Cobra Swamp Is Reclaiming Bangkok's Showpiece Airport

george

Sumet Jumsai, one of Thailand’s top architects, however, insists that the airport would have collapsed — corruption or not. Fifteen years ago he had fought against its location on a swamp. “Nature is now taking its toll in this swamp, and I feel everyone has got it wrong in the ongoing investigation,” he said. “The bottom line is that with or without corruption the runways and any structure not on piles will be subject to differential settlement and cracks.”

You do not need to be a brain surgeon to realise that concrete and steel do not float very well.

:D:D:D:o

but supertankers are made of steel and there's been concrete hulled vessels way before Don Muang was ever invented... but you do make a point. did they truly lay the new airport without ANY pilings ??? surely not

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though it's easy now to throw scorn at the airport, I'd like to mention a few other perspectives;

1. I was a general contractor in California. Granted worked on far smaller gigs, but I know how if one thing on one job goes awry, then all of a sudden a bunch of inspectors and non-professionals seem to show up to probe every nook and cranny looking for the slightest problem - whether real or imagined.

2. It may have been partly the contractors who are at fault, if it's true they did a sub-standard job (construction and materials) - but I feel in the big picture the blame lays more on the planners - and no one's going to made to pay for faulty planning that took place decades ago.

3. For comparison, Dubai (and other members of United Arab Emirates in the Persian Gulf), are building several multi-billion dollar residential complexes on sand fill that are inches above sea level. .....go figure where that will be at in a decade.

maybe not so much the planners but the implementation of the plan, there is obviously a foundation problem at this site, I'll guess that when the foundation was supposed to be 60ft deep and constructed of certain materials it ended up 10ft deep with the materials in someones pocket, it seems now the whole site is about to submerge

only in thailand

This is very disturbing news. We have enough safety issues to worry about. Possible hijacking of plane; mechanical/electronic malfunction; mid-air collision; blown tyres on landing; air-traffic control errors; pilot error; freak storm conditions, and now, possible cracks on the landing strip.

I don't think I can take it. I'm quivering in my boots.

Sumet Jumsai, one of Thailand's top architects, however, insists that the airport would have collapsed — corruption or not. Fifteen years ago he had fought against its location on a swamp. "Nature is now taking its toll in this swamp, and I feel everyone has got it wrong in the ongoing investigation," he said. "The bottom line is that with or without corruption the runways and any structure not on piles will be subject to differential settlement and cracks."

Almost everything here is still based on the feudal system/principle of "sacred Thai soil"... (collective conscience, wealth and power and discrimination).

And people built an airport on a cobra swamp?! Hahahahaha!

(But what is the story behind the acquisition of this land?? Was it the cheapest plot on offer?? Probably)

opened by Thaksin before he was ousted????????????????????????///

Are there any fact checkers for this rag?

Don' t you remember that day nearly 2 years ago when they spent millions of baht flying tons of equipment from Don Muang to Cobra Swamp for one day so that Thaksin could fly into the new airport???

opened by Thaksin before he was ousted????????????????????????///

Are there any fact checkers for this rag?

Perhaps they were referencing the "soft opening" of the airport by the Cerebral One last July. His prophecies at the time, however, missed the mark by just a smidgen:

PM applauds success of symbolic flight

Published on Jul 30, 2006, The Nation

Caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra joined the crowds in applauding the successful touchdown of the first commercial flight to Suvarnabhumi Airport when Thai Airways International (THAI)'s jet landed at the new airport yesterday morning.

Six Thai carriers - Bangkok Airways, Thai AirAsia, Orient Thai Airways, Nok Air, PB Air and THAI - flew a combined 20 domestic flights in and out of the new airport yesterday.

Asked if that would be in September, an AOT official said: "We hope so." :D Next he displayed the slogan on his T-shirt, a uniform all AOT officials wore yesterday. It said: "We can do". :o

The test of commercial flights was designed to put to rest concerns over the readiness of the Bt155-billion airport. Thaksin said it should be ready for commercial operations on September 28. "The remaining problems are minor, and they should not be an obstacle to opening the new airport," he said. :D

Anyone remember that Japan built a major international airport (Kansai) on the wide open ocean??? What's the problem with a local swamp?

Insider tip:

I know. I have Thai university engineering students who live all around me. They party 24/7.... :o

And make sure that there are enough qualified air traffic controllers available to cover both operations safely.

