Its annoying when thais drive slow in the overtaking lane

bbabythai

18 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Its at these times that I will flash the lights. 

Thais don't move out of the way for ambulances with sirens blaring, what chance do you think you have?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Somebody told me the highway speed limit (Highway 2 BKK into the Northeast) was actually 90 kph.  Although 110-120 seems to be quite common.  So those pluckers poking along at 90 are actually "right", although I'm with you at how annoying they are.  I would say a good % are looking down at their phones, so slowing down is viewed as being more "safe" while doing so. 

Wasn't there an article recently saying Thailand decided to increase the maximum speed limit?  90 kph was set back in the 70s.  Don't remember the details, something along those lines. 

I drove from Nakhon Phanom to Bangkok this week. It was the first time that I had done so in a year, and I was surprised at the number of signs that I saw stating that 90 was the speed limit and that cameras were in operation.

19 minutes ago, Ombra said:

I drove from Nakhon Phanom to Bangkok this week. It was the first time that I had done so in a year, and I was surprised at the number of signs that I saw stating that 90 was the speed limit and that cameras were in operation.

I should have said that I drove via Mukdahan, Yasothon and Buriram.

Do a service to other road users and cut right back in front of them after undertaking. If they don't move left shortly after that then they will do when Mr Fortuner or pick up gets within a millimeter of their bumper. 

One of my favorite instances of stupid Thai driving is when some moron straddles the far right lane line with one set of wheels on the shoulder and the other set of wheels in the right-hand lane and then drives at a snails pace for the next 2 kilometers.  You don't know if they plan to turn left or turn right or keep going straight or plan to stop or plan to speed up or plan to merge.  Flashing turn signals may or may not indicate the direction Khun Confused will go.  Therefore you're forced to  hang back at a safe distance, well unless you're Thai - then you just pass and if anyone is coming the other direction you play chicken with the oncoming traffic and either invite death or force the other guy off the road. 

The only place your going fast is in your mind, like you said, you need to lower your expectations, which will more than likely lower your blood pressure at the same time.

I will remind you that you are in Thailand, the LOS with the care free, up to you attitude, how dare you lose face by flashing your lights at the car in front that is going slow in the right lane.

May I suggest that you do what I do, wait until there is an opening to go, once ahead of that driver, slow down, allow them to wait, allow them to flash their lights at you, then open your window and wave at them and then move on, life is too short to allow others to peeeeeees you off, these drivers in right lanes are worldwide idiots that no better, and both you me and everyone on TVF won't change things, so get used to it and adjust to Thai time.

This is ridiculous. You are aggravated by slow pokes in the passing lane when there are soooo many other things Thai drivers do that are much more dangerous? Like running through red lights, straddling two lanes, Not staying in their own lane while going around a curve, and on and on. And not one damn thing is EVER going to change unless the police start enforcing the laws.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lungbing said:

My wife explained that one to me.  The other driver had a Mercedes but we only had a Honda.  So he thought he had to be in front for 'face'.

And you can add to the fact that so-called HiSo Thais in their Benz's and BMW's always drive in the speed lane because they are entitled too and it doesn't matter what speed they drive

• Like 1

my strategy is to trick the buggers, I pretend to overtake by indicating, then when they get in my way I undertake instead, works every time, just don't understand why it matters to them though,

did it on a sukhumvit soi and the truck starts beeping to get past, I thought oh great, you want to move now, ok let them through, they do this dramatic skid stop in the middle of the road and get out.

I open the window and explain how bad that tactic was, surely if you do such a thing you should defend 

18 hours ago, 55Jay said:

That seems to be the case even in my country with the periodic increase to speed limit over the decades.  Traffic typically moves 7-10 mph over. 

Wife and I did San Diego to Tuscon in February, then up to Vegas, then back over and down to San Dog.  What a pleasure.  Cruise control set at 80, eating up the miles, everybody including big trucks, all on the same page.  None of this dodging in and out stuff, avoiding slow pokes, etc.   My wife loves driving in the States.  Hasn't a kind word about Thai drivers in general, the roads, or the police here.

