Yingluck granted 10-year UK visa, says BBC Thai website

webfact

16 hours ago, jayboy said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/thailand/10852060/Thai-army-detains-former-PM-Yingluck-after-military-coup.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/07/thai-prime-minister-yingluck-shinawatra-steps-down

https://www.economist.com/asia/2014/05/10/out-of-luck

You have apparently ignored the reality that judiciary , military and other vested interests were working together. - which I was at pains to point out.This was not however lost on the international press.There was as the Economist pointed out a judicial coup.The military's assigned role was to administer the coup de grace to democracy.

There is no evidence that the military and the judiciary were working together.  Perhaps they were!  The Economist didn't call it a 'Judicial Coup', the Pheu Thai party did and the economist quoted that.

2 hours ago, superal said:

Who invented that and why ?  Similar to being out of the UK for more than 6 months means you no longer receive the annual increase .  These are really human rights infringements and how the governments get away with it is a real mystery . At the end of your working life and now a pensioner you should be free to do what you like and the government should be thanking you for all of the monetary contributions you have made throughout your working life .

Feels like a kick in the whatsits . I used to admire Australia for its strict immigration policies but now I hear it is much the same as most other capitalist countries .  

it is the gov't that YOU voted for! years ago the writing was on the wall for british military retirees but none gave a dam about them because they were busy importing the current batch of terrorist! now all the importe's

get govt aid and housing and YOU gt the shaft just because you chose to exercise your god given rights to travel and live where you want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HHTel said:

There is no evidence that the military and the judiciary were working together.  Perhaps they were!  The Economist didn't call it a 'Judicial Coup', the Pheu Thai party did and the economist quoted that.

An ex-constitution court judge did admit to the media that 'political expediency' was used for judgement. That will be as close as calling it a judiciary coup. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HHTel said:

Well it has been a highly synchronised verdict exactly at the right time when things were cooling down as Suthep's mob was spreading thin and new elections were scheduled.

It has also been an interpretative judgement, as the motive was this transfer was, by domino effect allowing people favoured by the Shins to be promoted. They could not use the case of the guy who replaced Thawil as he was obviously yellow tainted, so they justified the verdict by the fact that the guy who has replaced the one who replaced Thawil was Thaksin's ex-wife brother

On 5/30/2018 at 8:43 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

The British are not holding Assange - he's taken refuge in an Embassy to avoid extradition.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No, not holding him,  but will arrest him & deport him, if he leaves the embassy, why else would he be "holed up" there ???

No diff, to Yingluck, who should have been deported back to Thailand under Interpol Red warrant!! Money speaks!!

On 5/29/2018 at 2:59 AM, coulson said:

Prayut should embrace this. He could make use of her as a translator when he goes to meet May and Boris, enjoy a free tour of the best Thai restaurants in London and get the inside scoop on what you must have in order in case the need to make a hasty departure from LOS arises.

To meet may and boris?  More like the mayor of Blackpool and councillor Khan in Bradford.i can't for the life of me think why they are letting prayut into the country.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:01 AM, BobBKK said:

It's not British territory, thought you'd know that.

Didn't say anything about it being British Territory, it's Consular territory & outside that, is British territory!

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, eggers said:

No, not holding him,  but will arrest him & deport him, if he leaves the embassy, why else would he be "holed up" there ???

No diff, to Yingluck, who should have been deported back to Thailand under Interpol Red warrant!! Money speaks!!

He would be subject to arrest if he left, for breaching his bail conditions. He might be prosecuted and jailed in the UK but there's no reason he would be extradited (if that's what you mean by 'deported') as no other country is currently seeking to prosecute him.

9 hours ago, superal said:

Who invented that and why ?  Similar to being out of the UK for more than 6 months means you no longer receive the annual increase .  These are really human rights infringements and how the governments get away with it is a real mystery . At the end of your working life and now a pensioner you should be free to do what you like and the government should be thanking you for all of the monetary contributions you have made throughout your working life .

Feels like a kick in the whatsits . I used to admire Australia for its strict immigration policies but now I hear it is much the same as most other capitalist countries .  

Re the retirement pension in Aus unlike the U.K. Certainly since about the 1940s (if that time frame is correct) there has been no direct contribution from an employees pay towards the government retirement pension.

