Stop entrapping and raiding sex workers: advocates

snoop1130

Stop entrapping and raiding sex workers: advocates

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

IMG_20180601_124205-696x522.jpg

Activists at Friday's event.

BANGKOK — When cops pose as customers to entrap sex workers to rescue trafficked women and girls, they violate the rights of many more sex workers who get caught up in their raids, an advocacy group said Friday.

The Empower Foundation said that for every trafficked minor rescued from the trade, 10 or more voluntary sex workers above the age of 18 have had their lives turned upside down. Citing examples in which police have relied on entrapment, foundation representatives said women end up being held incommunicado as potential witnesses for weeks in detention-like facilities.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2018/06/01/stop-entrapping-and-raiding-sex-workers-advocates/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-06-01
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

"... women end up being held incommunicado as potential witnesses for weeks in detention-like facilities."

sort of like human trafficking.

And never mind that the (supposed) purpose is to find and release underage girls.

Posting as a drug buyer or as a john is not entrapment.  It is commonly known as a sting operation which in all countries isquite legal.  In order to arrest someone you have to prove that they have committed a crime.  How else are you supposed to do it.  

The out is that smart girls ask if you are a cop then negotiate.  If you are you have to tell them.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Really?

I think it is rather disgusting to lock women up that didn't do anything wrong.

Of course getting an underaged girl out of the business is a good thing, but upsetting ten lives?

Yes ,really think about it. save one life,while 10 others maybe inconvenienced ,

the trafficked child never asked to be exploited,while the others doing a job by

choice,and all that entails.

regards worgeordie

Police entrapment is unfortunately very common here as darksidedog says above. The cops have their routine and they don't have to prove much. Justice listens to the cops. Many innocents are spending years in prison because of police fabrications.

Thai people and their families endure unbelievable hardships because of police like this. It's pathetic. 

Without the 'extraordinary benefits' usually paid after entrapping and raiding, many cops would have to turn to sustainable agriculture to make a living.

Btw. I wonder if it is a coincidence or sarcasm to see the ad banner on this page saying:

The Executive Wallet - Your business essentials in a slim leather case

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

When cops pose as customers to entrap sex workers

For evidence the cops probably reveal their identity after the act. Kind of free sex as part of their duty. Such noble dedication to their work.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Yes ,really think about it. save one life,while 10 others maybe inconvenienced ,

the trafficked child never asked to be exploited,while the others doing a job by

choice,and all that entails.

regards worgeordie

Couldn't they raid the place, free the underage child and leave the rest of the workers alone (apart from the ones who brought her there)?

I think being held in police detention for several months is more than an inconvenience.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nahkit said:

Couldn't they raid the place, free the underage child and leave the rest of the workers alone (apart from the ones who brought her there)?

I think being held in police detention for several months is more than an inconvenience.

It says weeks,not months,they need them for witnesses,I suspect if they released

them they would never be seen again.and the cases against the human traffickers

would be dropped.,would you condone that.

regards Worgeordie

2 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I know Thailand considers "face" important, but acknowledging reality and legalising prostitution here would make a lot of these issues go away. As the full article states there are hundreds of thousands employed in the sex industry, most of whom would benefit from working in an industry properly governed and regulated, and not having to live in fear of every policeman out there.

And how about strictly enforcing the law? 

If prostitution was illegal the law should be enforced strictly on all actors, from all levels of providers to the clients. If they started detaining, maybe only a few hundred sex tourists, they'd get acclaim from all western countries, and the Farang branch of the industry would die instantly.

Of course this would leave the huge local industry, but similar measures could probably be envisaged. For "face" minded people like Thai males having their pictures posted on Internet could have leverage. Chicago police did just that some years ago...

I have done my share of mongering too, here and elsewhere but believe me knowing I am breaking the law would be enough to "stop" me. And I am going to have a prostate operation soon, anyway...

1 hour ago, 300sd said:

Police entrapment is unfortunately very common here as darksidedog says above. The cops have their routine and they don't have to prove much. Justice listens to the cops. Many innocents are spending years in prison because of police fabrications.

Thai people and their families endure unbelievable hardships because of police like this. It's pathetic. 

Are there records of such injustice?

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I don't think any legal-aged, Thai girls were actually charged with "prostitution".  

Not to mention, AFAIK, the authorities have still never located and arrested the supposed husband and wife owners of the Victoria place. So they're still out there somewhere, not surprisingly.

23 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

It says weeks,not months,they need them for witnesses,I suspect if they released

them they would never be seen again.and the cases against the human traffickers

would be dropped.,would you condone that.

regards Worgeordie

If police lock up witnesses then they have great control over them. Don't think that is good.

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Better to have 10 voluntary sex workers lives turned upside down,

than not find  one under age ,maybe trafficked child.

regards worgeordie

If it were fully legalised, they would be better able to control the age of workers. 

It's their body, if they are over 18, it's up to them. 

My body my choice.