Overstay 70 days , can I re enter if I leave and pay the 20,000 fine and return in a couple of days

Hi people. 

Firstly I would like to let you know that I’m here for only useful info only I know I have made a big mistake by letting my visa expire and not doing anything about it until so late. So please no telling me how stupid I am as I already know this but here goes.

(I am not exceeding the 90 days or more that it states on immigration to trigger a ban from re entering - currently 70 days over stay to be excact )

so basically I have overstayed my 60 day visa  that I obtained in the UK at the Thai embassy in Liverpool and I am currently around 70 days over stay . My Thai girlfriend called immigration to ask what to do and how to sort the issue out. As per Thai immigration info I was told to surrender at immigration in Bangkok don mueang. So yesterday I went with the 20,000 bath to pay the fine surrender my overstay and to pay for  extension ( i was told over the phone by immigration that as it’s below 90 days over stay I could just pay the fine and pay for extension at don mueang) so as I said today I went to do that . Once I got to the desk the officer told me that I couldn’t do anything there and I have to go to either a land border or to bkk airport (leave the country) and pay the fine. Which i understand even though I was told over the phone  to go to don mueang as above. 

So I am going to leave the country but what I am worried about is how I can re enter and what I need to do. ( I plan on staying a few days in another country and coming straight back to Thailand . I am wondering wether I can just arrive back and take the 30 day visa exemption by air or 15 day by land border. (UK citizen as far as I am aware can take the 30/15 days exemption on arrival.) 

But the fact that I have overstayed will this stop me from doing so and what would the best corse of action be? ( obvs the best corse of action would be not overstaying at all and respect the rules of the country, which going forward I will and don’t plan on putting my self in this situation again) I am writing here to see Wether any one here has been in a similar situation or know of anyone who has been in a similar situation. 

Im looking to either go to any of the surrounding countries that border Thailand by air or land to exit and pay the fine but what am worried about is how I can re enter Thailand and wether I will be denied entry for my overstay . As I can see from internet there’s only info about a ban if you exceed 90 days but there’s no info about if you overstay but don’t exceed the 90 days other than paying the fine which i understand.

Kindest , 

a silly young tourist .

11 minutes ago, Spectra112 said:

Im looking to either go to any of the surrounding countries that border Thailand by air or land to exit and pay the fine but what am worried about is how I can re enter Thailand and wether I will be denied entry for my overstay . As I can see from internet there’s only info about a ban if you exceed 90 days but there’s no info about if you overstay but don’t exceed the 90 days other than paying the fine which i understand.

You are right regarding this. However, that is if you surrender yourself, pay the fine and leave the country. If they would catch you, it would be a totally different thing, and you would be banned from entering for 1 year.

In reality, you hsould just be able to leave the country and re-enter the second day or same week. That is in line with the set rules. However, as you are probably well aware of, the rules are implemented at the discretion of the IO that you meet at entering the country.

My suggestion to you would be. Book a ticket to your home country, due to that is well recieved in the eyes of the Immigration. When there, apply for a tourist visa and do not try to enter directly with a visa exemption tactic. See to that you have your 20000 to show and your bookings and flight home ticket is possible to show.

As I say, you should have no problem as long as they do not catch you before you give yourself up at the airport. Unfortunately there are no guarantees, though.

Also be very sure that you are going to get grilled with questions when you try to re-enter the country. Be polite and appologize for your misstake. You learned and will not repeat the offense. After all you have a lovely person you want to stay with here, and want to show her that you are a respectful person and good for country and people.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Interesting which strange advise immigration gave you, or maybe it was lost in translation with your GF. Even if you went to immigration, applied for an extension and paid the 20k THB you would still have been on overstay, because an extension would have been 30 days max. Lucky that you weren't arrested there.

The safest bet is to leave the country at an airport, and get another tourist visa before you come back to Thailand.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Interesting which strange advise immigration gave you, or maybe it was lost in translation with your GF. Even if you went to immigration, applied for an extension and paid the 20k THB you would still have been on overstay, because an extension would have been 30 days max. Lucky that you weren't arrested there.

The safest bet is to leave the country at an airport, and get another tourist visa before you come back to Thailand.

Thank you for the info really appreciate it !!

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure why you were told to go to immigration at Don Mueang since there is no immigration office where you could get an extension. Perhaps they were telling to book a flight and leave the country from there. 

Are you saying you have stayed in the country for 70 days after your 60 day entry ended. 

I suggest you leave the country by air and pay the overstay fine on departure from the country. Then go to a nearby embassy to get a single entry tourist visa before returning to the county.

Having a tourist visa for entry would be much better than getting a visa exempt entry when you return.

Hey sorry I meant the immigration office at cheangwattana 

1 hour ago, Spectra112 said:

Hey sorry I meant the immigration office at cheangwattana 

You were very lucky if you turned up at Chiangwattana with a 70 day overstay. You must have made a good impression, because you were at risk of being arrested, deported, and blacklisted.

