Excise official offers to make amends to tourists hit with liquor fine

webfact

I'm bringing back a ton of clothes for my wife next month and I'm already worried about it. That's why I jumped at the offer to bring back designer handbag for her sister who is an immigration boss. Nothing is going to interfere with her getting her paws on that bag I assure you. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dabhand said:

If you clicked on the link in the OP you will note that the bottles were bought in Singapore. Nothing to do with KP.

Yes, you are correct, and I was mistakenly assuming this was an in-house shakedown. It does sound like there were six individual purchases, with six individual sales slips from SIN DF, and that someone consolidated those purchases into two bags.

Now after having read the entire article it actually looks much, much, much worse for the Thai Excise "authorities", what with allowing the tourists to keep two bottles, 'negotiating' the "fine" down, threatening jail, having a veritable queue of other (Taiwanese?) tourists being shaken-down, getting someone to delete photos, and finally publically acknowledging the incident, after having been outed.

Consolidating bags from multiple passengers in a family or group onto one trolley now seems to open one up to unique enforcement. 

I wonder if any sort of paperwork is issued by the Excise "authorities" regarding the "fine"? And I wonder what happens to all the goodies which are seized?

• Like 1

Pre common market the allowance to UK was 1 litre spirits and 2 litres wine. One place in Spain would fill 2 x 1 litre wine bottles with your favourite whisky, cork and seal it for you to bring into UK.

That’s called smuggling or concealing. More serious penalty than appearing with extra bottles over the duty free limit.

That is what my Jap friends got in trouble for the old man had the saki secreted in soy sauce containers Customs freaked out at them and threatened heavy fines and gaol.

30,000 baht to get out of trouble with police.

22 hours ago, z42 said:

Despicable. So many red flags in this story.

How can the fines be negotiated without it being just a shakedown? Surely the fine is non-negotiable.

Am sorry but it is clear who has form. Thais in a uniform appear to be unable to help themselves.

Good on the travellers for putting the heat on the perps (to a point)

The fine has a range, up to a certain maximum, not at all unusual.

word from Unfriendship Bridge is you should wait till you are way out of sight  to repatriate the purchase just carried across for someone else.  Just because you made it through, doesn't lessen the criminality.

Edited by moontang

22 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well TAT that certainly will help your tourist figures, not up as you want but down down down.

Welcome to Thailand where you will get scammed before getting to the taxi rank.

NO Colin! You should know better - TAT figures never go DOWN!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

Yes, you are correct, and I was mistakenly assuming this was an in-house shakedown. It does sound like there were six individual purchases, with six individual sales slips from SIN DF, and that someone consolidated those purchases into two bags.

Now after having read the entire article it actually looks much, much, much worse for the Thai Excise "authorities", what with allowing the tourists to keep two bottles, 'negotiating' the "fine" down, threatening jail, having a veritable queue of other (Taiwanese?) tourists being shaken-down, getting someone to delete photos, and finally publically acknowledging the incident, after having been outed.

Consolidating bags from multiple passengers in a family or group onto one trolley now seems to open one up to unique enforcement. 

I wonder if any sort of paperwork is issued by the Excise "authorities" regarding the "fine"? And I wonder what happens to all the goodies which are seized?

"And I wonder what happens to all the goodies which are seized?"

It duzn't reely take a lot ov wundrin'! - HIC!

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

This isn’t a Thailand thing. Same happens in HK as a family member found out when they carried some ciggies in. There’s no grouping of allowances allowed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SABloke said:

I can't believe I'm saying this: I agree with the customs officials. (And I hate them).

A "group" is not a legal entity that enters a sovereign state. If the law says you can't have more than 1 litre and you have 3 litres in your bag, you're subject to tax. They made a silly mistake and then went online screaming injustice.

If the "group" exception IS a new way to get around the import tax, next time I'll load my bag with 23 litres and if questioned will mention that I cam with a "group" of about 250 passengers.

Again, I have little love for customs (I've had to pay for homemade clothes sent to me <deleted>)

totally agree how do the customs know who it belongs to, your always told to only carry your own stuff nothing for anybody else.

same with cigarettes as all posters know, so why they think this is a scam beggars belief.

