Jomtien immigration -- tracking rumor about change in policy about freshness of income letters

1 minute ago, mugaly said:

Maybe they should start charging 500 baht admission?  That way they could afford all the bells and whistles, power point presentations etcetc.

Yes, the absurd fifty dollar charge for an affidavit is not quite enough of a rip off. The reaction of officials at Thai Immigration when told what we pay for a LETTER,  is very instructive. Ripped off by both sides. If you don't like it, stay in your native country and live in penury.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Yes, the absurd fifty dollar charge for an affidavit is not quite enough of a rip off. The reaction of officials at Thai Immigration when told what we pay for a LETTER,  is very instructive. Ripped off by both sides. If you don't like it, stay in your native country and live in penury.

No free lunches anymore pal!  Free riders and penny pinchers have a very limited range of options/rights.

Funny or not really ,

most on here know how Thailand works.

So, if many people are reading this and continue to go into Immigration and ask the question,  some higher level IO might think: gee, that sounds like a good idea..

Just sayin.

?

I really don't see what all the fuss and concern is about. Presumably those  who are renewing an extension need a letter once every 12 months. So why not, in future,  just get your annual letter within one month of the renewal date on your extension of stay.  It's not exactly rocket science is it,  just sensible planning I would say. 

42 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

At the Australian Embassy, you're paying the official government charge in Australia dollars for such a consular service... which is actually a statutory declaration, which is not "income letter" specific. I don't think we can call it a rip-off, but just the standard price they charge for such a service, in AUD, across the world. The prices are set in Australia and there's not much anyone can do about it. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I really don't see what all the fuss and concern is about. Presumably those  who are renewing an extension need a letter once every 12 months. So why not, in future,  just get your annual letter within one month of the renewal date on your extension of stay.  It's not exactly rocket science is it,  just sensible planning I would say. 

This has been covered before.

Convenience for example, such as if you happen to be in Bangkok anyway outside the one month.

Consular visits, infrequent, depending on availability.
Convenience.

People that can do online, great for them. Not for everyone.
The rule is NOT one month. 

It is SIX months.

It's STUPID to go out of your way, make a specially timed trip to Bangkok when it is totally unnecessary.

There is no point in continuing to feed the RUMOR which has been well confirmed as FALSE INFORMATION about a change from six months to one month.

The rule remains SIX months.

People should logically plan their letters around the ACTUAL rule, not based on a DEBUNKED rumor.

To add even though you were asked several times to inform us where you got the information that began this RUMOR, you never answered, so I have decided based on your non-cooperation and other information from others that good the accurate info from the retirement desk, that you definitely got that FALSE information from the front desk not the actual retirement desk. You're kind of a newbie, I get it, we've all been there, but experienced people have learned to deeply discount the info at the front desk vs. the actual desk processing specific applications.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing

2 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Even if it was a month, which apparently it isn't, that would give you 2 months leeway because in Jomtien you can apply for your extension one month in advance of its expiry. I always used to get my letter the day before my extension, a month early, but thanks to JT and his voluminous OCD posting habits on TV, I now know I can get the letter even earlier, and this month I will do just that.

We've covered this before. It is ALWAYS implied the aging is about time before the APPLICATION time, NOT the expiration date of current permission to stay. 

I don't think it's OCD to refute false information and rumors. I find it weird why anyone would continue to try to FEED this false information at this point.

The only thing of value in that regard would be a credible first hand report of a rejection based on age of letter under six months. No rational reason to expect any such report is forthcoming.

Total of such credible reports to date showing rejection based on age under six months? ZERO. 

Edited by Jingthing

Just now, Jingthing said:

We've covered this before. It is ALWAYS implied the aging is about time before the APPLICATION time, NOT the expiration date of current permission to stay. 

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Convenience for example, such as if you happen to be in Bangkok anyway outside the one month.

Convenience.

It is SIX months.

It's STUPID to go out of your way, make a specially timed trip to Bangkok when it is totally unnecessary.

There is no point in continuing to feed the RUMOR which has been well confirmed as FALSE INFORMATION about a change from six months to one month.

People should logically plan their letters around the ACTUAL rule, not based on a DEBUNKED rumor.

To add even though you were asked several times to inform us where you got the information that began this RUMOR, you never answered, so I have decided based on your non-cooperation and other information from others, that you definitely got that FALSE information form the front desk not the actual retirement desk. You're kind of a newbie, I get it, but experienced people have learned to deeply discount the info at the front desk vs. the actual desk processing specific applications.

Cheers. 