I found that driving in the states was very easy, very little hassle and very considerate drivers, no one seemed to be in a rush, and I don't remember seeing slow drivers in the wrong lane, and I have driven all the way between San Francisco and over the Mexican border through Los Angeles, going up the Pacific Coast Highway and down the coast rode, all done very easy, and none of the nonsense you always get here in Thailand. Same applies all the way from LA through the desert to Vegas.

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, toolpush said:

And you can add to the fact that so-called HiSo Thais in their Benz's and BMW's always drive in the speed lane because they are entitled too and it doesn't matter what speed they drive

I pass many BMW/Mercedes and they normally drive 90 and on the left side. 

Why get angry about the "slow drivers". If you check the speed limit you will notice that they just following the law. If it makes you angry just buy a car with more power and you will never really notice anyone blocking your way.

42 minutes ago, Kurtf said:

This is ridiculous. You are aggravated by slow pokes in the passing lane when there are soooo many other things Thai drivers do that are much more dangerous? Like running through red lights, straddling two lanes, Not staying in their own lane while going around a curve, and on and on. And not one damn thing is EVER going to change unless the police start enforcing the laws.

have you ever tried to fix the two lane travel thing? it makes for such a fun time, I got followed all thwe way to trad because i beepeed at them every time they did it

• Haha 1

I have been driving here for a long time, the inconsiderate drivers who hog the right hand lane have long annoyed me! cars here are designed to overtake on the right, not the left, so every time I have to undertake - which is a lot, my exposure to added danger increases!

I long ago figured that the main reason they stay in the outside lane is quite simply because they lack the basic driving skills required to change lanes, the truth of the matter is the majority of these people should not be allowed to ride a push bike, yet here they have driving licenses - or do they?

Patience is all well and good but if you have to drive 500 kilometers in a day, the less time you spend having to pass these incompetence lessens your exposure time on what are indisputably very dangerous roads.

Certain parts of the country are worse than other areas, Chiang Mai area drivers more likely to drive in the correct lane, Pattaya area is a free for all! Udon Thani area is just sad!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, IsaanFam said:

Why get angry about the "slow drivers". If you check the speed limit you will notice that they just following the law. If it makes you angry just buy a car with more power and you will never really notice anyone blocking your way.

Not true.  I was driving on the Route 9 Outer Ring Rd, speed limit 120 kph with the cruise control set to 118 at around midnight when I came upon a driver in the right lane going 60 kph. 

Not only a selfish act but incredibly dangerous for the other road users. 

• Thanks 1

I still remember what my professional driving instructor said many moons ago. If you have to sound your horn or flash your lights, it means YOU have failed to anticipate a developing road situation.

5 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

Total ignorance of any driving etiquette. 

Mainly because they were never taught any.

Agreed. I was the person who taught my Thai GF to check her rear vision mirrors. Her driving instructor never did.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Agreed. I was the person who taught my Thai GF to check her rear vision mirrors. Her driving instructor never did.

What about checking the blind spot behind her over the shoulder not visible with the mirror.  Sounds like you may not be a qualified instructor either.

Edited by norrska

6 hours ago, Lee4Life said:

The same in any country, don't let it get your blood pressure up!

Really?Try that in Germany.You will get a ticket for blocking the fast lane or a Porsche or Benz will blow you away while passing you with 300 Kmh.

Somebody said it's so nice to drive in USA,I think it's most terrible to drive there.I always in danger of falling asleep while driving.What's the point of having a speed limit of 65-75 Mph let's say from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.It's dangerous and annoying 

5 minutes ago, mrmicbkktxl said:

Really?Try that in Germany.You will get a ticket for blocking the fast lane or a Porsche or Benz will blow you away while passing you with 300 Kmh.

Somebody said it's so nice to drive in USA,I think it's most terrible to drive there.I always in danger of falling asleep while driving.What's the point of having a speed limit of 65-75 Mph let's say from Los Angeles to Las Vegas.It's dangerous and annoying 

Might be dangerous and annoying but it happens....what are you going to do about it? Get all worked up and blow a tube? I don't like it any more than you, but it happens.

You have to use to it. It's basic. Don't stress yourself with the flashing lights. They don't move of the right line even if the Ambulance car flashing for them. Don't get surprise. Most of them are brain dead

• Like 2