Take full advantage of your good fortune. Book a flight to Ho Chi Minh City, and leave to get a tourist visa there. Do not book a flight to Vientiane, because you will likely not be allowed to check in for the flight (Lao immigration rule for people on overstay in Thailand). Leaving via land borders is also risky. Immigration at a land crossing may not allow you to leave though (if you want to gamble) people have successfully cleared their overstays at Nong Khai (going to Vientiane where you can easily get a tourist visa).

38 minutes ago, Ochomo said:

"Firstly I would like to let you know that I’m here for only useful info only I know I have made a big mistake by letting my visa expire and not doing anything about it until so late. So please no telling me how stupid I am"

How dare you deny us law-abiding residents the joy of telling you law-breaking young one how stupid you are!

Indeed, where will us bitter bar stool losers get our kicks if such things are disallowed. Please remember overstayers are second after digital nomads for rising our blood pressure because "it makes it difficult for the rest of us" 555.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You should definitely avoid re-entering using visa exempt entry. Re-enter with a tourist visa and be prepared for questioning about what you do in the country and if you’re working. There are no set rules on re-entry following a <90 day overstay. You could be denied entry but the decision will be down to the IO’s processing your entry. 

• Like 1

With the recent overstay I would fly back in Chiang Mai from KL to be on the safe side, no denied reports from CM as far as I know, also at least then even if your denied the worst they can do is send you back to KL (at your expense) - No direct flights to UK from CM. Make sure you have 20,000, a hotel voucher, and a ticket out of thailand within 30 days 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Spectra112 said:
6 hours ago, jackdd said:

Thank you for the info really appreciate it !!

I would fly to Saigon on AirAsia.  You can get a Thai Tourist Visa at the Thai consulate there easily.  Saigon is a nice place to spend a few days, then fly back in to Don Meaung.

4 hours ago, Ochomo said:

How dare you deny us law-abiding residents the joy of telling you law-breaking young one how stupid you are!

Clearly playing by by the established rules isn't one of his strengths. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Shouldn't be allowed to have a passport if you don't understand visa expiry dates.  It's guys like you that have caused these laws to be created.

1. Put him in jail I reckon , life sentence, no parole 
  • Haha 2

Also for your information if crossing in from another country by land as a Brit you get 30 days visa exempt not 15 but you are only allowed 2 visa exempt crossings by land in a calendar year. A 60 day tourist visa can be extended at immigration in Thailand for an additional 30 days for a payment of 1900 baht.

Here my experience with clearing a 300 days (299 to be more accurate)  overstay

It was before the laws were being enforced the next year around that.

On July 1st, 2015: I crossed the border at the Vientiane border.

I handed the 20k. Answered the question of the IO: "why such a long overstay".

After talking some gibberish and 3 seconds later he just sayed OK made the stamps or things and I was on my way to Vientiane Thai Embassy, who gave me a double entry Tourist visa (it doesn't existe anymore I think?).

Anyway one of the most famous visa trips company sayed that border crossing into Vientiane in Laos (Nong Khai?) is one of the best to deal with.

I also think, based on what I read on this forum over 4 years, information written bt highly skilled people regarding the visa and immigration troubles, that it's better to leave from Bangkok Airport and leave the country that way.

Edited by alexlm

Mate get out of the country first...then review your options.why did you overstay? Surely not over a woman? Is this yr first time? They MAY be lenient on you coming back with a VISA not visa exempt. But note to self....stick to the rules or there will be more than likely a problem. How old are you can you not get work,marriage ,retirement or even a multi tourist visa? If not I would suggest an easier holiday destination

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not sure why you were told to go to immigration at Don Mueang since there is no immigration office where you could get an extension. Perhaps they were telling to book a flight and leave the country from there. 

Are you saying you have stayed in the country for 70 days after your 60 day entry ended. 

I suggest you leave the country by air and pay the overstay fine on departure from the country. Then go to a nearby embassy to get a single entry tourist visa before returning to the county.

Having a tourist visa for entry would be much better than getting a visa exempt entry when you return.

Thank you joe !! 

On 5/31/2018 at 11:15 AM, colinneil said:

Yes op it is fools like you that make immigration officers make other farangs jump through hoops when they go for extensions.

Hey fool overstayers like me have just been given a new 3 month visa no questions asked so suck a big one 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Spectra112 said:

Yeah I thought that as well but nope full 90 days ... 

It is valid to enter the country for 3 months from the date of issue but you will only get a 60 day entry when you enter the country that can be extended for 30 days at a immigration office.

52 minutes ago, Spectra112 said:

Hey fool overstayers like me have just been given a new 3 month visa no questions asked so suck a big one 

Well if you got a 3 months visa, you would be the first tourist ever to receive 1, so better tell the truth and say you got 60 tourist visa, no need for bs.