I suspect that it's for this reason that they have been able to keep lowering the bar in relation to the finances you can have before being excluded,

I am in this position but saw the writing on the wall years ago and was able to make provision for my retirement

Just one of the reasons that made me decide to leave and live here.

21 hours ago, candide said:

I both agree and disagree with you. I agree that it is not necessarily due to the Junta. Actually it is due to the fact that the judiciary and semi-judiciary (I.e. NACC) are on the same side of the political arena as the Junta. The presence of the junta is only an aggravating factor as they have the exclusive power to appoint members of the judiciary and semi-judiciary (which is not the case for an elected government). The Judiciary is not dependent on elected governments so it is not surprising that Yingluck got convicted or investigated while in power. It does not prove that the judiciary is neutral and is exempt of political concern.

Foreign countries are quite aware of it through their embassy (the US embassy cable leaks are quite instructing about the level of understanding of Thailand's politics that diplomats can reach).

Finally  a  constructive  reply!

Yet  still ignored  in  favour  of political dispute is the  fact that  on the  basis  of  evidence Yingluck  was guilty,  no less  so  than Thaksin of the  charges  he  ran from.

No  doubt elements  of  bias  come into  the  question  of  severity of  sentence which may be  tainted in  favour  of current political  persuasion  or influence but  that  does not   negate  the  fact  of   guilt. 

I am curious  to know  what  the  general critic  of the Junta would  answer as  to  who  or  how  would the  farmers originally  duped have been  paid as promised if the ongoing  shambolic  political situation had  not been curtailed  by the  coup?

There  are  many arenas  of  political  influence  that  in even those countries considered stable in  democratic principle demonstrate dubious   bias  toward the  wealthy in detriment  to the less so. How   curious it  is  that   so many abiding  farang refugees defend their own expatriation with  critque!

If  the  UK   is willing  to  grant  Yingluck  a long term  visa  in  denial of  the  basis  of   the  Thai conviction then let them  continue  to suffer  the  influx  of every  disreputable in existence ! And  may May's Brexit  teach  them well !

22 hours ago, tropo said:

Under the current government, it's all a charade, including justice... but when we're discussing the issuance of visas by other countries, it's how it looks from the outside that counts.

In  light  of  that statement then  what  or  who has  created  the difficulty in the  average  Thai  female  acquiring  a simple tourist  visa. 

The  usual   chicken  or  egg  question ! Answered   by   $. !

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Not that I receive the pension but perhaps for the benefit of others perhaps you could outline why" Absolutely not true"

Simple: no open arms at all. I am not going to explain.

7 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Finally  a  constructive  reply!

Yet  still ignored  in  favour  of political dispute is the  fact that  on the  basis  of  evidence Yingluck  was guilty,  no less  so  than Thaksin of the  charges  he  ran from.

No  doubt elements  of  bias  come into  the  question  of  severity of  sentence which may be  tainted in  favour  of current political  persuasion  or influence but  that  does not   negate  the  fact  of   guilt. 

I am curious  to know  what  the  general critic  of the Junta would  answer as  to  who  or  how  would the  farmers originally  duped have been  paid as promised if the ongoing  shambolic  political situation had  not been curtailed  by the  coup?

There  are  many arenas  of  political  influence  that  in even those countries considered stable in  democratic principle demonstrate dubious   bias  toward the  wealthy in detriment  to the less so. How   curious it  is  that   so many abiding  farang refugees defend their own expatriation with  critque!

If  the  UK   is willing  to  grant  Yingluck  a long term  visa  in  denial of  the  basis  of   the  Thai conviction then let them  continue  to suffer  the  influx  of every  disreputable in existence ! And  may May's Brexit  teach  them well !

Well, as far as I understand she would not have been convicted under British law (or any other democratic country's law). On top of the Junta issue, it may explain what you call the denial of the basis of the Thai conviction..?.

14 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Re the retirement pension in Aus unlike the U.K. Certainly since about the 1940s (if that time frame is correct) there has been no direct contribution from an employees pay towards the government retirement pension.

I suspect that it's for this reason that they have been able to keep lowering the bar in relation to the finances you can have before being excluded,

I am in this position but saw the writing on the wall years ago and was able to make provision for my retirement

Just one of the reasons that made me decide to leave and live here.

