What makes Thailand so unique?

webfact

15 hours ago, KiwiKiwi said:

If tou learn to read smiles AND body language/microgestures, you won't be feeling very much at home, you be feeling like an assassination might help. Or an axe-murder.

Learn to speak the language properly and you'll be speaking Thai batter than 65% of Thais. And you'll learn what it feels like after a lobotomy. Enjoy your 89 IQ - sawatdee chiiwit mais.

Agree. The smiles are mostly plastic. But, heaps of older guys are given to believing the smiles are confirmations of their hyperinflated self-images. Or, they simply are too old to notice any nuance. 

Ignorance is bliss. 

2 minutes ago, AntDee said:

Agree. The smiles are mostly plastic. But, heaps of older guys are given to believing the smiles are confirmations of their hyperinflated self-images. Or, they simply are too old to notice any nuance. 

Ignorance is bliss. 

Smiles anywhere are mostly plastic. More fake people in the west.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Smiles anywhere are mostly plastic. More fake people in the west.

No countries in the west known as "land of smiles" or similar. I thought Thailand was famous for the smiles, no? 

Just now, AntDee said:

No countries in the west known as "land of smiles" or similar. I thought Thailand was famous for the smiles, no? 

I never hear that silly slogan in real life talking to people. No regular Thai ever says it. No farang either.

Seems to be popular on expat forums for some reason.

• Haha 1

Thailand is only about a hundred years old. It doesn’t have any culture. It does have a very active marketing division spouting propaganda though. There are some very bright and interesting needles in the corrupt, rubbish strewn haystack if you can find them amongst the plethora of lies.

• Like 2

who said that thailand was unique? it is just another southeast asian country  that has not caught up with it's neighbors! the only thing thailand leads in SEA is the death rate on it's roads! But it is not a bad place to live if you live in the northeast.  (isan)

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 3:39 PM, PhonThong said:

Well, if the shoe fits!

That's the problem. If the shoe fitted, i doubt anyone  would grumble. The problem is the shoe not only doesn't fit, it isn't even a shoe..

The use of color by the people. The do with what you have attitude, example, a old banner held down by water bottles for a sun and rain shade. The abundance of flowers and fruit. The people are the best, Number 1 in the world. The food is excellent, pet pet is very good. The trucks advertising with speakers. Thailand becomes a whole different crazier world at  night. The temples are beautiful. The poor people are happy. In the USA, the poor people are very unhappy. The malls on the weekends with the gorgeous microphone girls and ladyboys. The markets everywhere. The walking streets. The festivals, especially Songkran and Loy Kratong, and Yee Ping in Chiang Mai. The devotion to Buddha. Bangkok, Hua Hin, Chiang Mai, NKP, Rayong, Aonang Beach, Krabi, the towns and villages, and the islands. AND much, much, more. I am amazed, I am laughing more, and in awe every day. But please don't drink the water.

Edited by themerg
  • Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 5:48 AM, timewilltell said:

Thailand is only about a hundred years old. It doesn’t have any culture. It does have a very active marketing division spouting propaganda though. There are some very bright and interesting needles in the corrupt, rubbish strewn haystack if you can find them amongst the plethora of lies.

Thailand is only about a hundred years old.

Which Thailand are you referring to? Any referrals?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Thailand

Very polite unassuming respectful people despite disrespect shown by visitors and such like.

Absolutely fantastic place. Feel much safer in thailand than anuwhere I have ever lived  in 'good old back home'

Britain especially I find to be terribly racist and surprisingly even brit tourists are more often than not extremely xenophobic.

Always begs the question 

'If you hate all non english speaking and non whites why bother leaving your home town'?

Such people still come in droves and some even settle but alas never leave their petty prejudices behind.

Not all mind you .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, themerg said:

The abundance of gold. In the USA, the temples would need armed guards to keep from being robbed for the gold

Hate to tell you, but it's paint. Available at every hardware shop.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Very polite unassuming respectful people despite disrespect shown by visitors and such like.

Absolutely fantastic place. Feel much safer in thailand than anuwhere I have ever lived  in 'good old back home'

Britain especially I find to be terribly racist and surprisingly even brit tourists are more often than not extremely xenophobic.

Always begs the question 

'If you hate all non english speaking and non whites why bother leaving your home town'?

Such people still come in droves and some even settle but alas never leave their petty prejudices behind.

Not all mind you .

Nevermind

Have a nice day anyway

From reading the Posts on this subject, it sounds like try using and see what it gets you.

It is an official Thailand ID card.

It will probably get you The Thai price at Art in Paradise, Temples, National Parks, and other things.

Flash it like it's your 1 Card.

44 minutes ago, themerg said:

From reading the Posts on this subject, it sounds like try using and see what it gets you.

It is an official Thailand ID card.

It will probably get you The Thai price at Art in Paradise, Temples, National Parks, and other things.

Flash it like it's your 1 Card.

Only a  Nut case pays to go into a temple !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

Edited by stanleycoin

On 5/27/2018 at 2:20 PM, Expatthailover said:

Always begs the question 

Not all mind you .

Fair enough, so are you completely ok with the rampant xenophobia here?  And they certainly used to be polite and respectful but the change these past fifteen years is massive, and not for the good.  To be honest you sound extremely prejudiced!!

And are you ok with the whole money can buy you out of anything thing they have going here?

My point is, you may like it here more than home but try not to lose sight of the fact that whilst Thailand works for you more, certain things back home are far better, more civilized.  Its about compromise, whether you like one or the other.

By referring to "Brits" you are obviously American because no one else really refers to people as "Brits" like you lot do.  So, regards to gun crime, you must feel like home from home!??  Whereas, for example people from the UK that has proper gun restrictions, find the level of gun crime here and in the USA for that matter quite disturbing.

• Like 1

What makes Thailand so unique?
Well... having an exclusive forum like TVF, where foreigners living in Thailand can bash Thailand unmercifully even without any intention of leaving! Very unique, indeed!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1