Constitutional Court removes another hurdle to next election

webfact

Constitutional Court removes another hurdle to next election

By KAS CHANWANPEN 
THE NATION 

0cfca0e5e2ccfd16ee3bced6d4a3959a.jpeg

THE general election planned for next February can go ahead after the Constitutional Court yesterday ruled that the organic law governing the Lower House was constitutional.

The verdict comes six weeks after the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) took the controversial bill to the court over a provision banning people who don’t exercise their right to vote from holding political office, and providing assistance to disabled people inside the polling booth.

Critics had questioned whether the judicial exercise was an effort to prolong the ruling and delay the election through extending the legislation and amendment process. Legislators had red-flagged the two points in the MP election bill, saying they could bring problems in the future and might even lead to the annulment of the election results.

The court, however, voted unanimously that the bill was in line with the Constitution. The verdict means no amendments will be required and the road map to the election is unlikely to be delayed further. 

Although some legislators had argued that prohibiting voters who failed to exercise their voting right from taking political office would be a deprivation of their right, the court said the Constitution actually allowed such a limitation unless the voters provided justifiable reason for why they had not voted.

Regarding NLA members’ fears that providing assistance to disabled voters in the polling centre might violate the confidentiality principle of voting, the court explained the facilitation remained within the limits set by the Constitution. 

Last week, the Constitutional Court also gave the green light to the organic law governing the Upper House and the NLA can now send it to the prime minister to present for royal endorsement.

Currently, one more law relevant to the election is being considered by the court – the political parties law. It was passed late last year. However, the junta issued an order to amend it, setting a new timeframe for political parties’ arrangements in preparing for the election.

That led political parties to complain that the new schedule was impractical and some resulting arrangements required violated their rights. 

The court said yesterday it would deliver a verdict next week to determine the constitutionality of the amendment. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30346629

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-05-31
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I am coming around to the idea that the election will actually occur early next year, if not precisely in February.

Why?

The Junta is running out of legislative reasons to delay it further. They claimed that they took over to end 'chaos' and return Thailand to a smoothly running government; it would be the height of hypocrisy to state that was the reason for the coup then not follow through. Yes, they have been hypocrites before (and will be again), but there are limits...

Various Junta initiatives are coming to fruition or will be around early next year; the prime example being the Thai Niyom. Consider the timing as the military is currently going around holding meetings and setting up political networks which they hope will support them. Then, allowing for a bit of time for administration, the funds should start flowing late this year/early next year, coincidentally just before an election.

I am happy to be corrected, but I seem to recall many of the decisions regarding promotions and allocation of posts for the military occur during the latter part of the year; I am certain the Junta would want a last crack at putting their supporters in place before going to the polls.

Government spending is boosting the economy at the moment, and if there is a political push over the next few months, much more can get out to 'super-charge' the economy in order for the Junta to claim success of their economic policies. It would also allow for funds to go to their supporters and bribe-able politicos in the various provinces.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Junta does have some supporters. That said, I think it very unlikely that the Junta will be able to actually increase its support; accepting that support won't go up, it is logical to go to the polls sooner rather than later as delay will likely mean less enthusiasm and less support the longer they stay in government.

The opposition parties are still in the early stages of getting organized and are crippled to an extent due to the administrative requirements forced on them by the Junta. Whether or not the ban on politics is lifted or not, it is logical to assume that the parties ARE organizing; for the Junta it is better to go to the polls before that is an effective action.

Finally, the Thai people expect it. Yes, the Junta has delayed the polls before, but they are at the end of what would be a normal mandate and it is clear that the people are getting a bit pissed at the delay. Voting has become a part of Thai culture, and it is clear that there is a growing trend towards action; it usually starts with the students (we have seen it already), the parties will jump in, and soon the population will follow. I don't believe that the Junta can delay much longer.

Some of the questions on my mind are;

• Will the Junta try to ban parties, especially the PTP? If so, when?
  • Will the parties unite unofficially into pro/anti junta camps? Or try to go it alone?
  • What administrative hurdles will the Junta try to use to hurt the parties?
  • Will the parties start loudly criticizing the process in order to raise questions about legitimacy?
  • The election will not be 'free and fair', but how un-free and un-fair?
  • Will the Thai people's wishes be reflected in the outcome? And, if yes, will the Junta respect that?

I could go on, but...

Thoughts?

"As much as I hate to admit it, the junta has some supporters".

I do think the number of supporters, vocal and silent, would surprise you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Thoughts?

Nah. Loads of things could or will crop up;

# A certain "important" death and following funeral.

# A certain coronation going wrong.

# A huge cache of arms or "war weapons" are discovered along with a handy bunch of political paraphanalia...

# A bomb "mysteriously" goes off in a public place...

# Too many students are arrested in a demonstration that goes astray...

And a bunch more excuses that I can't be arsed about thinking, but no doubt will arise.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am coming around to the idea that the election will actually occur early next year, if not precisely in February.

I feel that too SB. The junta has really ran out of excuses and now faces legal challenges, growing public discontent and internal fracturing. 