I will say it just one more time, although why I am wasting my time on you I  really don't know.  It wasn't a rumour was it, it was fact.  Do you understand the difference?  If you read my original post, which you clearly don't understand, I told you that I was told by an IO in the Jomtien Office.  I described her to you and to others.  She was standing talking to another IO in front of the  blue seats. I have no idea which desk  she works at in the building.  Sorry I didn't get her mothers maiden name, her taste in music, or the colour of her dog!! I  frankly don't give a rats ass about your comments or  opinion.  I passed on my experience in good faith, as an aid to others. How they go about getting their extension is a matter for them.  I did what I  told to do by an Immigration Official, always wise in LOS,  and I have my extension.  In future I will continue to  ensure that my letter is less that 30 days old when I re apply.  Now, I'm done with you and with this over worked post. Get a life mate and drop it. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Convenience.

It is SIX months.

To add even though you were asked several times to inform us where you got the information that began this RUMOR, you never answered, so I have decided based on your non-cooperation and other information from others that good the accurate info from the retirement desk, that you definitely got that FALSE information from the front desk not the actual retirement desk. You're kind of a newbie, I get it, we've all been there, but experienced people have learned to deeply discount the info at the front desk vs. the actual desk processing specific applications.

Cheers. 

The front desk is a treasure trove of bad information or NO information. It is staffed sometimes by college students. I had two of them that were arguing with each other until one won out and that resulted in having to make, what I later learned was an unnecessary trip to Laos for a visa. Anything to save face and anything to avoid actual work. The Thai way....if you don't know....make something up.

• Like 2

I have checked several times and not found one in the afternoon before.
Just checked for this month and next month and found the appointments on Thursdays are all afternoon appointments.
Getting ready to do one for next month on a Thursday afternoon so I can fly down and back easily on the same day from here in Ubon.

A bit off topic but after reading this thread I think the answer to this question may help a few of us:

I have an appointment at the US Embassy next week 1045.

If there is a long line it sounds like going to the window ahead of the line to let them know you are there for a scheduled appointment is not going to make any difference.

I understand getting there too early doesn’t help because they still have you wait outside.

If anyone has experience going for appointments there can you shed some light as to what is the most appropriate time to arrive? I’m not staying close so I’ll come early and have a coffee no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 minutes ago, DepDavid said:

If there is a long line it sounds like going to the window ahead of the line to let them know you are there for a scheduled appointment is not going to make any difference.
I understand getting there too early doesn’t help because they still have you wait outside.
If anyone has experience going for appointments there can you shed some light as to what is the most appropriate time to arrive? I’m not staying close so I’ll come early and have a coffee no big deal.

I have never had more than one or two people in front of me when checking in for my appointment at the window

The long line is for people applying for visas and they enter through a different door.

They will not let you through the doors if you are earlier than 15 minutes according to recent reports.

I have never had more than one or two people in front of me when checking in for my appointment at the window
The long line is for people applying for visas and they enter through a different door.
They will not let you through the doors if you are earlier than 15 minutes according to recent reports.

Outstanding information, thank you sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2018 at 6:54 AM, a977 said:

So let me get this right we are all expats living in LoS, not allowed to work due to Visa regulations, have all the time in the world on our hands and can't be bothered to go to BKK a couple of days before retirement extension is due, come on folks wake up to yourselves. I live in Pattaya Day before Extension I get taxi to Australian embassy in BKK get declaration of income signed (1700thb) get back in waiting taxi return to Pattaya (2300thb) on return I go to photo shop get passport size photo taken (120thb) then go to bank get letter confirming account (100thb) then go to local and sample the local brew.  Next day after lunch attend Jomtien Immigration (leaving home at 12.45pm) get number and wait for lovely lady at counter 8 to call me up, all paperwork done go to local (approx. 2pm.) sample local brew. The hardest part of this exercise is leaving the local

so no need to go to Ministry of Foreign Affairs? That makes it easier.

• Haha 1

On 6/1/2018 at 8:55 AM, Thailand J said:

1. Only a passport is required at the US embassy to get the income letter, no printouts.

2. US Embassy has outreach program to come to Pattaya.

US is very advanced by any standard.

Isn't a stamp required by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? How is that done when you use an outreach program? I'm confused.

13 minutes ago, elgenon said:

Isn't a stamp required by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? How is that done when you use an outreach program? I'm confused.

That is not required at Jomtien immigration to apply for an extension of stay. They do want it if applying for a change of status or a non immigrant visa.

