Any ideas??

worrab

First large spider I have come across since moving here 3 years ago. Any naturalists out there who have an idea as to what kind of spider this is. Many thanks.P1070041.thumb.JPG.00eb2be7dc73ee9e63c2a76ac549d233.JPG

Edited by worrab
Grammar

I do not like spiders at all.  I think it was in 1973, I was here a civilian and went to rent a house.  I walked around the back and there was this huge spider on the outside wall.  Told my wife that I don't care if the place is free.  I am not going to live here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cyberfarang said:

They are harmless and actually quite fragile. On occasions one comes into the house and I whack them with a plastic fly swat, because don`t fancy finding one of those in bed with me in the morning.

Their legs do fall off easily, if you can catch them. As the others said pretty harmless (They do actually bite though and can draw blood) so leave them alone.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HooHaa said:

huntsman.

harmless, useful.

I frequently meet one in the bungalow but use a large plastic transparent biscuit container, capture the spider and put it back in the garden. I take care not to damage its long legs. I'm told the very large huntsman can penetrate human skin but the wound is minor. They eat small insects and a large specimen might even chomp on the odd cockroach too. 

20170223_190905.jpg

Huntsman, scary when you first see one but after you realize they are harmless they are kind of cool. First saw when when I was sitting on the can, came from under my feet and when I moved my foot that thing took off like I rocket ship. I never saw anything that size move that fast. 

• Like 1

Huntsman.  Scary looking but much more afraid of you than you'll ever be of it.  They're welcome in our house along with geckos.  Get use to checking your shoes before putting you feet in them in this part of the world.  ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, HooHaa said:

huntsman.

harmless, useful.

If it's the same huntsman that seems to come with each delivery of firewood in Australia, I'm told it contains enough venom to kill a blowfly.

2 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Tg says , "Maleang Moom" . Not toxic ,  eats mosquitoes and small insects and lives up high in houses ...

...so that's what's clumping about in my ceiling.

57 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

I frequently meet one in the bungalow but use a large plastic transparent biscuit container, capture the spider and put it back in the garden. I take care not to damage its long legs. I'm told the very large huntsman can penetrate human skin but the wound is minor. They eat small insects and a large specimen might even chomp on the odd cockroach too. 

20170223_190905.jpg

..you say 'odd cockroach' .do you mean the one with breasts?

sure, csabo that Google teaches us many things.
But as much as it annoys me when questions are asked about visas,
  work, marriage,
  where we can find answers on the internet (broken arms or assistants)
on the other hand I appreciate this research on fauna and flora.
I find it amusing and very cultural. This makes us discover nature in Thailand

• Like 2

Many thanks for all your replies. 

I would never have got a coin close enough as it was on the wall allane.

And apologies for wasting your time csabo but I feel there are good people on here who like to take the time to identify different animals seen here. Experience is better than Google guesswork.

Huntsmen are common in Australia. They don't have webs, preferring to wander around the walls and ceilings looking for a snack. I overcame my fear of spiders sufficiently to be able to slip a plastic coffee cup over them, slide a piece of cardboard between the cup and the wall, and drop the spider (and often the cup too) off the balcony. 

• Like 1