2018 renewal of Extension to Stay (Jomtien) (Retirement Extension)

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

One day is OK.

I was at Jomtien Immigration yesterday renewing my Retirement extension and asked 2 questions at the of the Officer which will make things clear.

1) The Bank Letter can be up to 3 days old (but make sure your book total is the same as the letter if you do take the whole 3 days).

2) The paperwork using the Embassy method can be up to 6 months.

Hope that helps.

Remember this is Jomtien that I am talking about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thainet said:

I was at Jomtien Immigration yesterday renewing my Retirement extension and asked 2 questions at the of the Officer which will make things clear.

1) The Bank Letter can be up to 3 days old (but make sure your book total is the same as the letter if you do take the whole 3 days).

2) The paperwork using the Embassy method can be up to 6 months.

Hope that helps.

Remember this is Jomtien that I am talking about.

That is a significant report considering right now we are the middle of a major controversy about whether the rule has changed on income letters which definitely has been six months allowed for years now but recently some controversy suggesting it was changed to only ONE month.

May I ask you did you get the information about the income letter at the intake front desk or at the actual internal RETIREMENT desk?

Thank you. I consider you have made a significant report regarding this new controversy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

That is a significant report considering right now we are the middle of a major controversy about whether the rule has changed on income letters which definitely has been six months allowed for years now but recently some controversy suggesting it was changed to only ONE month.

May I ask you did you get the information about the income letter at the intake front desk or at the actual internal RETIREMENT desk?

Thank you. I consider you have made a significant report regarding this new controversy.

I talked with Mr Somsak (who is the longtime Retirement Officer at the Retirement desk--and who I play badminton with sometimes (large group)...and 6 mths  was his answer and also a nod from the young lady taking the photo, when picking up your passport. So there you have it for yesterdays info.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, thainet said:

I talked with Mr Somsak (who is the longtime Retirement Officer at the Retirement desk--and who I play badminton with sometimes (large group)...and 6 mths  was his answer and also a nod from the young lady taking the photo, when picking up your passport. So there you have it for yesterdays info.

Wow. That is a HUGE help and very timely as well.

Soon there is a U.S. consular visit here and many people needing income letters. If the rule had really changed, most of those letters would be WORTHLESS!

• Like 1

I was there about 2 weeks ago. It took 9 minutes for me to apply for the extension and 13 minutes to pick up and got a re-entry permit. I used my yellow house book to show my address.

I took two trips abroad and did not refile TM30 when I got back, no question asked.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Wow. That is a HUGE help and very timely as well.

Soon there is a U.S. consular visit here and many people needing income letters. If the rule had really changed, most of those letters would be WORTHLESS!

Well there you go Jinthing that's going to save you and everyone else you have been asking a trip to Jomtien Immigration. Between thainet and Ubonjoe's threads we have the answer, now we can all have a good nights sleep and not have to wake up to this this topic any more

• Haha 1

Nice quick service at the moment at Jomtien . Mine too was about 1.5hrs total , but that included Retirement Visa + Multi Re-Entry AND a fresh 90 day Report too. Had a nice lunch there. Just keep 800k in the bank and no worries/hassles . Lady at bank said have 3 days after date on letter, but as recommended by UJ I stuck to one day  its long enough tbh. Guy on left outside 'Visa for UK 'or similar  did all the photocopies for 70 baht. I has handed him house book etc, passport, bank book....he did the rest .Presented it back to me in 2 neat piles ( One for Visa, 1 for Multi Re-entry) . Even got the 2 photos done at same shop. All this and still only 1.5 hours . Ooh I did ask him how much for him to do Visa + Multi Re-entry??....13,000 baht. No way ! ... 5,700 baht and all done....thanks to UJ & Others.

• Like 1

I think the "3 Days" for the bank letter is meant to cover those who get their letter on Friday and go into Immigration first thing Monday morning. Doesn't help much though if you get the letter on a Thursday because Friday is a Holiday, then find out on Monday that they are closed because Tuesday is also a holiday and they decided to have a 5 day break ! 

Another advantage of doing "mid-week" Immigration visits (normally).

