% with woman then we get along fine.

Unlike burning your bridges, lighting your farts still lets you turn back - or even turn the other cheek

3 minutes ago, Khun Jean said:

Thank you for understanding my point. 

I said them I was there first and to step back, the man looked at me and...smiled. I told him please don't smile it's not a situation that requires a smile. He smiled more.

Contact us now or request a telephone or email call-back

As ex sufferers we know how you feel but we also know how to recover. Just one call to our team of qualified recovery experts will prove to you that you can and will recover.

Call us now:

Freephone 0800 0699898

SIMPLE RECOVERY INSTRUCTIONS  & 
UNLIMITED PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT 
IF/WHEN YOU NEED IT

VERSIONS: ONLINE - PRINTED - WORKSHOP - RESIDENTIAL

SIMPLE RECOVERY INSTRUCTIONS  & 
UNLIMITED PROFESSIONAL SUPPORT 
IF/WHEN YOU NEED IT

VERSIONS: ONLINE - PRINTED - WORKSHOP - RESIDENTIAL

1 hour ago, Matptg said:

because we are talking about some whiskey, please, go find an hobby to bright your life...

The point is your total hypocrisy how you " hate the wealthy Thais here and would like to slap them around all day ". How your GF goes on FB showing how much money she has and you don't approve. It is hard to read into that any other way. You came on here with your story, I'm just calling you out on the BS. Sounds to me you need to find a way to brighten your life.

4 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

The point is your total hypocrisy how you " hate the wealthy Thais here and would like to slap them around all day ". How your GF goes on FB showing how much money she has and you don't approve. It is hard to read into that any other way. You came on here with your story, I'm just calling you out on the BS. Sounds to me you need to find a way to brighten your life.

Maybe his perception of “arrogant Thais” is really just a reflection of his own personality.

OP, how old are you ? you say you have only been here since October last year, and now your bird is up the duff, have you or her not heard of contraception ? How long have you known her - been together ? Not exactly a planned future is it, were you planning to marry ? How are her family with the news of a grandchild on the way ? 

You are about as dumb as can be on the above, sorry pal but your ignorance & arrogance ( I have more money than you attitude) shines through brightly, and a Ford Everest is hardly anything to brag about.

I have read all (currently) 15 pages of this crap, and to be honest I have more sympathy with the guy on another thread who came back to a 12+ k Baht water bill than I do for you.

Please answer the above questions if only to put us out of our misery.

4 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

OP, how old are you ? you say you have only been here since October last year, and now your bird is up the duff, have you or her not heard of contraception ? How long have you known her - been together ? Not exactly a planned future is it, were you planning to marry ? How are her family with the news of a grandchild on the way ? 

You are about as dumb as can be on the above, sorry pal but your ignorance & arrogance ( I have more money than you attitude) shines through brightly, and a Ford Everest is hardly anything to brag about.

I have read all (currently) 15 pages of this crap, and to be honest I have more sympathy with the guy on another thread who came back to a 12+ k Baht water bill than I do for you.

Absolutely have more sympathy for the guy who's truck got covered with shit running out the pipe. Too bad it wasn't OPs Ford Everest.

2 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Never been my intention to offend any one by saying about my life style in here, and yes, if I mentioned about that was just with the intention to answer to a very unpleasant comment that was stating I am in bad conditions ( so that guy is ok to offend me but if I say I can afford to buy a car and i live a pretty much good life I am arrogant? ok). Like previously said, I met her during a vacation in Japan, then she came to Europe for a vacation, then I went back to Asia for work, then she went to the US for a course and I went there too because in that period I was living and working in Canada. It s now around 4 years. The family is ok with that. Anyway guys, really, no need to answer to this one anymore. In the thread I am sure you have read answers given politely, with no offences. You just gave me the dumb... in a blog where I was just asking for opinions... come on son

9 hours ago, Matptg said:

well let's not exaggerate. The Lagavulin I drink here is the classic 16 year old and the bottle, if you buy in a shop, stands at around 5300 baht. The glass is 500 in the bar

I drink 'Full Moon' wine coolers, 32bht in 7-11 and a free table and chair outside to sit and drink them.

