Netflix, a Disaster.

NoshowJones

Nearly all the movies on Netflix are widescreen, with blank margins at both the top and the bottom, The searchbox for finding movies and TV shows does not work, when

you click on the magnifying glass, nothing happens. On the movies and TV shows I have watched, there is one 'When Calls The Heart" that cannot be removed.

There is a chatline which is of no help at all. In this day and age, why do they keep on producing modern movies that do not fill the screen, when TV and computer screens are all widescreen? Unlike many others, Netflix has a monthly charge, so unless you mainly want TV series's, or need subtitles, there is hardly any point in having it.

2 hours ago, johng said:

You most likely have a setting wrong on your TV...look for a zoom,ratio, or pan and scan option.

It's not a TV, it is a computer, and on the chatline I was told they could not do anything about the screen for the movies or cancel the TV series I have finished. They are just a dead loss.

Strange problem what you have, I guess the problem must be your device (or settings)

I use Netfilx for years now on phones, TV's, android boxes, game consoles and Computers and never had your described widescreen Problem.

I can confirm your point about things staying in your timeline after you not finished watching because it was rubbish.

This is the only thing what i hate about Netfilx and it wonders me why they not change it.

23 hours ago, MoD1977 said:

Strange problem what you have, I guess the problem must be your device (or settings)

I use Netfilx for years now on phones, TV's, android boxes, game consoles and Computers and never had your described widescreen Problem.

I can confirm your point about things staying in your timeline after you not finished watching because it was rubbish.

This is the only thing what i hate about Netfilx and it wonders me why they not change it.

The thing that has stayed on my timeline had five seasons but netflix only has four seasons on it, I was really enjoying the series.They also told me through their chatline that there was nothing they could do about the blank spaces at the top and bottom of their movies, nothing to do with any settings.

10 hours ago, longball53098 said:

I signed for Netflix Thailand account and it works flawlessly. 350 baht/month gets you a ton of great content. It is all legal and for me on a fiber connection the quality is close to perfect. Never buffers or drops out. I can also use my VPN if I choose to open Netflix in the USA or another country if I choose to see content from that country but you then suffer a slow down and possible buffering issues. I am more than happy with the service they provide. I have been a sub for about a year and no complaints at all as compared to the many various IPTV services I have tried.

If you are happy watching movies like looking through a letterbox, and not completing some of their TV series's, then that's up to you, but I am not. I do agree with you that there is never any buffering though.

Are you serious man?

Movies have been shot in widescreen since the 60's. It's the aspect ratio that is mostly used in cinemas hence the black bars. Why would they get rid of widescreen on Netflix? You'd be losing 15% of the image. If they got rid of black bars I'd be canceling subscription. This is like television 101.

• Thanks 1

LG monitor

Wide: fills the screen regardless of input resolution

Original: matches the incoming aspect ratio and fills the screen from top to bottom

Cinema 1: zooms out the black bars in Cinemascope movies

Cinema 2: does the same, but leaves room for subtitles

1:1: direct pixel-mapping

That takes care of the picture and google VPN's that work with netflix.  Mine works fine. Sometimes I want the UK and other times USA and other times Thailand. 

This is a fairly good explanation of the way aspect ratios are used in film:
https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/aspect-ratios-explained-when-to-use-the-major-three/

But it doesnt mention that Netflix (and others) now seem to favour Univisium for their own content https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univisium which uses an aspect ratio of 2:1.

If you use Chrome to view Netflix there are apps that will compensate for the various different aspect ratios.

21 hours ago, Rarebear said:

LG monitor

Wide: fills the screen regardless of input resolution

Original: matches the incoming aspect ratio and fills the screen from top to bottom

Cinema 1: zooms out the black bars in Cinemascope movies

Cinema 2: does the same, but leaves room for subtitles

1:1: direct pixel-mapping

That takes care of the picture and google VPN's that work with netflix.  Mine works fine. Sometimes I want the UK and other times USA and other times Thailand. 

If I use the VPN, Netflix does not work.

10 hours ago, KittenKong said:

This is a fairly good explanation of the way aspect ratios are used in film:
https://www.premiumbeat.com/blog/aspect-ratios-explained-when-to-use-the-major-three/

But it doesnt mention that Netflix (and others) now seem to favour Univisium for their own content https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univisium which uses an aspect ratio of 2:1.