I guess the "3 day" rule would also be useful for those that are travelling from other places. I only ever hear stories about the Immigration centers in Jomtien, Bangkok and (sometimes) Chiang Mai. Where do the people from ChaChoengSao and Prachinburi and Petchabun (for example) go to do their Immigration business ? If you live in Chantaburi can you do everything at the Ban Laem border or do you have to go somewhere else ? What about Maha Sarakham ? Long way to go to get to any border from there (or to Bangkok). 

Seems odd that (as far as I can recall) I've never heard of people's dealings with any other Immigration offices (not counting Immigration issues at places outside of the country).

Well there you go Jinthing that's going to save you and everyone else you have been asking a trip to Jomtien Immigration. Between thainet and Ubonjoe's threads we have the answer, now we can all have a good nights sleep and not have to wake up to this this topic any more

This isn't about me. I don't currently use income letters and I have no current need to use the soon to come consular visit. But many people do and will.

On the dedicated thread about income letter timing there is still the matter of a third hand report saying an older letter wasn't accepted.

So I agree this is mostly settled and I have thought all along the rule hasn't changed, there still is at least a small bit of doubt about that.

Oh well!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I guess the "3 day" rule would also be useful for those that are travelling from other places. I only ever hear stories about the Immigration centers in Jomtien, Bangkok and (sometimes) Chiang Mai. Where do the people from ChaChoengSao and Prachinburi and Petchabun (for example) go to do their Immigration business ? If you live in Chantaburi can you do everything at the Ban Laem border or do you have to go somewhere else ? What about Maha Sarakham ? Long way to go to get to any border from there (or to Bangkok). 

There are immigration offices in most provinces now. Those that do not have one use the one in a neighboring province. All the ones you mentioned have a immigration office.

Some have two as well with one being a sub office of the main office.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

bank letter valiity jomtiem 3 days.

wbr roobaa01

Which is more than reasonable considering some offices require same day which is quite onerous. Jomtien has always been more liberal than same day in my experience and good on that. 

Please, just to satisfy my immigration paranoia:

I just did a quick 1 hour run across the border at Kanchanaburi into Myanmar to get my first Extension to Stay on the O-A visa on May 23 2018. I got stamped back with a May 22 2019 Admitted Until date in my passport and on the departure card.

I am leaving Thailand June 27 for two months back home.

My current 90 day report expires June 20, 2018.

My understanding is that for 90 reporting the FIRST (only) extension of stay serves as the start of a new 90 reporting period, therefore nullifying the June 20 date. Should I even take the risk of misinterpretation and just go to the IO before June 20?

Next, my understanding is that regardless of the above, when I return from home, a new 90 reporting period begins again. To me that means I perform my first report 90 days after the date of re-entering the Kingdom. I don't want to risk blowing the report due on June 20th.

Lastly, my understanding is that I must obtain a TM8 Application for Re-entry Permit from my local IO before I even go to the airport to leave for home. I believe I must have this to validate my new extension to stay when I return to the Kingdom.

I apologize for my nervous hand-wringing and wailing, but this stuff is confusing and I don't want to take any chance on airport immigration drama or loss of my retirement visa stay extensions in the future.

Thanks to all for indulging my paranoia with solid answers.

Again my eternal thanks to the regular gurus on these forums such as UbonJoe, JingThing, Tanoshi, and others.

On 6/6/2018 at 11:36 AM, RocketDog said:

My understanding is that for 90 reporting the FIRST (only) extension of stay serves as the start of a new 90 reporting period, therefore nullifying the June 20 date. Should I even take the risk of misinterpretation and just go to the IO before June 20?

As you technically "left the country", when you came back into Thailand on 23 May that would be the start of your next 90 Day period. (I assume you filled out a new Departure Card when you re-entered Thailand from Myanmar ?)

(Did you have a re-entry permit when you did that ?)

In any event, you can do the 90 Day report as early as a week before or as late as a week after the actual report date so leaving on the 27th of June would "stop the clock" any ways.

Next, my understanding is that regardless of the above, when I return from home, a new 90 reporting period begins again. To me that means I perform my first report 90 days after the date of re-entering the Kingdom. I don't want to risk blowing the report due on June 20th.

