Excise official offers to make amends to tourists hit with liquor fine

webfact

Most Countries have restrictions placed on the individual .
Its quite normal for each person to be judged by what hes carrying .
It would be nice if you could just read the story, without resorting to Thai bashing 

I think this is a part of the problem.. while I think there is no credible argument that the limits are calculated and expressed on a per person basis- what is not equally clear is on exactly how the commodities are to be physically carried and/or presented.

To me, to attempt to sidestep the whole issue, I’d post conspicuous notice that all items in one persons possession at the time of entry into the customs channel shall be construed by customs and excise, to be the sole property of that single passenger for purposes of duty free allowance calculations. Therefore any redistribution of goods should be done before entry into the customs channel.

This keeps it simple — allowances are expressed per person and what you have with you as a single person shall be how your individual compliance is measured.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Marius Brok said:

Exactly, they stopt me in the arrival hall because they saw my duty free bag from Amsterdam. Fined me for Baht 11000. I bought 1000 grams of tobacco, 250 grams allowed. 

How much did they let you keep?

On 5/25/2018 at 9:51 AM, smedly said:

so there is a group of 14 and they had 6 bottles between them, is it just me or is there something amiss with this

IMO they were 8 bottles short of their total allowance

The fact was only 2 people carried 3 bottles each. !2 of them did not. 2 people broke the law. If they had any sense they would have shared the load between 6 of them. SIMPLE.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My visiting relatives were fine for not individually carrying their own cigarettes. They were travelling as a family so bought the goods together and carried it together, but the customs were having none of it.

These crooks deserve to be exposed, but only education can change their mindset.

11 minutes ago, mike324 said:

My visiting relatives were fine for not individually carrying their own cigarettes. They were travelling as a family so bought the goods together and carried it together, but the customs were having none of it.

These crooks deserve to be exposed, but only education can change their mindset.

Logically you would think so.

Don't forget that even with education, money being number one here, trumps all.

• Like 1

I particularly like the airport scam where they confiscate all the duty free alcohol that people just bought (who are travelling to Australia), but put up a sign stating that the Australian Government demands this. Once at the gate, i mean outside the gate, there's no turning away either. If they've seen your alcohol they are taking it. You're not in the gate yet and even if the gate just opened there's no opportunity to take it back for a refund. They just take it.  I'd reckon plenty of drunk Thai customs people after Australian flights.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mike324 said:

Would one member carry everyone;s prescriptions?  Or even liquids?  

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 3:51 PM, smedly said:

so there is a group of 14 and they had 6 bottles between them, is it just me or is there something amiss with this

IMO they were 8 bottles short of their total allowance

I think the Customs officers applied the Thai rules as each person has to declare and carry his bottles ; but in that case they could have been lenient and issue a warning only.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, moontang said:

Would one member carry everyone;s prescriptions?  Or even liquids?  

Well my mom and dad do carry each others medicine. They share one suitcase together on short travels also. Is there a problem with that?

24 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Well my mom and dad do carry each others medicine. They share one suitcase together on short travels also. Is there a problem with that?

ask the German guy facing ten years in Indonesia for having an amount of Valium in his luggage that was purchased legally in LOS, but was more than enough for one person.  In LOS it depends on the drugs and what kind of documentation you have, but there are still limits.  Why complicate things?  If you are too feeble to manage your own prescriptions, and booze, you probably shouldn't be traveling.

Short trips would not likely involve Customs.

Edited by moontang

4 hours ago, moontang said:

ask the German guy facing ten years in Indonesia for having an amount of Valium in his luggage that was purchased legally in LOS, but was more than enough for one person.  In LOS it depends on the drugs and what kind of documentation you have, but there are still limits.  Why complicate things?  If you are too feeble to manage your own prescriptions, and booze, you probably shouldn't be traveling.

Short trips would not likely involve Customs.

Why wouldn't short trips involve customs if you are flying in and out of the airport? I'm sure the Singaporeans are flying on a short trip from singapore, unless your definition of a short trip is different from mine.

Why is it a problem if we carry the prescription in the same suitcase? No need to put me down by saying my family shouldn't be travelling because we can't manage our own prescription and booze. 

The fact is that the customs in Thailand prey on travelers on purpose. This does not happen anywhere else in any other first world countries, I have carry goods together as a family and have been check by authorities in US, Europe, and Asia with no problem. Most custom agents have common sense, the ones in Thailand don't, and many do prey on tourist on purpose.

On 5/25/2018 at 9:59 AM, colinneil said:

Well TAT that certainly will help your tourist figures, not up as you want but down down down.

Welcome to Thailand where you will get scammed before getting to the taxi rank.

And Royally Rogered when you get to the Taxi Rank!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, mike324 said:

Why wouldn't short trips involve customs if you are flying in and out of the airport? I'm sure the Singaporeans are flying on a short trip from singapore, unless your definition of a short trip is different from mine.

Why is it a problem if we carry the prescription in the same suitcase? No need to put me down by saying my family shouldn't be travelling because we can't manage our own prescription and booze. 

The fact is that the customs in Thailand prey on travelers on purpose. This does not happen anywhere else in any other first world countries, I have carry goods together as a family and have been check by authorities in US, Europe, and Asia with no problem. Most custom agents have common sense, the ones in Thailand don't, and many do prey on tourist on purpose.

but your family was already involved in an incident.  Perhaps, a look in the mirror to see who could have prevented their difficulties.

They stopped me at the x-ray machines and ordered me to put a box and luggage on the x-ray. They were a team of about 4 or 5 with a very light uniform like navy uniforms. They were rude and they looked very disappointed when they could not find any bottle in my box and luggage. Actually they thought they got a big fish after they saw I was passing through with that big box.

It was 1st time that I experienced it this ugly at that check point. 

On 5/30/2018 at 5:17 PM, moontang said:

but your family was already involved in an incident.  Perhaps, a look in the mirror to see who could have prevented their difficulties.

As I have said before the custom official was corrupted. Yes, my relatives were involved in an incident, I did not elaborate the goods were even purchase with two different cards, but just carried together in one bag. They did not received a receipt for the fine, meaning they were fined over the legal amount too! They were threatened with jail if they didn't pay up. This was more than 5 years ago, my relatives did not speak english, so they were afraid of what would happen to them knowing how corrupt the country is. The example with my relative is not an isolated incident, its so well documented that you think its the travelers fault!

But its seems like you think you know it all. No need to argue more with you.

Edited by mike324

On 5/26/2018 at 9:10 PM, Crash999 said:

Yes, you can do this everywhere except Thailand, the EU, UK, rest of Asia, North America, South America, Pacific Islands, Australia, and the Middle East. Aside from that you're fine.

Thanks! Chad, here I come!

On 6/1/2018 at 9:06 AM, The Theory said:

They stopped me at the x-ray machines and ordered me to put a box and luggage on the x-ray. They were a team of about 4 or 5 with a very light uniform like navy uniforms. They were rude and they looked very disappointed when they could not find any bottle in my box and luggage. Actually they thought they got a big fish after they saw I was passing through with that big box.

It was 1st time that I experienced it this ugly at that check point. 

Everything gets x-rayed at CNX, but rarely inspected.  Easier than BKK....They must be busy intercepting mail packages in CM..cause it is murder up there.

BTW, my hotel room says three persons max...but the Chinese system players will assume that means four families of three can share the same room in shifts without repercussions...and when they do get called out; they make an ugly seen in the lobby..seen variations of that many, many times...Some folks are sadly mistaken about whose interpretation of the rules actually matters.