There are a few offices ( 4 or 5) that do want it for an extension of stay application.

13 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is not required at Jomtien immigration to apply for an extension of stay. They do want it if applying for a change of status or a non immigrant visa.

There are a few offices ( 4 or 5) that do want it for an extension of stay application.

Would I need income letter stamped if changing from a retire extension to a marriage extension ? Is it a stamp from MFA or the whole translation and certified ?

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Would I need income letter stamped if changing from a retire extension to a marriage extension ? Is it a stamp from MFA or the whole translation and certified ?

Not needed for changing the reason for an extension of stay. As I wrote it is only needed to a apply for change of visa status (tourist to non immigrant) or a non immigrant visa.

For those that need the signature of the consular officer on a income document verified it does not need to be translated unless it is not in English.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

FYI ….. From past reports, only a few immigration offices (mostly in or near Bangkok) require the embassy income letter to be authenticated by the MFA Consular Department for the purpose of renewing extension of stay.

My immigration office (Nakhonpathom being one of them).  When I did my 90 day reporting a couple of months ago the IO reminded, after looking at my details on her computer, that my extension renewal was due in September and that if I was using an embassy letter to support my income claim, that the letter needed to be authenticated by the MFA.

It should be noted that although MFA and immigration use the term authenticate in fact the MFA only certify that the signature on the embassy letter is genuine as per the sticker which they put on the rear of the letter (see below).

Untitled-1.jpg.53743ec1100c01d71e7dc942ae1ab7cc.jpg

Although it is possible for me to get into Bangkok and get the embassy letter authenticated at the MFA in a day, frankly it’s a pain in the rear having get up before the crack of dawn to get there before 9:30am, and then wait around to collect the letter in the afternoon, plus getting back home in rush hour traffic.

The MFA Consular Department have an option that allows you to post your documents to them for authentication.  I have done this for the past couple of years and the process works well.  This year I posted the documents by EMS on Monday morning and received the authenticated embassy letter back by EMS on Wednesday afternoon.  Cost 460 BHT paid by post office money order.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1303/24762-Procedure-of-Document-Authentication-by-Mail.html

To really P me off, the IO who’d previously reminded me that my income letter needed to be authenticated by the MFA did my renewal of extension of stay last week.  She never looked to see if the letter had been authenticated (sticker on the back), she just looked at the income figures and converted them to Baht against that days Bangkok Bank buying rate.

As has been said on many occasions on TV, when the IO says jump, just jump and don’t ask how high!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 007 RED said:

FYI ….. From past reports, only a few immigration offices (mostly in or near Bangkok) require the embassy income letter to be authenticated by the MFA Consular Department for the purpose of renewing extension of stay.

My immigration office (Nakhonpathom being one of them).  When I did my 90 day reporting a couple of months ago the IO reminded, after looking at my details on her computer, that my extension renewal was due in September and that if I was using an embassy letter to support my income claim, that the letter needed to be authenticated by the MFA.

It should be noted that although MFA and immigration use the term authenticate in fact the MFA only certify that the signature on the embassy letter is genuine as per the sticker which they put on the rear of the letter (see below).

Untitled-1.jpg.53743ec1100c01d71e7dc942ae1ab7cc.jpg

Although it is possible for me to get into Bangkok and get the embassy letter authenticated at the MFA in a day, frankly it’s a pain in the rear having get up before the crack of dawn to get there before 9:30am, and then wait around to collect the letter in the afternoon, plus getting back home in rush hour traffic.

The MFA Consular Department have an option that allows you to post your documents to them for authentication.  I have done this for the past couple of years and the process works well.  This year I posted the documents by EMS on Monday morning and received the authenticated embassy letter back by EMS on Wednesday afternoon.  Cost 460 BHT paid by post office money order.

http://www.consular.go.th/main/th/services/1303/24762-Procedure-of-Document-Authentication-by-Mail.html

To really P me off, the IO who’d previously reminded me that my income letter needed to be authenticated by the MFA did my renewal of extension of stay last week.  She never looked to see if the letter had been authenticated (sticker on the back), she just looked at the income figures and converted them to Baht against that days Bangkok Bank buying rate.

As has been said on many occasions on TV, when the IO says jump, just jump and don’t ask how high!

Valuable information. Thanks!

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not needed for changing the reason for an extension of stay. As I wrote it is only needed to a apply for change of visa status (tourist to non immigrant) or a non immigrant visa.

For those that need the signature of the consular officer on a income document verified it does not need to be translated unless it is not in English.

Thanks, another informative statement.