SPECIAL REPORT: Thai junta steers education reform to nowhere

webfact

SPECIAL REPORT: Thai junta steers education reform to nowhere

By Chularat Saengpassa 
The Nation

c9e19735e6471f90c39e6f643ec5b05c.jpeg

FOUR YEARS after the 2014 military coup, Thailand’s education sector is still stuck over the same old question: which way forward?

Uncertainties prevail, despite the many pledges and efforts for education reform. 

9d7428a8bbfd1a05ffef1d1c4afd21b4.jpeg

New initiatives, which include reducing class hours to give children more time for well-rounded development, have kicked off only to falter over the past four years.

The junta may take pride in the fact that several education laws have been passed under its tenure. 

But concerns linger over the preparation and drafting of the laws, given that the new Education Bill is not yet ready.

“The National Education Bill, or framework, has not yet come out. But [much of] what is supposed to be inside this framework has already been rolled out. This means problems may occur in the future,” pointed out Assistant Professor Athapol Anunthavorasakul, a lecturer at Chulalongkorn University’s Faculty of Education and director of the Thai Civic Education Centre.

He also hinted that education laws and reform might not head toward the same direction. 

b0283084aef448fdc5063661b50ebf69.jpeg

Athapol

For example, while the Early-Childhood Education Bill seeks to ban exams for children up to the age of 8, school graduates look set to undergo tough examinations to enter universities. 

“And what will teacher-producing institutes do with their programmes when the Early-Childhood Education Bill is introduced as law?” Athapol asked. 

The educator also raised doubts about the enforcement of the Equitable Education Fund Act and the upcoming National Curriculum Development Centre Act. 

“Will works done under these new laws clash with the Education Ministry? Will the Education Ministry, as a key implementation agency, co-operate well with new agencies established under the new laws?” Athapol asked. 

He warned that efforts made in good faith could backfire if there were no clear and proper policy direction.

8835f6a14f88be94ac997c80be95a722.jpeg

Although Athapol reckons the establishment of the Independent Committee for Education Reform (ICER) is a clear step towards reform, he remained worried that complications could arise. 

“By the third anniversary of the coup, we had hardly seen any clear progress on the educational front. It was only after the ICER was established [last May] that we started seeing visible progress. Yet that has also brought us concerns.” 

He said that apart from the lack of direction for the overall picture, there are issues of a lack of co-ordination, inclusion and integration. 

“How will the civil sector and the government sector work together?” 

He added that the Education Ministry is in fact apparently reluctant to make any moves. 

“Agencies under the ministry have hardly moved forward. It’s as if they are waiting for new agencies to start new things,” he said. 

Such an approach suggests that new agencies established for so-called educational reform may merely follow in the footsteps of the Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment (ONESQA). 

Established under the 1999 National Education Act, ONESQA assesses schools’ quality but its findings have rarely translated into school improvements given indifference on the part of authorities. 

608250d53f9b51bae2cdd93faa651174.jpeg

Kunthida

Kunthida Rungruengkiat, an independent academic with knowledge of Finland’s famed educational systems and who recently co-founded the Future Forward Party, said she had noticed little tangible progress on the educational front during the past four years. 

“There are some new projects, such as coupons for teacher development and the Pracha Rath schools. But I don’t see what students get from these initiatives,” she said. 

She also lamented the fact that instead of decentralising educational organisation, the authorities have centralised power under the current government. 

“The government should have realised that each area may have different educational needs. So it’s best to offer independence to local agencies in handling educational affairs.”

Under an order of the NCPO chief, provincial education committees were established with a goal of preventing corrupt promotion of local teachers and educational staff. However, the committees have caused management problems in several areas with top local education officials unwilling to co-operate. 

Athapol said problems in the country’s education sector stemmed partly from a failure to base decisions on empirical research. 

“That’s why we have this back and forth movement. Whenever a project attracts protests, policymakers will show reluctance and sometimes backtrack. This is because nothing has been built on solid research. They have no clear reason or evidence why they should not back down,” Athapol said. 

9b7f03977275c31b6468929103d0e55c.jpeg

Daranee

ICER member Daranee Uthairatanakit is optimistic about what can be done in the future, though. 

