DL on Non-O Visa

Hello all,

I'm not working, so I have no work permit. Neither me nor my Thai wife own property (no house or land book); we rent while I'm going to attend university in BKK next semester (I haven't started yet). I have a Multiple entry Non-O visa (marriage). My wife and myself are both listed on the house contract where we rent (and registered @Changwattana). Will a house contract suffice for the Certificate of Residency to get a motorcycle license?

I have to make a trip to the embassy soon, should I spend the $50.00 USD while I'm there and get one from the Embassy? Also, off this forum topic (sorry), should I buy multiples (2-3) of the Cert. of Residency? I've read that to open a bank account requires one.

Seems a few things needed to be legal in Thailand require this Cert. of Residence, and if I have to book an appointment at my embassy and pay 1700 baht every time it's a bit frustrating. Am I misunderstanding?

Thanks in advance for all help!

@Kwasaki Thanks for the reply. I'd rather just get it done without a lot of running around. I've never tried for a license. I've not a clue what's needed, only what's posted up here in the forums.

I got car and motorbike last week on a simple 30 days on arrival stamp.

Go to immigration cost 500 thb only.

Bring them copy of contract or the condo/house thats enough!

Medical certificate (go to some small clinic) big hospital is a rip off in terms of cost!

Photocopy of passport and visa!

However you need book your queue can be over a month waiting time.

Chaeng Wattana immigration will not do a certificate of residency unless you are doing 90 day reports to them. The fee is 200 baht and they send it to you by EMS in about 3 weeks.

Since you have a multiple entry non-o visa from a embassy or consulate that would mean you are not doing 90 reports. Your only choice is to get one at your embassy.

You should not need a certificate of residency to open a bank account. Your wife should be able to act as your reference to open a account. She would need her ID card and a copy of house book registry. If she has a bank account it would be easier if you applied at the same bank.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Chaeng Wattana immigration will not do a certificate of residency unless you are doing 90 day reports to them. The fee is 200 baht and they send it to you by EMS in about 3 weeks.

Since you have a multiple entry non-o visa from a embassy or consulate that would mean you are not doing 90 reports. Your only choice is to get one at your embassy.

You should not need a certificate of residency to open a bank account. Your wife should be able to act as your reference to open a account. She would need her ID card and a copy of house book registry. If she has a bank account it would be easier if you applied at the same bank.

Depends on the bank Joe.

I wanted to open a second account locally so when working in a neighbouring country I could use the atm card from it instead of my main account. 2nd account would only have 30,000 a month in it to limit loss if the card got skimmed/lost etc.

Wife was with me with all paperwork in hand and her account details at the same bank. I was refused an account because I didn't have WP. Had Non O etc res'  cert from Imm'

Ended up my wife opened a 2nd account got the atm card and book and handed them to me in front of the staff saying to me you use these, I don't want them.

Edited by overherebc