Irish voters set to liberalise abortion laws in landslide - exit poll

rooster59

https://twitter.com/AmnestyIreland/status/1000318891661447168

Looking like a resounding #VoteYes outcome on #Repealthe8th referendum in #Ireland. Now let's make that happen for women and girls in #NorthernIreland
too. Sign @AmnestyNI petition and RT: https://t.co/oiYDMip0fC #ItsTime #together4yes #8thref pic.twitter.com/XpzmmbbHPq

— Amnesty Ireland (@AmnestyIreland) May 26, 2018

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Those with an agenda form the issue in polarizing terms ,at both ends of the spectrum, most people live in the middle.

No indiscriminate abortion, but admissible under pragmatic guidelines, End of story.

So, when you write "agenda" do you mean an opinion other than yours? Choice is choice period. People on this forum come from all over the world. What may be middle ground in one place is far right in another. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pegman said:

So, when you write "agenda" do you mean an opinion other than yours? Choice is choice period. People on this forum come from all over the world. What may be middle ground in one place is far right in another. 

No I mean a agenda. If you don't know what agenda means, look it up

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

No I mean a agenda. If you don't know what agenda means, look it up

Well,  where I come from there are no abortion laws. The courts ruled 3 decades ago (1988) that the restrictive ones at the time were unconstitutional and struck them down. So your agenda/opinion would be considered extreme there.

1 hour ago, pegman said:

Well,  where I come from there are no abortion laws. The courts ruled 3 decades ago (1988) that the restrictive ones at the time were unconstitutional and struck them down. So your agenda/opinion would be considered extreme there.

I am sorry for that terse reply. You misunderstood my original post and I did litle to clarify my position.

Nowhere did I express an opinion as far as it concerns the variety of opinions contained with in the spectrum of the abortion debate. 

My observation (not an opinion) was simply that the issue has being hijacked by ideologues  residing in the polar opposite of the issue with a political agenda. Most people are neither for indiscriminate abortion or for   a total ban of abortions,  Neither for pro choice as opposed to no choice or pro life as opposed to pro death. but for a pragmatic middle position that addresses the concerns of all involved  

In ireland   the issue was hijacked by the catholic church   which imposed an extreme position fueled by a religious agenda. and allowed abortions only if the pregnancy endangered the life of the mother  Where in Greece for example, there is a more graduated pragmatic  approach, allowing abortion on demand up to 12 weeks but can be extended to 19 weeks in case of a rape and 23 weeks where it threaten the life or health of the mother or it would result in a serious congenital condition to the baby.

So,, If you want  my opinion , IMO if we could remove the ideologues  on either end of the spectrum of the issue I am sure reasonable people could agree an a pragmatic policy that would address most concerns in this issue.

Bravo to Ireland !!!

Edited by sirineou

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

I am sorry for that terse reply. You misunderstood my original post and I did litle to clarify my position.

Nowhere did I express an opinion as far as it concerns the variety of opinions contained with in the spectrum of the abortion debate. 

My observation (not an opinion) was simply that the issue has being hijacked by ideologues  residing in the polar opposite of the issue with a political agenda. Most people are neither for indiscriminate abortion or for   a total ban of abortions,  Neither for pro choice as opposed to no choice or pro life as opposed to pro death. but for a pragmatic middle position that addresses the concerns of all involved  

In ireland   the issue was hijacked by the catholic church   which imposed an extreme position fueled by a religious agenda. and allowed abortions only if the pregnancy endangered the life of the mother  Where in Greece for example, there is a more graduated pragmatic  approach, allowing abortion on demand up to 12 weeks but can be extended to 19 weeks in case of a rape and 23 weeks where it threaten the life or health of the mother or it would result in a serious congenital condition to the baby.

So,, If you want  my opinion , IMO if we could remove the ideologues  on either end of the spectrum of the issue I am sure reasonable people could agree an a pragmatic policy that would address most concerns in this issue.

Bravo to Ireland !!!

Hear, Hear, Bravo to Ireland!

Theresa May  just said "so what!". 

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May faces a showdown with ministers and lawmakers in her Conservative party after refusing to back reform of Northern Ireland's highly restrictive abortion rules after neighbouring Ireland's vote to liberalise its laws.

6 hours ago, piewarmer said:

Theresa May  just said "so what!". 

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May faces a showdown with ministers and lawmakers in her Conservative party after refusing to back reform of Northern Ireland's highly restrictive abortion rules after neighbouring Ireland's vote to liberalise its laws.

Theresa May paid over a £Billion of tax payer's money to the DUP to maintain her minority government in power. 

The deal is she does as the DUP tell her. 

31 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Theresa May paid over a £Billion of tax payer's money to the DUP to maintain her minority government in power. 

The deal is she does as the DUP tell her. 

Just can not understand it, Sinn Fain hard line Catholic, DUP hard line anti Catholic, as  see it there are lots of members of both parties who will nether agree with their leadership on this issue.

• Like 1