GPS app leads heavily loaded pickup to flip on uphill road in Loei

rooster59

GPS app leads heavily loaded pickup to flip on uphill road in Loei

By The Nation

A couple returning to Phitsanulok after buying a pickup-truck load of mangoes in Loei was led by a GPS app to a steep uphill route, causing the heavy pickup to slide backward downhill and overturn early on Saturday, police said.

The couple were not injured as they managed to jump out of the pickup while it slid backward. while it was slowly moving backwards.

Police said the accident happened on the Ban Khok Yai-Phu Rua road in Ban Huay Krai village in Phu Rua district. When rescuers arrived at the scene, they found the couple waiting for help unharmed.

The husband, Thawatchai Kerdsuk, 35, said he had travelled to buy mangoes from Loei’s Chiang Khan district on Friday evening and was travelling home in Phitsanulok to sell the mangoes.

He said he was not familiar with roads in Loei so he had his wife check the route with a GPS app. The app recommended the fastest route but it turned out to be an uphill road that was too steep for his heavy pickup to climb.

He and his wife became frightened and jumped out before the pickup flipped on the roadside.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30346336

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-26
  • Like 1

You simply cannot make such stories up - thank you for this highlight on this Sunday.

The GPS is a passive signaling system converted onto a map on a navigation system. The decision on which route is ultimately taken is not done by the navigation system but by the driver. 

Somchai did it again, give the man a medal for "idiocy of the day"; a pity for the mangoes though. Hope that Somchai does not breed though! 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

You simply cannot make such stories up - thank you for this highlight on this Sunday.

The GPS is a passive signaling system converted onto a map on a navigation system. The decision on which route is ultimately taken is not done by the navigation system but by the driver. 

Somchai did it again, give the man a medal for "idiocy of the day"; a pity for the mangoes though. Hope that Somchai does not breed though! 

"Thainess" at its best once again - blame anything and everyone other than themselves.

A country full of R3T@Rd5  :coffee1:

• Haha 1

No one has had Google Maps suggest a shorter route only to have it backfire in some way?

There are some incredibly steep and narrow roads in the mountains of  Loei. You don't know how steep it will get until you are fully committed and then it's too late. No spots wide enough to attempt a turn around, impossible to back down with a normally loaded truck without overheating brakes or losing control of vehicle.

You city boys should give it a try sometime. Bring a change of

underwear.

The main thing about this story is the fact that the pickup was unable to make the uphill climb. The downside of the story may have been a tragedy with failed brakes and 2 possibly dead people among a mango puree. 

Moral of the story, learn to read a map and know your territory before going off road or using very steep, narrow by-roads.

I hope they manage to sort their business out for next season.

This can happen indeed. 

I remember when I was driving in the outback in AUS. My navigation system, built in actually, was leading me to a river to cross. Because I'm not Jesus I had to turn. So don't blame these poor people being too stupid. 

17 hours ago, ningnong said:

No one has had Google Maps suggest a shorter route only to have it backfire in some way?

There are some incredibly steep and narrow roads in the mountains of  Loei. You don't know how steep it will get until you are fully committed and then it's too late. No spots wide enough to attempt a turn around, impossible to back down with a normally loaded truck without overheating brakes or losing control of vehicle.

You city boys should give it a try sometime. Bring a change of

underwear.

and how should the gps know you have overloaded the car to the point if its being dangerous

Mangoes anyone?

(from thairath)

Unfortunately it can't be seen how high it was loaded but even what you see is quite a load (if you know how heavy a bucket full of mangoes is).

Overloaded fruit/vegetable pickup transports are the norm on our highway 12. They will never leave the right (fast) track as it is less prone to toppling.

CiHZjUdJ5HPNXJ92GRg3XSlEYj7RLoUDCp.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

58 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

and how should the gps know you have overloaded the car to the point if its being dangerous

Or not be riding an off-road motorbike.In Indonesia Google sometimes wants you to go down goat tracks which is OK for a motorbike but not for a car.