“We expect new agencies such as the National Curriculum Development Centre to prepare curriculum and the Education Ministry to keenly implement it,” she said. 

During a recent TV interview, Education Minister Teerakiat Jareonsettasin said he recognised that a clear direction was crucial to education-reform success and that the focus should be on students, teachers and schools. 

“Key education laws will be introduced during the term of the current government. Then, we will get a clear picture. Also, I will ensure the Education Ministry works efficiently. Good relationships among all stakeholders can make a difference,” he said. 

Kunthida, however, does not believe the ICER’s reform efforts will provide a solution. 

“In my opinion, decentralisation is the answer. One has to believe in the potential of schools and the civil sector,” she said. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30346212

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-25

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Let me disagree a bit... or rather, you are correct, but I think that the analysis is incomplete.

I think that there are many factors which contribute to the lack of quality in Thai education, but a few stand out...

Corruption. The Education System is a huge, sprawling, complex series of offices, schools, centers, locations, etc, each with their own staff. And, as we who live here often see, each staff tends to grab a slice of the pie; given the sheer number of people and places, huge amounts of money are (I am certain) siphoned off. This matters as Thailand does actually spend roughly a proper amount on education relative to GDP, at least relative to other similar countries, but the actual cash doesn't reach down to the lowest levels (the students) very well.

Bureaucracy. Thailand suffers from a huge burden of over-bureaucratization, and it seems particularly bad in the Ministry of Education. One example from the news story; teachers need to collect certificates, etc in order to allow themselves to be considered for promotion and/or higher pay. The natural outcome of such a system is that teachers spend time collecting these documents rather than focusing on the classroom; I would, wouldn't you? Further, simply look at the news story again and count up the numbers of bureaucratic measures mentioned; a provincial committee in each province in conflict with the local education office? Different Centers having an unclear mandate? There are more if one looks...

Over centralization. Education policy is one of those areas in Governance that tends to work better if authority is pushed down a ways to a more local level. However, in Thailand there is a massive over-centralization process which leads to inefficiencies. How can Bangkok set proper detailed policies for both Issan and Yala? The culture is different. The language is often different. Local economies are often different. The security situation is different. To sum up, lower level authority in setting school policies will have a beneficial effect, but Thailand does not do this.

Further to the paragraph above, there is also a matter of culture. Schools don't have a lot of autonomy or authority, so many things happen because 'that is the way they have always been done'. Imagine a young, bright, shiny, new teacher brimming with ideas arrives at a school. That person will be seen as a bit of a threat by the older teachers there; they have their ways and are comfortable with them. Further, the older teachers will likely have been at the school for a long time and be friends with the Principal. The new teacher will be pressured to do things 'the old, tried and true way' and will likely not have support to make any changes. That new teacher will spend a few/many years gaining seniority, certificates, higher qualifications, etc and when they finally have enough power and influence to make changes, they have become the 'old' teacher who blocks the bright, shiny, new, ones. Rinse and repeat.

Soooo, to sum up... I do think that the PTB have, to a certain extent, keep the 'peasants' stupid. However, that is merely one reason among many.

And fixing all the problems is a long, long process....

Any members working in the Thai Education system? Care to share your experiences? TIA!

Very good points, Samui. Can't disagree with you on those factors that you mention.

Ineffective education outcomes are measured by the number Education Ministry committee meetings, conferences, seminars, public forums, study groups etc......and of coarse the seafood buffet lunches that go with them. The more of those they have the less chance there will be of any improvement in the education system and less hope for the children. 

• Like 2

I won't repeat what others have said here but something I have witnessed since school started again. Schools in my area were open so I thought that when going out I'd avoid certain places. However, on one occasion due to traffic works I had to take the route that would take me right to the 'triple parking' where children would be alighting from parent's cars. Surprise, there weren't any parked cars and not a child in sight. It was the same at the second infant school I passed. I later found out that the children were all having traditional dance lessons in a local college grounds. This was to take place for two days running. Another two days this week for something else. Now I have nothing against Traditional dancing etc. but my question is when are these children going to start their new term actually learning topics that they will need in the real world?

• Like 1