7 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Bangkok airways are experts at confiscating your duty free booze of you. When travelling from Bangkok to Samui I have been hit 3 times by them even tho I had  purchase receipts and they were sealed  they even confiscated a very large sealed jar of marmite . I bet the staff have a hell of a party with all the stuff they seize and of you refuse to hand it over they don’t allow you to get on the flight  I now fly to Suratthani and get the ferry but at least I haven’t had anything taken off me .

i know a girl in thailand who has a 5 year old girl who absolutely loves marmite

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

That's interesting regarding each passenger carrying their own allowance.

I can understand it, and I'm not arguing. Can you say definitely the regulations don't state it should be carried per passenger?

Is this only Thai regulations you're referring to, or is it a more international thing?

if you get stopped by customs anywhere in the world the 2 questions asked are did you pack bags and are you carrying for someone else. pretty much means you cannot carry for others

• Thanks 1

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, smedly said:

so there is a group of 14 and they had 6 bottles between them, is it just me or is there something amiss with this

IMO they were 8 bottles short of their total allowance

This may not be so simple as if you are travelling in a Group and just one or 2 persons are carrying the bottles and the other groupmembers has already passed the custom then the bottles will be divided on just the person(s) carrying them. Therefore always split up the botlles prior to enter the custom area or enter as a Group to secure this issue not to happen. This is not a Thai phenomen but applies everywhere - this is pretty Logic as if not everyone who are stopped by the customs carrying to much could claim that he/she is a groupmember….:coffee1:

Edited by ttrd
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

Most Countries have restrictions placed on the individual .

Its quite normal for each person to be judged by what hes carrying .

It would be nice if you could just read the story, without resorting to Thai bashing 

Most countries Duty Free shops will security wrap bottles in pairs or even three's and most countries Customs Officials accept that if two or three people are travelling together.   Thailand is an exception and the reason for that is well known, so Thai bashing is due in such cases.   Be a Thai apologist if you will but don't try to seduce others into your way of thinking when they have suffered at the hands of local Customs crooks.   Read my post at No9 for further reference.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Be a Thai apologist if you will but don't try to seduce others into your way of thinking when they have suffered at the hands of local Customs crooks.   Read my post at No9 for further reference.

I must apologise for not speaking ill of Thailand .

Thailand is a terrible back-ward Country full of stupid people and stupid rules and laws ,.

Every other Country in the World is much better   m every other Country does things right, Thailand does everything wrong .

Please accept me into your group

• Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 4:05 PM, secondfusilier said:

I have never understood why customs officers have to resort stopping tourists after they have passed through the customs zone.

They have an area built (in a secure zone) for carrying out baggage inspections and searches.

Also what is the legality of this?

Once you have entered the arrivals hall surely you are on public ground and not in a bonded area, what if you refused a search?

In some countries customs officials are allowed to follow and check your belongings even after you've left the airport... so it I don't find it at all surprising that they can search people here after they've passed through the customs zone. 

Just saying... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

So if I am with six friends I can bring in 7 cartons of cigarettes?

Yes, you can do this everywhere except Thailand, the EU, UK, rest of Asia, North America, South America, Pacific Islands, Australia, and the Middle East. Aside from that you're fine.

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2018 at 4:59 PM, colinneil said:

Well TAT that certainly will help your tourist figures, not up as you want but down down down.

Welcome to Thailand where you will get scammed before getting to the taxi rank.

or kidnapped ans held for ransom

• Like 1

11 hours ago, djayz said:

In some countries customs officials are allowed to follow and check your belongings even after you've left the airport... so it I don't find it at all surprising that they can search people here after they've passed through the customs zone. 

Just saying... 

UK for sure do it. They have more power than the police regarding entry and search of property.

I'm guessing that's based on the very old fact that tax on imports was originaly paid to the King/Queen so customs and excise did have the Crown's power behind them.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

On 5/25/2018 at 11:07 AM, Darcula said:

Have seen these anonymous officials lurking in the arrivals hall and pouncing on any foreigners carrying bags with dutyfree logos of other airports.

Exactly, they stopt me in the arrival hall because they saw my duty free bag from Amsterdam. Fined me for Baht 11000. I bought 1000 grams of tobacco, 250 grams allowed. 

5 minutes ago, Marius Brok said:

Exactly, they stopt me in the arrival hall because they saw my duty free bag from Amsterdam. Fined me for Baht 11000. I bought 1000 grams of tobacco, 250 grams allowed. 

You got caught smuggling , to had to pay the excess duty and maybe a fine to go with it 

5 minutes ago, Marius Brok said:

You got caught smuggling , to had to pay the excess duty and maybe a fine to go with it