Yes. I have done this many times. Note the date you re-entered Thailand and add 90 days (not 3 months). When you go to do the next 90 Day Report, ensure that you inform the IO that you left the country and show him/her your new Departure Card so he/she can record the new barcode number.

Lastly, my understanding is that I must obtain a TM8 Application for Re-entry Permit from my local IO before I even go to the airport to leave for home. I believe I must have this to validate my new extension to stay when I return to the Kingdom.

You need that so that you don't void your Extension. If you do not have a Re-entry permit, your Extension/Visa would be voided and when you returned you'd have to start all over again (with a new Visa application, not a new Extension of Stay). Right from the beginning. As though you never held a Visa before (including all the money-seasoning requirements and so on).

A single use Re-Entry Permit costs 1,900 baht if I recall and I'd recommend getting it before going to the airport to save time and hassle (not even sure if you can get it at the airport). 

If you think you maybe be doing more than one Departure within the year (of your Extension validity) then a Multi Re-entry permit can be had for 3,800. 

• Thanks 1

Going in for mine next week.

A quick question.  I got a new passport and they put a hole in my old one.

I was also given a letter from the embassy requesting that everything relating to this is transferred to the new passport.

I will bring in both  passports of course.

My question is:  Is this embassy letter required?  If I just show up with my old and new passport will they automatically do it without the letter.

thanks

In case no one has seen the letter, I attached it.

PS: it is written very politely. ?

20180614_143155.jpg

I recall giving them that letter.

But I see another issue.

Why are you grouping those two things together?

The passport transfer and the retirement extension?

If I were you I wouldn't complicate it that way.

Go in first as a separate thing to do the transfer the new passport.

Then later for the extension.

It just seems cleaner that way.

You can't actually finish your application for the extension without doing the transfer first anyway.

Up to you of course.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I recall giving them that letter.

But I see another issue.

Why are you grouping those two things together?

The passport transfer and the retirement extension?

If I were you I wouldn't complicate it that way.

Go in first as a separate thing to do the transfer the new passport.

Then later for the extension.

It just seems cleaner that way.

You can't actually finish your application for the extension without doing the transfer first anyway.

Up to you of course.

Damn, great idea thanks.

Seems very reasonable to avoid some confusion.

Will do the transfer then a few days later the ext.

Super thanks again.

• Like 1

Just now, bkk6060 said:

Damn, great idea thanks.

Seems very reasonable to avoid some confusion.

Will do the transfer then a few days later the ext.

Super thanks again.

Yes and that transfer step is free and when I did it they were incredibly efficient doing it.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2018 at 2:52 PM, Jingthing said:

Yes and that transfer step is free and when I did it they were incredibly efficient doing it.

Went in yesterday to make the transfer.  Went in today at 1030 to pick it up.

20 minute wait yesterday no problem.  Today walked up to counter 8 immediate service.

There is a form and of course the embassy letter required.

A little odd there are now 6 stamps in my new passport taking up 2 pages.

The first one has the date on it when I first came to Thailand in 2009, that I came in on a plane, etc.

Anyway, will go back for my extension in a few days.

Thanks again great suggestion.

PS:  for anyone who cares make sure they put the multi-entry stamp in.

They did on mine but someone else was complaining they did not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Went in yesterday to make the transfer.  Went in today at 1030 to pick it up.

20 minute wait yesterday no problem.  Today walked up to counter 8 immediate service.

There is a form and of course the embassy letter required.

A little odd there are now 6 stamps in my new passport taking up 2 pages.

The first one has the date on it when I first came to Thailand in 2009, that I came in on a plane, etc.

Anyway, will go back for my extension in a few days.

Thanks again great suggestion.

PS:  for anyone who cares make sure they put the multi-entry stamp in.

They did on mine but someone else was complaining they did not.

I have had 2 transfers from old passport to new and never needed an Embassy letter I didn't have one... but you say here "of course it's required". How do you know that? Sometimes if you offer documents they don't require they take them anyway. Other Embassies don't offer that letter (eg. Philippines, Australia).

Edited by tropo

• 3 months later...