If you use Chrome to view Netflix there are apps that will compensate for the various different aspect ratios.

I will look into that thanks.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

If I use the VPN, Netflix does not work.

Netflix was working fine today 10 minutes ago with the two VPN's I use.  Try google.  When I had a problem I emailed my VPN and they helped me solve it.  The one problem I had with Netflix and my monitor was fixed with the latest upgrade to Win 10. 

Edited by Rarebear

6 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Netflix was working fine today 10 minutes ago with the two VPN's I use.  Try google.  When I had a problem I emailed my VPN and they helped me solve it.  The one problem I had with Netflix and my monitor was fixed with the latest upgrade to Win 10. 

Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid I know nothing about VPNs, and my biggest problem with Netflix is most of their movies only covers about two thirds of the screen, and they have admitted to me through their chatline that there is nothing that they can do about it.

......and my biggest problem with Netflix is most of their movies only covers about two thirds of the screen, and they have admitted to me through their chatline that there is nothing that they can do about it.

That's to do with the way the films are made and released and has nothing to do with Netflix. It is normal. If you dont like it then either use the zoom button or install one of the apps I mentioned.
Either way you will lose part of the image. Up to you.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Thanks for your help, but I'm afraid I know nothing about VPNs, and my biggest problem with Netflix is most of their movies only covers about two thirds of the screen, and they have admitted to me through their chatline that there is nothing that they can do about it.

Learn how to use your monitor as suggested by others or buy one that is easier to use.  Google "Best monitors for movie watching." The problem is not Netflix but your level of understanding of graphics.

Edited by Rarebear
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Rarebear said:

Learn how to use your monitor as suggested by others or buy one that is easier to use.  Google "Best monitors for movie watching." The problem is not Netflix but your level of understanding of graphics.

You may well be right, I will look into that, but Netflix did say on their chatline that they could not do anything about that, but again that is people who may not know about monitors.

So there is monitors that let all these widescreen movies cover the whole screen?

Thanks a lot for your help.

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

You may well be right, I will look into that, but Netflix did say on their chatline that they could not do anything about that, but again that is people who may not know about monitors.

So there is monitors that let all these widescreen movies cover the whole screen?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Yes a ultra-wide monitor will do the job but you have to dive deep into your valet for a good one.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-ultra-wide-monitors/

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 8:27 PM, longball53098 said:

I signed for Netflix Thailand account and it works flawlessly. 350 baht/month gets you a ton of great content.

I agree that it's best bang for the bucks. 

I have one paid Netflix account which allows multiple people to setup their own profile to watch and track their own stuff .... and have enough contents to watch/pass the time in many countries (I use it in Singapore, Thailand and USA primarily).  Netflix + Terrarium TV, I'm pretty much overloaded with contents that I can't seem to catch up to.

On 5/30/2018 at 12:55 AM, johng said:

You most likely have a setting wrong on your TV...look for a zoom,ratio, or pan and scan option.

TV settings will not change the aspect ratio of movies broadcasted by Netflix. The movies from Netflix that have black borders at the top and bottom have been formatted from the original source. If a film is formatted, the picture will be the same ratio size whether it is broadcasted by Netflix, HBO, Showtime or any other distributor. 

TV settings will not change the aspect ratio of movies broadcasted by Netflix.

No, but settings will change how the TV/monitor displays the movie, often you can zoom in to drastically reduce black bars at top and bottom...with some loss of left/right "wideness"

On 6/1/2018 at 9:11 AM, possum1931 said:

The thing that has stayed on my timeline had five seasons but netflix only has four seasons on it, I was really enjoying the series.They also told me through their chatline that there was nothing they could do about the blank spaces at the top and bottom of their movies, nothing to do with any settings.

The reason Netflix does not have the 5th season could be that the distributor of the series may not have released it to be rebroadcasted by secondary sources as yet or the copyright fees to rebroadcast may be absurd.

9 minutes ago, tweedledee2 said:

The reason Netflix does not have the 5th season could be that the distributor of the series may not have released it to be rebroadcasted by secondary sources as yet or the copyright fees to rebroadcast may be absurd.

You may well be right, but if they cannot show the full series, they should not have it at all, they are taking money

of the subscribers and not giving enough back.

I mean imagine a TV series with five seasons, then missing out the final season. I am not accepting excuses for that crap.