Snake Identification Please!

Flying Clog

(searched for the old snake ID thread but couldn't find it, sorry)

Found this snake in the garden today (Laguna Phuket area), unfortunately the gardener got to it before I could carry out a rescue plan.

Any idea on what it is and if it's poisonous? Measured about 50cm in length and about 1.5cm in diameter. Assuming it was a youngster...

Thx, FC

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

PS.  Might be better to tell the gardener not to kill any snakes in the future if you like them!  I won't even allow people to kill the cobras, banded kraits and huge python that live on my land.  Never had a problem with them in 15 years living her (apart from the python snacking on my ducks).  

What would you do if, like me, you found a large cobra in your living room and it was very likely your dogs (part of the family) would attack them to protect their people? (They have previously shown they will take on anything to protect us)

That cobra wasn't going to be gently persuaded to leave the house and yard and go about it's business peacefully. It disappeared under a couch. It ended up like the snake in the OP. The male snake following it's scent into the yard caused more havoc and was also dispatched.

We see a lot of cobras in our street headed for the farm over the road. We don't touch them, but the same can't be said for the farmer and his snake savvy dogs. He kills scores every year. He does call the snake rescue people to collect the pythons that come for his ducks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Croc said:

What would you do if, like me, you found a large cobra in your living room and it was very likely your dogs (part of the family) would attack them to protect their people? (They have previously shown they will take on anything to protect us)

That cobra wasn't going to be gently persuaded to leave the house and yard and go about it's business peacefully. It disappeared under a couch. It ended up like the snake in the OP. The male snake following it's scent into the yard caused more havoc and was also dispatched.

We see a lot of cobras in our street headed for the farm over the road. We don't touch them, but the same can't be said for the farmer and his snake savvy dogs. He kills scores every year. He does call the snake rescue people to collect the pythons that come for his ducks.

I think it's reasonable to kill a cobra, or a dog, if it poses real danger to loved ones. Like us, the cobras are equally afraid of confrontation, which could cause in injury or loss of life. 

Last time I had a cobra in my house, I found out, after trying various other things, that cobras are highly afraid of hot water. If you manage to throw some hot water to the snake, it will spring away rather fast. Best to make sure that the direction is the one, you wish it to go ?

4 hours ago, wirat69 said:

Colour too dark to be a poisonous snake... generally poisonous snakes are bright coloured, even the Banded Krait with its black and yellow.....

Rubbish!!!!!

Australian Inland Taipan = dark in colour

Australian Eastern Brown Snake = dark in colour

Australian Tiger Snake = dark in colour

American Black Mamba = dark in colour

Death Adder = dark in colour

Rattle Snake = dark in colour

You had better go and study up on venomous snakes

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MaeJoMTB said:

So a cobra isn't venomous then?

cobra.jpg

Damned internet! NOT kidding . . . several searches provided similar results.

On the other hand, we all kinda KNOW a cobra isn't a kinder, gentler snake.

Anyone have a more definitive way to tell the difference?

Here is a snake that in accordance with both wirat69 and JTown this snake is harmless because it is not brightly coloured and its head and eyes are the same as the watersnake (non- venomous) but in fact this snake is an Inland Tiapan from Australia which is the number 1 venomous land snake in the world

Inland Tiapan.jpg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, J Town said:

Damned internet! NOT kidding . . . several searches provided similar results.

On the other hand, we all kinda KNOW a cobra isn't a kinder, gentler snake.

Anyone have a more definitive way to tell the difference?

Yes, it's like knowing mushroom.

1) First learn to know all the poisonous mushrooms

2) Pick only the mushrooms you know

And yes, the easter egg is there.

Any idea what this baby beauty is in my living room today, baby yes, venomous guilty until proven innocent. Didn’t kill him repatriated him into the bush....beautiful snake tho about 8 inches long ergo baby.

8B0F7001-5FCC-4C44-B2A2-8CFC15C486BA.jpeg

1 hour ago, Grauwulf said:

Any idea what this baby beauty is in my living room today, baby yes, venomous guilty until proven innocent. Didn’t kill him repatriated him into the bush....beautiful snake tho about 8 inches long ergo baby.

The skin looks a lot like Golden tree snake, but the head markings looks a bit weird. I'd still think it's the tree snake, the head markings are just not proportional to the adult one.

https://oilinki.com/blog/golden-tree-snake

18 hours ago, wirat69 said:

Colour too dark to be a poisonous snake... generally poisonous snakes are bright coloured, even the Banded Krait with its black and yellow.....

Yup, the bright pink cobras at my place, are easy to spot !!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/26/2018 at 3:11 PM, jak2002003 said:

Common Keelback.

Generally considered harmless.  

Found an interesting web site for Thai snakes you might be interested in.

https://www.thailandsnakes.com/thailand-snake-notes/most-common-snakes/

PS.  Might be better to tell the gardener not to kill any snakes in the future if you like them!  I won't even allow people to kill the cobras, banded kraits and huge python that live on my land.  Never had a problem with them in 15 years living her (apart from the python snacking on my ducks).  

18 hours ago, csabo said:

Join this group. Might help you stop senselessly murdering all the Phuket wildlife out of total ignorance. 

Screenshot_20180527-150030.png

Take a course in reading comprehension. It may stop you from jumping all over people who didn't do anything. It was the gardner who killed the snake.

Edited by bkkgriz
Auto correct fix
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Grauwulf said:

8B0F7001-5FCC-4C44-B2A2-8CFC15C486BA.jpeg

Shame you didn't get some better photos.. Clear head shots always help a lot.. !!

The way it's curled up, I would be more inclined to say a viper of some sort, or maybe a kukri ?

• Thanks 1