I enjoy living here.

Vietnam (Circle K) and the Philippines (7-11) give slightly better service though, they have tables and chairs inside the air-con shops to eat and drink their quality foods.

5 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

I drink 'Full Moon' wine coolers, 32bht in 7-11 and a free table and chair outside to sit and drink them.

I enjoy living here.

Vietnam (Circle K) and the Philippines (7-11) give slightly better service though, they have tables and chairs inside the air-con shops to eat and drink their quality foods.

Of course, you are free to drink what you like where you like and to tell you the truth I once used it to cook and at the and the meal wasn't half bad. And yes, 7-11 in the Philippines is actually the best one I saw in Asia so far. 

There's nothing in the OP that hasn't been like that for at least 30 years, so the OP apparently didn't try before moving in.

He doesn't even understand the Thai smile.

It's not going to get any better, but having produced a child, it's a bit late to be deciding it's not for him.

• 2 months later...

After many years, I only have two serious complaints.

First is the poor quality of schools-- even so-called top international schools-- and the overall educational/intellectual environment. Arguably, for younger kids, it's manageable but when it comes to secondary school, it's a real limitation. Solved that problem by taking the family back home for the high school years. Overall, though, I feel that Thailand is no place to raise kids, sorry to say.

Second, very few of my foreign friends have stayed long-term. They usually hang around for up to 5 years, then move on to further their careers or for other personal reasons. Most other long-termers I see are significantly older (and so share few hobbies), or they drink too much, complain too much, shack up with ridiculous women, have no interest in the language, people, or place, etc.

Fortunately, I haven't experienced bad marriages, greedy relatives, ornery neighbors, cons and schemes, etc. Of course, there are plenty of other annoyances, like bad driving, dual pricing, garbage where it shouldn't be, poor service, traffic, urban sprawl, immigration laws-- you know the story. But somehow, these seldom really get to me; I just let go. Misery is its own punishment, so why punish myself?

After many years, I only have two serious complaints.

First is the poor quality of schools-- even so-called top international schools-- and the overall educational/intellectual environment. Arguably, for younger kids, it's manageable but when it comes to secondary school, it's a real limitation. Solved that problem by taking the family back home for the high school years. Overall, though, I feel that Thailand is no place to raise kids, sorry to say.

Second, very few of my foreign friends have stayed long-term. They usually hang around for up to 5 years, then move on to further their careers or for other personal reasons. Most other long-termers I see are significantly older (and so share few hobbies), or they drink too much, complain too much, shack up with ridiculous women, have no interest in the language, people, or place, etc.

Fortunately, I haven't experienced bad marriages, greedy relatives, ornery neighbors, cons and schemes, etc. Of course, there are plenty of other annoyances, like bad driving, dual pricing, garbage where it shouldn't be, poor service, traffic, urban sprawl, immigration laws-- you know the story. But somehow, these seldom really get to me; I just let go. Misery is its own punishment, so why punish myself?

Well we brought our son back here when he was 12 ,because the school he was going to in the UK was awful , he went to a private school here ,then university and now has a first class job earning a very good salery,has a terrific girl friend who also has a very good career ahead of her.i am an old long termer who has been married for over 22 years so i dont drink to much or complain or go around with ridiculous women,funny i am much like all the other guys i spend time with,also pay the same as Thais,as salespeople can tell if your a local and not a short timer.
In short i love it here

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Well we brought our son back here when he was 12 ,because the school he was going to in the UK was awful , he went to a private school here ,then university and now has a first class job earning a very good salery,has a terrific girl friend who also has a very good career ahead of her.i am an old long termer who has been married for over 22 years so i dont drink to much or complain or go around with ridiculous women,funny i am much like all the other guys i spend time with,also pay the same as Thais,as salespeople can tell if your a local and not a short timer.
In short i love it here

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Good for you, always nice to hear about a positive experience. We'll celebrate our 20th anniversary in December, and my 19th year in-country over the past 25.

