True call quality - horrible

DrTuner

Is it just me or do other True move sim card holders have really crappy sound quality, like everything is cut above 1000Hz and the volume even when cranked to max is low?

I can barely understand what the other end is trying to say, especially if it's an overseas call. Skype, line, etc on the same Samsung S8+ are crystal clear so not a hardware problem. Enabling VoLTE does nothing.

Is this a new problem? I mean, was everything was fine until some recent point? 

13 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I can barely understand what the other end is trying to say, especially if it's an overseas call.

Are they speaking a different language? Did they call you? Did you call them? Did you use a low-cost option (009)? International calls introduce all sorts of additional issues, which may not be solvable. HUACB - hang up and call back. Are domestic calls OK? Or not?

Does this problem occur when you are in one location, many? Calling another on AIS, DTAC, True? With headphones? Do others experience a similar problem when using your phone? Can you try an AIS or DTAC SIM briefly to see if the problem remains?

Skype and LINE use a different network (internet), so suspect something amiss with your exact location. It could be an issue with the phone (GSM sub-system), and trying another SIM would eliminate that problem.

I can barely understand what the other end is trying to say, especially if it's an overseas call.

I always have trouble understanding what anyone says on a mobile phone call, regardless of who they are or where they are. That's why I never use a mobile phone for calls if I can possibly avoid it. Whether the carrier is True or not makes no difference.

For a decent result I use VOIP on my PC with a USB headset. Works fine.

The reason I was asking other True users is my wife & kids got AIS and they work fine. I also have sometimes had trouble with 4G speeds near our home.

Today, I got another new phone (not samsung), plugged the sim into it and tried calling - perfect quality. Which is really strange since the S8 had perfect quality with M1 in SG and CSL in HK. For some reason the combination of True sim card and S8 caused the codec that's used somewhere along the line to use a way too high compression algo, is my best guess. 

Archived