In the first 'honeymoon' year, the general sentiment was still supportive of the coup for the sake of some peace. In 2015-2016, they can use the excuse of the need to hold the referendum and a new constitution before any election and legally that seem fair. The unfortunately demise and the preparation for funeral and succession from 2016-2017 were generally acceptable for the sake of security and peaceful transition. This year  the junta used up their last card by stating that the 4 organic laws for election must be completed and 1 organic law has to be vetted by the constitutional court. The court voted unanimously that the bill was in line with the constitution and no more amendments will be required and the road map to the election is unlikely to be delayed further. It will be even more clearer when the bills are sent for royal endorsement. Huge legal challenge if the junta don't follow the legal period to hold election. Doubt they will risk a royal endorsement addict.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why?

The Junta is running out of legislative reasons to delay it further. They claimed that they took over to end 'chaos' and return Thailand to a smoothly running government; it would be the height of hypocrisy to state that was the reason for the coup then not follow through. Yes, they have been hypocrites before (and will be again), but there are limits...

Various Junta initiatives are coming to fruition or will be around early next year; the prime example being the Thai Niyom. Consider the timing as the military is currently going around holding meetings and setting up political networks which they hope will support them. Then, allowing for a bit of time for administration, the funds should start flowing late this year/early next year, coincidentally just before an election.

I am happy to be corrected, but I seem to recall many of the decisions regarding promotions and allocation of posts for the military occur during the latter part of the year; I am certain the Junta would want a last crack at putting their supporters in place before going to the polls.

Government spending is boosting the economy at the moment, and if there is a political push over the next few months, much more can get out to 'super-charge' the economy in order for the Junta to claim success of their economic policies. It would also allow for funds to go to their supporters and bribe-able politicos in the various provinces.

As much as I hate to admit it, the Junta does have some supporters. That said, I think it very unlikely that the Junta will be able to actually increase its support; accepting that support won't go up, it is logical to go to the polls sooner rather than later as delay will likely mean less enthusiasm and less support the longer they stay in government.

The opposition parties are still in the early stages of getting organized and are crippled to an extent due to the administrative requirements forced on them by the Junta. Whether or not the ban on politics is lifted or not, it is logical to assume that the parties ARE organizing; for the Junta it is better to go to the polls before that is an effective action.

Finally, the Thai people expect it. Yes, the Junta has delayed the polls before, but they are at the end of what would be a normal mandate and it is clear that the people are getting a bit pissed at the delay. Voting has become a part of Thai culture, and it is clear that there is a growing trend towards action; it usually starts with the students (we have seen it already), the parties will jump in, and soon the population will follow. I don't believe that the Junta can delay much longer.

• Will the parties unite unofficially into pro/anti junta camps? Or try to go it alone?
  • Will the parties start loudly criticizing the process in order to raise questions about legitimacy?
  • Will the Thai people's wishes be reflected in the outcome? And, if yes, will the Junta respect that?

I could go on, but...

Thoughts?

i for one will not be holding my breath on a election next year .they are recruiting for the armed forces all over , a 15% increase last year? why? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I think there will be an election and this Junta will be ousted in such a huge defeat they will be unable to have any influence again in Thai politics again.

Malaysia is a good example, nobody, though Najib Razak would lose even me as it would mean him going to prison so a manufactured with was expected but a landslide win for the opposition has him on a flight ban and facing prison

I hope you're right. The military should have no part in governments and do not in democratic countries such as the UK, Australia, New Zealand and many more. This is covered in the constitution of these countries.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Why?

I could go on, but...

Thoughts?

Very well presented. Thanks for insight. 

• Thanks 1

With or without elections: the junta try to stay in power and also Prayut. So they will do anything to avoid to give a real chance to oposition parties. So now they push to get elections as fast as possible. Even they see they are not suceeding anymore and time will show that they nearly ruined the country and drop into a huge deficit!

But most of thais are like a big herd of......

thanks to students who try to stand up and make a change. Always students been the one group who enforced things thanging, and these happens since hundred of yours all around the world! Young people and students are the future and not the oldies wo try to keep all how it was (i#m also an oldie but like changes and look forward to future organised by young educated and smart people)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darcula said:

A brief history lesson:

28 Jun 2014 - Prayuth pledges elections by Oct 2015

09 Feb 2015 - Prayuth pledges elections by Feb 2016

09 Aug 2016 - Prayuth pledges elections by Nov 2017

10 Oct 2017 - Prayuth pledges elections by Nov 2018

27 Feb 2018 - Prayuth pledges elections by Feb 2019

Expect another announcement around August.

Exactly! People forget that power is a drug and hard to kick the habit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darcula said:

A brief history lesson:

28 Jun 2014 - Prayuth pledges elections by Oct 2015

09 Feb 2015 - Prayuth pledges elections by Feb 2016

09 Aug 2016 - Prayuth pledges elections by Nov 2017

10 Oct 2017 - Prayuth pledges elections by Nov 2018

27 Feb 2018 - Prayuth pledges elections by Feb 2019

Expect another announcement around August.

Here are your choices conceived in general terms:

a1fe560d-3c2a-474c-b075-b7d35d5b61f5_zps

• Haha 1