Girl dens blaze fresh trail into Boy Scouts of America

webfact

Girl dens blaze fresh trail into Boy Scouts of America

By Katharine Jackson

2018-05-28T182737Z_1_LYNXNPEE4R136_RTROPTP_4_USA-SCOUTS-GIRLS.JPG

Girls from Cub Scout Den 13, a suburban Virginia Cub Scout unit made up of girls who are on their way to next year becoming the first female Scouts in the Boy Scouts of America as part of the the newly named "Scouts BSA" program, participate in a hike in this still image from video shot in McLean, Virginia, U.S. May 20, 2018. REUTERS/Greg Savoy

MCLEAN, Va. (Reuters) - On a frontline of the gender equality battle in the United States is Den 13, a suburban Virginia Cub Scout unit made up of girls on their way to next year becoming the first female Scouts in the Boy Scouts of America.

The girls, who are 8 to 10 years old, say they appreciate the outdoor challenges of scouting: finding the route to a waterfall on a wrinkled map, crossing a creek and encountering a snake.

After more than a century as a bastion of boyhood, the Boy Scouts of America announced in October that this year it would begin letting girls join the 7- to 10-year-old Cub Scouts. More than 3,000 girls joined an Early Adopter programme this spring.

In 2019, the girls of Den 13 in McLean, Virginia, will be among the first female members of the newly named "Scouts BSA" programme, which until the change will still be called "Boy Scouts" and only admit boys aged 11 to 17.

Scouting alongside boys is no issue for 10-year-old Dani Hyder.

"I don't really mind as long as I get to do it," she said. "I don't care what gender the people I'm doing with are."

Like others in her den, 10-year-old Lilly Rumpf went on hikes and family camping trips, but watched from the sidelines as her brother rose through the ranks of the Boy Scouts.

"It was like he got to do all the cool things, and I didn't," she said. "So when I got involved in this, it was really cool."

Boy Scouts of America said admitting girls is making life easier for families with brothers and sisters who want to follow the same path.

"I think our programme offers both genders exactly what we want young people to learn and embrace as they grow up," said Les Baron, scout executive for the Boy Scouts National Capital Area Council.

The move comes as attitudes towards gender change and after decades of declining membership. Boy Scouts of America now has about 2.3 million members, a drop of about one-third since 2000. The organisation decided to admit openly gay scouts in 2014, and last year welcomed transgender members.

As Boy Scouts of America widens its scope, the Girl Scouts of the USA is reaffirming its commitment to girls.

"Girl Scouts has always proudly owned the 'Girl' in Girl Scouts, and our programming is, and always will, reflect the fact that we are girl-led and girl-centric," the organisation said in a statement.

The Boy Scouts held annual meetings in Dallas last week with many awaiting news of a uniform change with different cuts for girls and alternatives like Capri pants and "skorts," or skirts with shorts inside.

For now, the Den 13 girls wear shirts embroidered with "Boy Scouts of America," standard olive shorts, resting their ponytails and braids on plaid neckerchiefs.

Heading to the waterfall, Den 13 took a wrong turn down a dead end trail.

"I kind of like that we got lost," said Hiro Rose, enjoying the river view. After consulting their map, the girls quickly found their way.

For Danielle, the best part of the hike was obvious. "Actually having a snake crawl, like slither across my shoe."

(Reporting by Katharine Jackson; Editing by Mary Milliken and Lisa Shumaker)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-05-29
  • Sad 1

When I was a scout the motto was ever............"Be Prepared".

How will they teach this to a group of people who are masters of controlled confusion?

Jump in boys, it is time we all went home to Mars.

Wont be long before the  scouts have their own brand of condom.

After all,   scouts motto..  BE PREPARED.

Question asked.... can boys join the girl guides?

NO

Reason given.....only boys need guidance which is why girls are now in the scouts.

The worlds f##ked.

46 minutes ago, lanista said:

Question asked.... can boys join the girl guides?

NO

Reason given.....only boys need guidance which is why girls are now in the scouts.

The worlds f##ked.

Boys are having a tough go. They're being neutered and marginalized from a young age.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a32858/drugging-of-the-american-boy-0414/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

It's a sad day when the Boy Scouts are now including girls. 

What could go wrong? 

Before they settle in their dens at night,they better rope off the boys area,post sentry's and turn in their bottles of Coca Cola. 

Edited by riclag

3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Ha! Yes, change is a bitch ... all those adjustments in practical matters and thinking on the part of conservative minded Americans. As with many other things in life an education and travel can open one up to the possibilities. I am retired in Thailand where Scouting is part of the school curriculum ... Scouting = one organization. As the past International Representative for my US Scout Council, I worked with our Sister Cities program and conducted a series of exchanges with our Czech Scout partners (male & female) in the US and Europe, where we also visited Kandersteg International Scout Center in Switzerland. Guess what ... Scouts all, no separate organizations. We Americans have had so much bent out of shape in relationships. I thank those Puritan forefathers ... Yes, there were a few humorous stories along the way but all worked great and without any disasters..... The stories? Offer me a glass of wine and any interested can hear the stories and see the world will not be going to hell in a handbasket due to the American Scouting movement joining the rest of the international community ...

"As Boy Scouts of America widens its scope, the Girl Scouts of the USA is reaffirming its commitment to girls.

"Girl Scouts has always proudly owned the 'Girl' in Girl Scouts, and our programming is, and always will, reflect the fact that we are girl-led and girl-centric," the organisation said in a statement."

Sounds like the American Scouting movement still has a way to go.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, car720 said:

When I was a scout the motto was ever............"Be Prepared".

How will they teach this to a group of people who are masters of controlled confusion?

Jump in boys, it is time we all went home to Mars.

