Should you be careful about what you write in TV Forum?

Brunolem

3 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

It sure is!

And if you want to buy fertilizer, it is helpful to have the police knock on your door and ask you how you plan to use it!

I will tell them that I will put the fertilizer  my garden, and plant some vegetables

• Haha 2

A long time ago, old news already but:

Zuckerberg: Yeah so if you ever need info about anyone at Harvard

Zuckerberg: Just ask.

Zuckerberg: I have over 4,000 emails, pictures, addresses, SNS

[Redacted Friend's Name]: What? How'd you manage that one?

Zuckerberg: People just submitted it.

Zuckerberg: I don't know why.

Zuckerberg: They "trust me"

Zuckerberg: Dumb <deleted>.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

What is so wrong with adverts ?

I would much rather they send me adverts which I may need , rather than bombarding me with random adverts which I have no use for

how can you possibly ask that question having watched the video?

Just now, sanemax said:

I didnt watch the video , to scared to log into youtube at the moment , need to go to an anonymous internet shop to watch it  , dont want them to know that I am watching them

ah, i see. 

no more point in talking to you then, is there.

keep stirring at least you amuse yourself

• Thanks 1

There is a movie that covered this issue very well - The Circle (Tom Hanks)

Staying away from the broader/bigger issues raised by the OP and the movie mentionmed above, and sticking to Expats in Thailand, my advice is that it would be very wise not to 'cross the line' here, assuming that because you have a made up account, that the Thai authorities could not track you down (should they ever want to).  As pointed out, every post you make using your mobile phone network can be 'traced' to you, and if you use a PC at home, without a VPN, then every post on that can also be traced to your IP address (your home).

Why they would ever want to do that is not the issue raised, the issue is that they can. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sanemax said:

Which company does that ?

Why would anyone want to know what videos I have been watching on youtube ?

Which company is constantly monitoring me and why are they doing it ?

Or are these just the concerns of paranoid old hippies who smoked too much weed in their youth ?

The dynamic marketing companies / social media owners etc., glean a lot marketing / segmentation / customer targetting / buying behavior and more  from their analysis and of course sell it for a good return.

Moral or immoral, is I guess the real question. 

6 minutes ago, scorecard said:

and of course sell it (your data*) for a good return.

The big boys, Facebook Google etc, do not sell your data, they hoard it and sell advertising slots to other big companies and then target you as requested by the advertiser.

*added for clarity!  

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

The dynamic marketing companies / social media owners etc., glean a lot marketing / segmentation / customer targetting / buying behavior and more  from their analysis and of course sell it for a good return.

Moral or immoral, is I guess the real question. 

Its convenient .

I would rather see adverts that may interest me (like cheap flights and erection dysfunctional help ), rather than receiving adverts about sanitary pads  and dog food

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Right then,  I better start enjoying myself before I get arrested and sent to work hard labour in the Siberian salt mines because my grandson is watching Tom & Jerry cartoons on YouTube.  

Tom & Jerry is an extremely violent cartoon and promotes gender inequality and cruelty to animals while damaging the environment, causing global warming and teaching people to be tricky and dishonest like the mouse. Wiley Coyote and Roadrunner is much more suitable.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

Google ?

OK, what will Google do with all the info they have on me ?

7 Billion people in the World , why would Google be watching me ?

I'm not having a go at you mate but honestly I think you've either lost the plot or you're just being polemic.

No Google isn't camped outside your residence  focusing binoculars on your place but just as with www.Doubleclick.com, they're keeping a record of your activity on the internet.

Too  bad you can't arse yourself to check a related link  to the thread.    

Do you ever share relevant links on threads for the TVF membership?

• Like 1

I am a bit surprised by the significant number of members who either dismiss, or don't care, or even don't believe that their every move is watched and duly recorded for posterity, and for unknown purposes.

History has repeatedly shown that massive gathering of citizens' private data never ends well (from the nazis, to the Stasi, the KGB, the FBI with Hoover, to today's NSA).

It is not because such data gathering is done by "private" companies that it changes anything, because today state and big business are intimately connected (just check who the chairmen of Alphabet or Amazon are in cahoots with).

