Boy, 8, killed riding bike to school in Nong Bua Lamphu

webfact

Boy, 8, killed riding bike to school in Nong Bua Lamphu

By The Nation

boy.jpg

A third-grader riding his bicycle to school was struck and killed by a pickup truck in northeastern Nong Bua Lamphu province on Thursday morning.

Eight-year-old Sompong Deecharone died of severe head injuries after being knocked from his bike and dragged for about 30 metres along Nong Bua Lamphu-Suwan Khuha Road in Muang district at 7.45am.

Pickup driver Parinya Buttaradachaki, 28, said the boy suddenly veered into the right lane in front of him and he didn’t have time to stop.

Sompng was on his way to classes at Ban Don Yanang School in Tambon Nong Phai Soon. He lived with his grandmother while his parents work in another province.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30346175

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-24

It's easy to be wise after the event but did the pickup driver not see the child on the bicycle in the inside lane or in the motorcycle lane and anticipate that he might wobble out and move over well in advance?

It's called 'Reading the Road'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

HELLO !! where does it say MOTORBIKE ?? try reading before posting

And a look at the photo might also have helped :wink:

So sad, now the parents will only see him a last time before the funeral.

Grandma in tears (from Thairath).

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GRg3ddFojIldNhjQCZ.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its always the same, someone comments without digesting the information accurately.. Bicycle... 

That said - 8 years old is too young to be traveling alone to school... BUT, what other transport alternatives did the parents have? 

If they were both at work in a factory making ends meet its difficult to be judgmental. But a parent simply packed their child off from their house at that age instead of taking them to school themselves then the parents are complicit in the tragic loss of their child. 

I agree with your comment about the (IQ)  and reading level of some posters on TVF.        The forum rules state it's an English  language forum.   If a person is  challenged  to read and post in English, rather than make such mistakes as this poster did, I suggest they  find a forum in their native tongue

This boy was riding a push bicycle from all appearances.  

And  depending on the location, I don't find an issue with a younger person going off to school by him  or herself.   

Edited by watcharacters
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Double fault.

Better read the article first.

Another child left at the grandparents who probably are not capable to bring him to school.

It's 7:45 AM, THE time when so many children are on the way to school.

Do you think motorists would look out and take extra care?

Of course not.

Here when children walk on the road (no pavement) the hasty pickup drivers will not slow down but give a good honk.

Yep, this is true. The other point is the child was apparently dragged for 30 meters. Under average stopping conditions (no accident, that is) the pickup would have been going around 60 km/h but the increased resistance caused by the child & bike suggests the pickup was going considerably faster, 70-80 km/h perhaps?

My condolences to the family.

23 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

Yep, this is true. The other point is the child was apparently dragged for 30 meters. Under average stopping conditions (no accident, that is) the pickup would have been going around 60 km/h but the increased resistance caused by the child & bike suggests the pickup was going considerably faster, 70-80 km/h perhaps?

My condolences to the family.

I don't see how Thailand can easily correct the sidewalk issue.

The roads were largely built before the  increased use of  passenger vehicles.    Widening roads to allow for sidewalks seems a little late in the game to me.

Same goes for the thousands of narrow streets in town after town.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its always the same, someone comments without digesting the information accurately.. Bicycle... 

That said - 8 years old is too young to be traveling alone to school... BUT, what other transport alternatives did the parents have? 

If they were both at work in a factory making ends meet its difficult to be judgmental. But a parent simply packed their child off from their house at that age instead of taking them to school themselves then the parents are complicit in the tragic loss of their child. 

Kettle and black come to mind here. He lived with his grandmother while his parents work in another province. Now who isn't digesting the information accurately? ???

• Like 2

Maybe they trust Buddha more and just don't care ?  The kids are protected and if it happens it happens. Many Thais think like that . 

21 hours ago, peperobi said:

Is always the same, the parents have no time to bring the child to school so he drives himself by motorbike...

I used to walk about 5km to school everyday, sometimes I would ride my bike.. 