These decisions on pensions need to be legally challenged . What happens to the workers income tax contributions? Me thinks , e.g. that all the money taken for car tax should be used for the highway repairs and similarly pension funds to be paid to the pensioner who has made a working life contribution .  But I fear that is not the case with the subsidizing  of benefits for immigrants and unemployed  , foreign aid etc .   I would like to see the chancellors balance book . ?  

Apologies for going off the Yingluck topic slightly but one rule for the have's and one for the have not .

On 6/1/2018 at 2:37 AM, candide said:

Well, as far as I understand she would not have been convicted under British law (or any other democratic country's law). On top of the Junta issue, it may explain what you call the denial of the basis of the Thai conviction..?.

So  the  principles and  application of  one nations  law are irrelevant  to  the  interpretation or  recognition  by  any  other ?

If  it  comes  down to that  being a question  of   "democratic"  jurisdiction  the  Trump  has  recently   made  a  mockery  of  that  stance.

The  illusion   and  delusion  of   "democracy" is  nothing  more  than a repetitive   result  in a  deceptive  lottery anywhere.

By  comparison  to  Fascist  or other dictatorial  systems/regimes it  obviously has  greater  appeal due only  to  the delusion  of  the   "lottery".

Consider  the   vast  number  of  individuals in any  of  the "democratic"  countries   you allude  to that  have  been either  publicly  or  quietly removed from  elected  positions in  the  "interest"  of maintaining  the  best public  interest.......!

At  the end  of  the   day  it  is   what  results in  the true best interests  of the majority or alternatively  the least  harm.

In the  political arena  that inevitably  results in some  "collateral" damage  but in reality  that is  the risk taken by those players  who  attempt  to  control the lottery. For  those players  who at a moment in time   took a beneficial percentage and having  been  forced to  exit  but  keep  that percentage   who  need  shed a tear  let alone  defend  them?

If  the  principles  of   democracy  were to be  upheld then  there  would be no distinction between those  who  have  wealth and claim to advantage of it  and those in the more  honest majority who have  not such wealth or claim.

Rarely  happens.

This doesn't really sound like a big win for Yingluck. It is just a tourist visa and even Mrs Dog has the same 10 year tourist visa.  Earlier it was reported she was applying for political asylum in the UK.   If that was true, she must have been rejected and applied for a tourist visa instead.  She cannot settle in the UK with this.  If she stays for 6 months, she will have to stay for 6 months before coming back.  Anyone who spends too much time in the UK on a tourist visa risks getting denied entry, despite the 10 year validity. 

Admittedly it shows that the UK doesn't regard her as a dangerous criminal but we already knew that she was convicted of an offence that is not covered by the 1911 Anglo-Siam extradition treaty.  So there is no reason for the UK to deny her a visa, whatever we may feel about her or the rice pledging scheme and I am not a Shin fan.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, eggers said:

Have I? .....What's the point??

I think the point was that you claimed Assange was being held involuntarily and implied that this was "the British way" whereas the fact that he has, purely by his own choice, confined himself to the Ecuadorean embassy which is not on British territory (therefore not subject to British authority) means that his being there can hardly be  considered "the British way" as it is outside their control.

I note that the government is now saying that Yingluck having a UK visa will make it harder to extradite her, a statement that makes no sense, seeing as the unconfirmed report was that she was granted a standard 10 year tourist visa, not political asylum.  It is also reported that she travels on the passport of a European country, which is most likely Montenegro which needs a visa to visit the UK even as a tourist.  So the story of the tourist visa makes sense.  The problem is not her UK tourist visa, if she in fact has one, but the fact that she was allowed to escape in plain sight of the authorities and that she was convicted of an offence that does not qualify for extradition from the UK or most other countries. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I think the point was that you claimed Assange was being held involuntarily and implied that this was "the British way" whereas the fact that he has, purely by his own choice, confined himself to the Ecuadorean embassy which is not on British territory (therefore not subject to British authority) means that his being there can hardly be  considered "the British way" as it is outside their control.

Sure, but if steps outside Embassy, he's arrested!! So not so much "free choice', it's sort of, by necessity!!