Ciao mate..Bangkok perhaps not for you..the world you see are the world you been thinking if you know what i mean.

few of your points are quite true btw..yes most Thai people are like a child, learn through alot from my relationship and having Thai man friends for social and business reason.But hey, you gotta live and learn didnt you ?. I been going to Europe, never to US ( bcoz  i didnt like there ), most of SEA COuntry , Japan,living in Singapore for 3 yrs, live in Bali for nearly 20 yrs back and forth.  Thailand are like the best country to live in SE Asia IMO , you can do both business and pleasure  and culture shock are very common for people from different culture..Ciao Good Luck

380912414_Loeiporch.PNG.4b85ba0aad3762acb07bef1350bde056.PNG516852165_Loeihouse.JPG.c87b915ced14618f4d7ba1595d6de413.JPG99381811_loeiyard.PNG.b95dc8138876f3507890dc9d57bcb822.PNG367871999_SunriseLoei2017.JPG.039d584591e9203f3d5cb83a17aca714.JPGI lived and worked in Thailand for 3 years.  2 years up country in Loei and one year out of BKK, with a lot of travel up country.  BKK was tolerable because we had a great tiny wooden house in a large compound guarded over by the old Khun Ying who also lived there.  But that was 40 years ago!  I cannot imagine living there now, and I've only been back for visits every 5-10 years.  We came back to the USA to have and raise our children. 

Soon, I hope to get back to our house in the suburbs of Amphur Muang Loei and spend some time. Boring to some, but we're old.  We own the house and have relatives and friends from way back in town.  No Hi-So friends, but some of them have done well over the years to the tune of $4 to  8 million USD net worth.  Just hard working, low-key people.

Anyway, I cannot imagine raising a family in BKK these days. 

33 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

380912414_Loeiporch.PNG.4b85ba0aad3762acb07bef1350bde056.PNG516852165_Loeihouse.JPG.c87b915ced14618f4d7ba1595d6de413.JPG99381811_loeiyard.PNG.b95dc8138876f3507890dc9d57bcb822.PNG367871999_SunriseLoei2017.JPG.039d584591e9203f3d5cb83a17aca714.JPGI lived and worked in Thailand for 3 years.  2 years up country in Loei and one year out of BKK, with a lot of travel up country.  BKK was tolerable because we had a great tiny wooden house in a large compound guarded over by the old Khun Ying who also lived there.  But that was 40 years ago!  I cannot imagine living there now, and I've only been back for visits every 5-10 years.  We came back to the USA to have and raise our children. 

Soon, I hope to get back to our house in the suburbs of Amphur Muang Loei and spend some time. Boring to some, but we're old.  We own the house and have relatives and friends from way back in town.  No Hi-So friends, but some of them have done well over the years to the tune of $4 to  8 million USD net worth.  Just hard working, low-key people.

Anyway, I cannot imagine raising a family in BKK these days. 

Love your pics and your train of thought.

20 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Love your pics and your train of thought.

Thank you.  We are humble people, though thankfully not without means these days.  My wife was one of 6 kids and her mother was only occasionally "married".  The older 3 worked hard from an early age.  Most were of Vietnamese heritage, so there's that. 

I like to visit Loei after a 10 or so year absence and get accosted by vendors in the market who know us. One time, a gal drove by in a nice SUV as I was walking and yelled out my name.  That is the benefit of living in a small town.  Old friends ...

• 4 weeks later...
Those aren't expats, those are students.  Next thing you know, you will say English teachers are expats!

Just saw your comment. I agree they have come as students and then return as expats. The EU has an amazing program for students to study Japanese for two years and then go into internships.

For what it is worth I have lived in Japan since 1972. First as a student then as an expat working for multinational pharmaceutical companies.

Also, while in the USMC I studied Thai for one year at the Defense Language Institute. So, I do have a long term love and respect for Thailand and her people.

Are English teachers expats? Sometimes since many have made their lives in a foreign country. I think they play an important role in encouraging contact between peoples. Japan also thinks so. There is the JET program where young graduates from English speaking countries spend two years working as assistant teachers in public schools all over Japan. Many of these people go on to work in Japan as teachers and as business people.

I think it is sad that many people on TV love to “diss” people. Most of the problems many people have seem to be culture shock. Of course questionable partner choices do aggravate culture choice.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived