Urgent - UK style Meat Pie needed.

joe china

On a 24 hour trip from China to Hua Hin and back to China.

Urgently need to find a British style Meat Pie to take back for my 10 year old son.

Can anyone direct me. Went to the big tescos at Market Village and could not find any.

Sent from my SM-N9500 using Tapatalk

What kind of "Meat Pie", from which area of the UK, frozen, suet, Flakey tinned (Fray Bentos)  Baby's Heads steak and Kidney or fresh meat or fish etc etc etc. Make your own. It is very easy.  Google/Utube is your friend.

Or just be more specific!

Sorry for the lack of clarity...

I am a regular traveller in and out of China, no problem with a couple of pies.

Ideally looking for a Pukka Pie. But will go for anything similiar to a traditional fish and chip shop style pie. Prefer steak, steak and kidney. Chicken and mushroom even. Not pork pie

Not Frey Bentos.

Tried Google. Short on time.

Zero problem with cooked meat. Checked out the article and it is a bit wrong, read the comments and laughed when I read about the person who asked 'Can I bring a small electric stovetop to use for cooking?' something wrong there for sure.

The medication answer is totally wrong too.

Lived in China for 6 years and when ever I travel I always load up on essentials for the wife and kids. Ham, Bacon, sausages, houmous, steak. Even parsnips. Etc. So long as it personal consumption, they don't really give a hoot and they almost never stop us UK people.

I;d check you can actually take cooked meat to China first ! This would suggest not.
https://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/not-taken.htm

Not sure if Hua Hin is blessed with a Villa Market yet but there's a line of pies carried by Villa in Udon branded 'Max Snax' that come from Chiang Mai. They are the traditional hard round crust with indented flat top like a British chip shop would have and I think they are very good. Most of the local pie makers in Pattaya and Udon either use shortcrust or flaky pastry and I have yet to find any brand that does those well and often the pastry is sweetened which is OK for fruit pies but royally buggers up the steak and onion IMHO. The fillings can also be a hit or a miss with pale looking steak chunks and if the pastry is rubbish, then why bother?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe china said:

Ideally looking for a Pukka Pie.

I'm pretty sure I saw some frozen Pukka Pies in Villa, Hua Hin a few months back. Check out 'Villa Market' - it's near to the center of town.

The problem with Villa is they're not consistent with their restocking so chances are once they've sold out they might not get any more for months.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I saw some frozen Pukka Pies in Villa, Hua Hin a few months back. Check out 'Villa Market' - it's near to the center of town.

The problem with Villa is they're not consistent with their restocking so chances are once they've sold out they might not get any more for months.
Thanks. I shall put that on the regular place to shop when we finnally arrive full time next month.

Best quality:

3 Hua Hin Ham Bacon & Meat Company, 2/38 Soi 41 (Soi 41 is on the sea side of Phetkasem Rd), +66 32 513 144, e-mail: [email protected]. M-Sa, 08:00-18:00; Su, 09:00-17:00. British-run makers of hams, bacon, sausages, pies, burgers. Importers of beef, lamb, pork, fish, veg, grocery items. Their products are sold in many of the shops catering to Westerners in Hua Hin and beyond. Their spotless little shop sells all their meats and pies, as well as a good selection of British and continental foods ranging from pickled eggs to Bisto to olive oil. During holidays you can order cooked turkeys, hams, and other seasonal meats from them. (updated Dec 2016 | edit)

• Like 1

Just to report in that the pies and the cornish pasty made it safely to China.

My 10 year son ate the beef and onion pie straight away, just heated up for 15 minutes. Added no sauce or any description and gave it a 10 out of 10. Compared it to as good as any pie he had ever had.

We had the chicken and mushroom and the cornish pasty the next day. Absolutely fantastic.

These are certainly the best pies we have had outside the UK and the Cornish Pasty was on par with the best in the UK.

Thanks YorkshireTyke. Brilliant advice, Brilliant pies.

• Like 1

HH has a Villa mark.

They stock Sausage King products and Pies are one of the owners speciality.

http://sausagekingone.com/

His pies are UK North West style for he is a lad from Bolton the area where Pies where a Basic Necessity for the Mill workers.

john

Mill workers dinned at their machine, a young lad being sent out to local shops, in times gone bye.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When I browsed the internet for a new recipe I was attracted by this one http://verytasty.us/meat-pie/ so I decided to cook it. Even though a meat pie took quite a while of time to cook you never regret it. The meat pie is a dish with calories enough to live you feel full for a long time. You can serve it both for lunch and supper. My younger son said that filling of the pie is so delicious, he never tried it before.

• Like 1