My parents didn't have time either !! Damn sure if I'd had access to a motorbike, I'd have ridden that too.

If the pickup driver is to be believed, then this was just a tragic accident. Road safety and awareness is hardly a priority in the education of children here !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

When I started Junior school in the UK (aged 5), my mum dropped me off the first couple of weeks, then I walked on my own, same as everyone else. The western world has become abnormal, children were never restricted in the past. Car drivers were more careful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very sad.  Too bad someone in the family couldn't have coached the young fella how to get safely to school on his bike (not arguing  who is at fault for the accident).  Yeah, yeah....TiT

On 5/24/2018 at 2:02 PM, peperobi said:

Is always the same, the parents have no time to bring the child to school so he drives himself by motorbike...

bisycle . Headline wrong again as usual . Bike and bicycle are not the same . Thats said . By 8 years of age  i have been cycling to school 2 years already . Bear in mind , not in Thailand .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, John Egil said:

bisycle . Headline wrong again as usual . Bike and bicycle are not the same . Thats said . By 8 years of age  i have been cycling to school 2 years already . Bear in mind , not in Thailand .

Thanks, my friend! in Thailand is for an 8 years old child even the bicycle very dangerous, good parents have to take care of. I living next to a school and I see daily how those peoples passing the school morning and afternoon when the children coming out. Thanks again.

On 5/26/2018 at 9:12 PM, Redline said:

Don’t ride bicycles here

Why ? Don't ride motorbikes here? 

Been on my bicycle for 7 years , never had an accident. But I stay away from the main roads where all the trucks and speeding drivers are. . It's good exercise.  

3 hours ago, balo said:

Why ? Don't ride motorbikes here? 

Been on my bicycle for 7 years , never had an accident. But I stay away from the main roads where all the trucks and speeding drivers are. . It's good exercise.  

I have 3 friends, 2 Thai and 1 foreigner, that have been badly injured with multiple surgeries being hit by both cars and motorbikes riding bicycles.  I guess you could say the same about riding in minivans, or on motorbikes.  But, bicycles are more vulnerable though because of the Thai concept of~bigger and heavier earn the respect of right of way.  Damage from a bicycle would be minor, so there is no respect for them.

I have 3 friends, 2 Thai and 1 foreigner, that have been badly injured with multiple surgeries being hit by both cars and motorbikes riding bicycles.  I guess you could say the same about riding in minivans, or on motorbikes.  But, bicycles are more vulnerable though because of the Thai concept of~bigger and heavier earn the respect of right of way.  Damage from a bicycle would be minor, so there is no respect for them.

Of course it will be more risky here than in a civilized country that respect the traffic rules, but if you only stick to the smaller sois and beach rd , there's not much to worry about as long as you have your eyes open at all times and do not drink or use drugs.

Most of the accidents I read about also happens at night.

You will never find me on a bike in Sukhumvit rd.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2018 at 3:32 PM, PETERTHEEATER said:

It's easy to be wise after the event but did the pickup driver not see the child on the bicycle in the inside lane or in the motorcycle lane and anticipate that he might wobble out and move over well in advance?

It's called 'Reading the Road'

It's called the reading the article. "The boy swerved suddenly not leaving the driver time to stop".

On 5/25/2018 at 12:21 PM, cornishcarlos said:

I used to walk about 5km to school everyday, sometimes I would ride my bike.. 

My parents didn't have time either !! Damn sure if I'd had access to a motorbike, I'd have ridden that too.

If the pickup driver is to be believed, then this was just a tragic accident. Road safety and awareness is hardly a priority in the education of children here !!

Yep me too I'm guessing none of these guys were never kids or were "silver spooners" whose parents dropped them to school in the car everyday. I was walking myself to school everyday by grade 2 (6-7 years old) same as you about 5km and I roamed for miles on me little bmx my mum never had a clue where I was just as long as I was home before the street lights came on. Easy to be judgemental I guess.

Edited by starky
  • Haha 1