Maintaining an identity in one's home country - Have you let your driver's license expire?

In the US in my state of residence, it is necessary to renew one's Driver's License in person every other  renewal.

Each renewal is for 4 years.

If I'm living abroad at that time, it will be a choice of flying back to the US for that purpose primarily, or letting the DL expire.

I'm wondering what the experience has been for those of you who maintain an identity (mailing address etc. used for financial relationships) in your home country.

Have you let your DL expire without renewing at some point, and has that affected your relationship with banks/credit card companies/other financial institutions which is my primary concern.

At the least, I see it as making it very difficult to impossible to obtain new accounts for banks/credit cards/financial exchanges.

Perhaps a passport would suffice when personal ID is asked for on those applications?

I would think it would or could raise suspicions not having a DL.

I wouldn't want to use a non-US DL for ID on an application, as that would be tantamount to admitting that I am living abroad.

Edited by JimmyJ
Just renewed my U.K licence, took 5 mins online... I prefer to have both Thai and home country valid at all times..

Thant is good you can do it online.

I think Australians need a photo and eye test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This is for those from the US.

I was under the impression that you need to be a resident of the state where your licence  is issued  and if you move you need to change your licence to your new location of residence with in six months.

IMO If one maintains a licence in a particular state, such person is claiming that he/she is a resident of that state , has a US tax liability, and is required to fulfill that states requirement such as jury duty. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

My Florida DL expired many years ago. I use my accountant's address in US and also a mail forwarding company.Never had any problems with the bank, credit card ,finacial institutions or investment company arising from the expired DL. I worry a lot less about my US accounts after I have an international account and bank account with Charles Schwab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
I renewed my Queensland licence online last last year - no problems.

Ahh maybe just NSW behind the times. I have the renewal in front of me and no online option. Have to show up for a photo and eye test.

You can get a 1, 3, 5, 10 year expiry but with the 10 must be under 44 [emoji20]

Edit: ohh I need my glasses! ...a small box saying “you may be eligible to renew online”. Will try.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Ahh maybe just NSW behind the times. I have the renewal in front of me and no online option. Have to show up for a photo and eye test.

You can get a 1, 3, 5, 10 year expiry but with the 10 must be under 44 ?

You can do NSW online, a couple of friends have done it. so long as the last time they took your photo was less than 10 years ago.

https://www.service.nsw.gov.au/transaction/renew-nsw-driver-licence

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

I have a CA license at the moment....have done the renewal online, but this time was told they have to see me in person.....not to worry, will be getting a new one in Nevada and can cut CA out of the state income tax loop....win, win for me.....and just in time tor renew my Thai 5 year license when am come back. :-)

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Yes, just checked and I can’t do online. Need an eye test. Damn!

Not sure of your circumstances but its usually no eyesight test (or photo) is required if the last one was under 10 years ago.

Not sure of your circumstances but its usually no eyesight test (or photo) is required if the last one was under 10 years ago.

Over 45 it’s every 5 years.

I always get the max 5 year licence so it’s a check every time for me.

Over 45 it’s every 5 years for eye test. Yes 10 for photo.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

You are indeed correct... I always maintain a postal address, bank accounts etc in U.K..

Might need a bolt hole at some time in the future !!

And get on the voter's roll as well and vote by proxy. Belt and braces.

The continuing ability to legally stay long-term in Thailand is something we have absolute no control over. If one has a national birth right with all the citizenship, residency, banking, driving, work and health care options as part of the deal, why would one ever consider forgoing any of that in favor of some over-rated, fleeting, quality of life improvement but ultimately temporary stay in this country?

I am sure that those who have pursued Thai permanent residence and citizenship have done full due diligence and accept their choices and the consequences thereof. Others that have simply burned their bridges due to not liking their home government, a failed marriage or otherwise feeling personally disaffected should consider their alternatives in case things go terribly pear-shaped in LOS.

My plan A has always been my home country, plan B thru Z involves Thailand, Cuba, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, USA  and all the other places where I hung my hat for a bit.

• Like 1

Ran into a catch 22 on the last visit.....

The Thai license was good for rental cars, but we keep a car & an RV stored there....

I was forced to renew my expired licence because I could not find insurance without a CDL to be able to drive my vehicles....It was like being persona non-grata.....I used a buddy's address & got the license renewed....

Without the license I would have had to use car rentals + purchase their insurance for the 3 months there - along with the costly inconvenience of hotels & restaurant dining.....The cost of hotel rooms in the SF area has gone insane at a minimum $200 per night for a regular, plain room.....

Canada 5 year expiry. Must show proof of residency - income tax form, utility bills.

Health care - a majority of your time must be spend in the province or territory you claim residence in for your health care to remain valid. 183 days per calendar year minimum.

No residency - no provincial health care so no travel insurance as this is a requirement. For health care plans purchased in Canada.

If you return, you will be without health care for 90 days - to fulfill the residency requirements for your province. So no getting sick in LOS and auto get taken care of in Canada when you step off the plane.

23 minutes ago, BaanOz said:

Over 45 it’s every 5 years for eye test. Yes 10 for photo.

Yes good old Auss, way behind the times

Under 45 your ok & can get a 10 yr Lisc. 

Over 45 you have to do a an eye test every 5 yrs (at a motor registry ) & only get lisc. for 5yr - Now why cant these fools except a medical cert. from a Doct ( not that they would believe an out of country one anyway ), so it can be done on line.

The Lisc. shall be sent to your Home land address - You can only apply once out of state (not back to back )

No Auss institute sends overseas

9 minutes ago, simon43 said:

I still have an old pink paper UK licence, albeit very tattered now. It was issued about 20 years ago and still has another 10 years before it expires...

I also have a UK pink paper license - issued in 1977 and valid until 2025.

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

You are indeed correct... I always maintain a postal address, bank accounts etc in U.K..

Might need a bolt hole at some time in the future !!

Interesting info mate. Mine expired years  back it was one  of the green ones, I wouldn't mind renewing it for the reasons you state, I still have a UK address and bank acc.

So it's easy to do online, even if it was from years back?...do I just google DVLA Swansea and go from there? Cheers.

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

U.K is valid for 10 years and cost a few bucks only.

Why not keep it valid, you never know what the future might hold. Could save you a headache down the road ?

The photo licence has to be renewed every 10 years for obvious reasons, but the main driving licence is valid up to the age of 70 then has to be renewed every 3 years which can be done online.