I am planing to get extension of stay(retirement) in Jomtien.

using the mixed method (pension with letter/affidavit from embassy) and  Thai-bank account)

my questions:

- proof that the money in Thai bank account is from abroad necessary? someone mentioned,, it is only necessary if you apply first for visa non-immigrant-O, which I will not  cause I got the visa  in home-country already

- how long does the money has to be in the Thai-account (I think normally 3month, first time 1month and if you use mixed method it doesnt have to be there before - but that is just the theory . I need to know what the office in Jomtien requires for

- how long  before my 3month visa will expire I should apply for the extension of stay(retirement)

As I think, each immigration has its own rules (!) , I would appreciate  to get to know what actual experiences people have with Jomtien immigration office concerning above questions.

3 hours ago, dieter1 said:

I am planing to get extension of stay(retirement) in Jomtien.

using the mixed method (pension with letter/affidavit from embassy) and  Thai-bank account)

my questions:

- proof that the money in Thai bank account is from abroad necessary? someone mentioned,, it is only necessary if you apply first for visa non-immigrant-O, which I will not  cause I got the visa  in home-country already

- how long does the money has to be in the Thai-account (I think normally 3month, first time 1month and if you use mixed method it doesnt have to be there before - but that is just the theory . I need to know what the office in Jomtien requires for

- how long  before my 3month visa will expire I should apply for the extension of stay(retirement)

As I think, each immigration has its own rules (!) , I would appreciate  to get to know what actual experiences people have with Jomtien immigration office concerning above questions.

Money doesn't need to come from abroad for extensions. If it did that would normally be coded in your bank passbook though there are reports that some transferwise deposits are not.  If it does show as a domestic import I suppose it would be advisable to have an explanation ready. Their general job for retirement extension applications includes sniffing out people that are illegally working in Thailand (they are police after all) and you are not legally allowed to work on retirement extensions. 

Money needs to be seasoned for 60 days for the first extension and three months for all subsequent extensions. The seasoning period is before the application date at immigration, not the expiration date of the current permission to stay.

Typically apply 30 days before the expiration date of your current permission to stay. Jomtien will probably allow 45 days early, but definitely 30.

As you're doing a combination method, bring along backup evidence for the income stated in your embassy document. Do NOT present that unless it is demanded. It probably won't be but you should bring it. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Money needs to be seasoned for 60 days for the first extension and three months for all subsequent extensions. The seasoning period is before the application date at immigration, not the expiration date of the current permission to stay.

:unsure:

He is asking for the mixed (combo) method, and AFAIK there is no seasoning in this case.

Seasoning is required only in the case of the 400/800 kB in the bank.

Edit: See Immigration requirements there:   (select ENG at top-right)

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

Edited by Pattaya46

3 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

:unsure:

He is asking for the mixed (combo) method, and AFAIK there is no seasoning in this case.

Seasoning is required only in the case of the 400/800 kB in the bank.

Edit: See Immigration requirements there:   (select ENG at top-right)

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_22

Good area to look at. 

Seasoning is not required based on those rules for combination applications.

HOWEVER, according to many reports here, in recent years, in actual practice, it appears that it is indeed being required at many (most?) offices regardless of the official rules.

I personally can't say for sure about Jomtien on that. CAN YOU?

Because of this definite pattern I feel it is the responsible thing to do to suggest seasoning for combination applications at ALL offices.

It's "probably" less likely to be enforced in cases where the bank account portion is very small. For example someone gets hit with an exchange rate change and adds a small bank account to bring the total up.

Edited by Jingthing

19 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It's "probably" less likely to be enforced in cases where the bank account portion is very small. For example someone gets hit with an exchange rate change and adds a small bank account to bring the total up.

That is what the combination option was meant for and why there is no requirement for it to be in the bank for any amount of time in the police order for extensions.

But people were abusing the option to avoid having the money in the bank for 3 months is why most immigration offices want it to be in the bank that long now.

Immigration should of rewritten the rule stating a minimum amount that had to be income to qualify for the combination option with money only being needed to be in the bank on the date of application.

• Thanks 1

ok- thanks for the advice so far. So to be on  the save side, it seems better to have the money in the bank for 60 days even when using the combination option.

There is no one having experience with the combi option in Jomtien ?

But I know,you never know whether this would a reliable strategy for the future ....