'Be Prepared' for teen aged Scouts will allude to the necessity of carrying condoms on camp-outs in the future.  :whistling:  My my how far Scouting has come.  Such a thought was but a pipe-dream in my Scouting days!!! 

Next up: Birth Control Merit Badges!!!
index.jpeg.1fcfc82bc88e21581c134b8a0b02c9c3.jpeg

Edited by connda
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, nahkit said:

"As Boy Scouts of America widens its scope, the Girl Scouts of the USA is reaffirming its commitment to girls.

"Girl Scouts has always proudly owned the 'Girl' in Girl Scouts, and our programming is, and always will, reflect the fact that we are girl-led and girl-centric," the organisation said in a statement."

Sounds like the American Scouting movement still has a way to go.

That quote is all over Google search, being repeated by female Den leaders in states and cities across the country, with a fascist zeal resembling a white power rally.  

That really does reveal the true underbelly on this.  It's not about the girls in girl scouts.  This is all about the female adults in the girl scouts.  The girl scouts themselves are being exploited and used as pawns by the adults.  The media is all too willing to go along with the program, terrified of the embarrassing truth. 

Personally I don't care and don't have a problem with co-ed.  But there's more to this than that.  No use pretending there isn't.  

One poster asked earlier, what prevents the Girl Scout leadership from taking the girls out for a romp in the woods with a map to find a waterfall in Girl Scout uniforms?  Nothing. 

Here, they are practicing, so they can show the boys they've overcome their insecurities about land navigation.  Insecurities they didn't know they were supposed to have until their adult female den leaders convinced them of it, in order to then "empower" them to overcome it. 

Meanwhile, the boys are thinking, "Yeah, well, we never said you couldn't".  You miserable cows fabricated this fictional drama all on your own.  So piss off and leave us out of it!  ?

image.png.9f2e162dbd9cf9436b7e68288fe70115.png

• Like 1

At Girl Scouts, we are in our second century of preparing girls for a lifetime of leadership. We are proud of our role in our country’s history and are embracing and amplifying our role in its future. We are the organization building the G.I.R.L.s — the go-getters, innovators, risk-takers and leaders — of tomorrow.

This is what we’re offering America — tapping this great untapped resource of girls who take action to make the world a better place.

No organization does this better than we do.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/10/24/girls-star-in-girl-scouts-supporting-players-again-in-boy-scouts-sylvia-acevedo-column/790244001/

Wow!  #MAGA!

Edited by 55Jay

1 hour ago, 55Jay said:

That quote is all over Google search, being repeated by female Den leaders in states and cities across the country, with a fascist zeal resembling a white power rally.  

That really does reveal the true underbelly on this.  It's not about the girls in girl scouts.  This is all about the female adults in the girl scouts.  The girl scouts themselves are being exploited and used as pawns by the adults.  The media is all too willing to go along with the program, terrified of the embarrassing truth. 

Personally I don't care and don't have a problem with co-ed.  But there's more to this than that.  No use pretending there isn't.  

One poster asked earlier, what prevents the Girl Scout leadership from taking the girls out for a romp in the woods with a map to find a waterfall in Girl Scout uniforms?  Nothing. 

Here, they are practicing, so they can show the boys they've overcome their insecurities about land navigation.  Insecurities they didn't know they were supposed to have until their adult female den leaders convinced them of it, in order to then "empower" them to overcome it. 

Meanwhile, the boys are thinking, "Yeah, well, we never said you couldn't".  You miserable cows fabricated this fictional drama all on your own.  So piss off and leave us out of it!  ?

I agree, it does reveal something interesting and bit worrying.

While male-male competition is fundamental to human nature and essential to human progress, males and females were always meant to complement each other, but now feminist females want to compete directly with males - it's gone beyond toms playing football - and there's evidence already that it's stretching society in unhealthy ways, not to mention piling more psychological pressure on everyone. Expect even more kids in therapy in future.

10 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Ha! Yes, change is a bitch ... all those adjustments in practical matters and thinking on the part of conservative minded Americans. As with many other things in life an education and travel can open one up to the possibilities. I am retired in Thailand where Scouting is part of the school curriculum ... Scouting = one organization. As the past International Representative for my US Scout Council, I worked with our Sister Cities program and conducted a series of exchanges with our Czech Scout partners (male & female) in the US and Europe, where we also visited Kandersteg International Scout Center in Switzerland. Guess what ... Scouts all, no separate organizations. We Americans have had so much bent out of shape in relationships. I thank those Puritan forefathers ... Yes, there were a few humorous stories along the way but all worked great and without any disasters..... The stories? Offer me a glass of wine and any interested can hear the stories and see the world will not be going to hell in a handbasket due to the American Scouting movement joining the rest of the international community ...

To me, scouting was about doing boy's stuff, and allowing girls in will of necessity change that, as girls, on the whole don't like doing "boys" stuff. How can it be otherwise?

The change as always will be towards the female desires, not those of the males.

If girls want to do more adventurous things, there is nothing to stop the girl scouts doing them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, riclag said:

Before they settle in their dens at night,they better rope off the boys area,post sentry's and turn in their bottles of Coca Cola. 

Bent beast!  ?

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How fragile is your masculinity if allowing girls into the Scouts bruises it?

Nothing to do with masculinity, it's about the double standards employed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

How fragile is your masculinity if allowing girls into the Scouts bruises it?

Typical shaming tactic by the nasty extreme Left. 

Predictable as rain in rain season at this point.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Forgive me, I had no idea how fragile you are feeling today. 

Here's a thing. 

The girls are have a great time in the Scouts and I'm sure the boys are too.

The Scouts get more members and with more members more funding.

I think that's good news. 

More members? More funding? Do you know anything about this subject at all?

http://time.com/5270638/mormon-church-boy-scouts-cut-ties/

Edited by lannarebirth