Right now, this data may be mostly used for advertising purposes, but that could be changed with the stroke of a (governmental) pen!

• Like 1

I am a bit surprised by the significant number of members who either dismiss, or don't care, or even don't believe that their every move is watched and duly recorded for posterity, and for unknown purposes.

History has repeatedly shown that massive gathering of citizens' private data never ends well (from the nazis, to the Stasi, the KGB, the FBI with Hoover, to today's NSA).

It is not because such data gathering is done by "private" companies that it changes anything, because today state and big business are intimately connected (just check who the chairmen of Alphabet or Amazon are in cahoots with).

Right now, this data may be mostly used for advertising purposes, but that could be changed with the stroke of a (governmental) pen!

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you, hmmm, I think I'd rather be paranoid ergo I would have a logical excuse for odd thoughts.

16 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

I'm not having a go at you mate but honestly I think you've either lost the plot or you're just being polemic.

No Google isn't camped outside your residence  focusing binoculars on your place but just as with www.Doubleclick.com, they're keeping a record of your activity on the internet.

Why should that bother me ?

What will they do with all these records that they keep of me ?

Publish a book and come and present it to me on my deathbed and say "This is a history of what you have been doing for the last 30 years online"

Is there someone at Google HQ watching my every move , or do they receive billions of data on an hourly basis , that no one even looks at ?

Why the hell would anyone want to watch everything that I do ?

"Sanemax just did a websearch for best pizza in CM , hes leaving his house now , get the CCTV on and follow him  , hes just stopped off in 7/11 and hes talking to one of the workers . Hes now left 7/11 and walking to Pizza hut ..........." who cares?

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Is there someone at Google HQ watching my every move , or do they receive billions of data on an hourly basis , that no one even looks at ?

I think i already addressed that in my post.    Did you "bother" to read it?

Again, if you don't care about your privacy, good for you.   Just turn out the lights at bedtime and sleep peacefully.  

Better yet, Ignore this thread altogether.

Some of us do care   about at least a semblance of privacy.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Why should that bother me ?

What will they do with all these records that they keep of me ?

Publish a book and come and present it to me on my deathbed and say "This is a history of what you have been doing for the last 30 years online"

Why the hell would anyone want to watch everything that I do ?

"Sanemax just did a websearch for best pizza in CM , hes leaving his house now , get the CCTV on and follow him  , hes just stopped off in 7/11 and hes talking to one of the workers . Hes now left 7/11 and walking to Pizza hut ..........." who cares?

They won't be bothering with you. You are exactly the kind of citizen they prefer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

Again, if you don't care about your privacy, good for you.   Just turn out the lights at bedtime and sleep peacefully.  

King Canute cared about the tide coming in too!

44 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

Just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you, hmmm, I think I'd rather be paranoid ergo I would have a logical excuse for odd thoughts.

Simoh1490, are you out of your medication?

Please rephrase this gibberish unworthy of you...

Simoh1490, are you out of your medication?

Please rephrase this gibberish unworthy of you...

I have been advised to ignore flames and bait and this I shall do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Look, no one cares what you do on the internet .

No ones watching you , if you want to keep something private, then, dont post it online

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

They won't be bothering with you. You are exactly the kind of citizen they prefer.

Will "they" be bothering you ?

If so, why are you different to me ?

Why would "they" bother you and not bother me ?

2 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Let’s hope Gerry Adams’ girlfriend doesn’t live down your street.

Maybe it was Canukamok they were really after.  Have you seen the film Brazil?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Look, no one cares what you do on the internet .

No ones watching you , if you want to keep something private, then, dont post it online

It is somewhat amazing that someone who prouds himself of not reading anything may feel that he can make such definitive statements!

So, the guy who has done the research, posted the results together with proofs, is wrong, while you, who have done nothing of that, are right!

This reminds me of these climate deniers who have no scientific knowledge or experience, yet are nevertheless convinced that they know better than professional scientists who spend all their time studying climate!

3 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

King Canute cared about the tide coming in too!

No he didn’t.  Canute’s point, in response to his courtiers who insisted that he do something about the Danish invasion, was that he could no more stop the Danes than he could stop the tide coming in. Although, as King, he held ultimate temporal authority, he was not omnipotent

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 1