That really worries me. Considered the thai attitude towards safety plus the bad English of some of the pilots and the Thinglish of the guys in the tower is a disaster in waiting. But whatever they do, it will remain a f***** up situation for quite some time to come.

Unless of course they do the only right thing to do and go back to DM completely. IMHO

Don't overdue the worrying. Thai airtraffic safety has nothing to do with the technical and or construction problems found at the new airport. And not only Thai airtraffic officers and not only Thai pilots have an accent when speaking English. I don't want to go into details or guesses which nation's english will probably be the worst and ununderstandable, but I'm quite sure is not Thinglish.

Well said, that man! Pilots I have spoken to have told me Thai ATC is as good as anywhere else in the world, better, in fact than many other countries.

And make sure that there are enough qualified air traffic controllers available to cover both operations safely.

That really worries me. Considered the thai attitude towards safety plus the bad English of some of the pilots and the Thinglish of the guys in the tower is a disaster in waiting. But whatever they do, it will remain a f***** up situation for quite some time to come.

Unless of course they do the only right thing to do and go back to DM completely. IMHO

Don't overdue the worrying. Thai airtraffic safety has nothing to do with the technical and or construction problems found at the new airport. And not only Thai airtraffic officers and not only Thai pilots have an accent when speaking English. I don't want to go into details or guesses which nation's english will probably be the worst and ununderstandable, but I'm quite sure is not Thinglish.

Well said, that man! Pilots I have spoken to have told me Thai ATC is as good as anywhere else in the world, better, in fact than many other countries.

Thai ATC is fine. Myanamr ATC is another matter though.

Anyone know which part of DM will be re-opened. The domestic terminal I assume. I'd also move the freighter traffic back to DM. Every little hepls.

Cobra swamp was one of the most beautiful places in Thailand. It had 150 species of birds, 200 species of shrimp crab and clams. My wife’s family used to trap and catch rabbits, and cobras for skins they were the main stay of the family unit. Now our family has been fragmented by the corruption that paid them to move to Min Bury. While you may not agree with taking wild life as a business, you may note on your descent that now ALL that is near gone. Cobras while they keep in check rats and the like are a very good source of income for poor folks who want to work and not beg on Sukhumvit. Any way for the record Swamp rabbit is better than any chicken even if they say it taste the same as chicken... (not!! Chicken stinks when cooked the eggs are ok for me though.. ;_>

OH well global warming will reclaim most of Bangkok anyway in near to 50 years. So let us build a spaceport on MT. Everest..... we will need it in 100 years to find some place else to live.

That part is the gist of the reality.

And should you stomach the truth, nobody gives a hoot any way, which is the whole of that new airport ....nothing more than the worst of human kind and that is nothing more than............... GREED!

Keep your hands off of my stack!

A no good beginning will end in no good 100% of the time.

Duh my 2 cents.. :o

Sun Sailor gets my vote for the funniest post here!

Maybe Singapore would like to buy the Airport?

Where is Thaksin when we need him! :D

Perhaps a touch of Karma? All the new visa restrictions, throwing out the teachers and a general rejection of everything farang - now the pride of Thailand is proving to be a shambles!

You wouldn't catch me in the tallest control tower in the world - not for any money :o

But, think about the new tourist attraction - the Italians make a fortune out of their leaning tower... :D

If the new runways won't stand up under the loads imposed by the heavy longhauls, they will have to move those back to Don Muang. Maybe Cobra Swamp will be OK as a domestic airpoprt for the smaller 'feeder' aircraft.

This is an embarrassment for this generation of international constructors, not just Thai.

When they look round the world and see how the constructions of their greatgrandfathers, and earlier generations, have stood the test of time, it may induce a bit of much-needed humility.

THAI Airways International President calls on media to be careful with news about Suvarnabhumi Airport’s problems

President of the Thai Airways International PCL. (THAI) and Vice Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS), ACM.Chalit Pukphasuk (ชลิต พุกผาสุก) called on the media to be careful when covering news about problems of the Suvarnabhumi Airport. ACM.Chalit said he is afraid that destructive news stories about the airport might exaggerate the problems and rock confidence of foreigners.

However, ACM.Chalit voiced disagreement with the suggestion to close the airport as he viewed that damages of the airport are not beyond repair. He added that the government has separated the corruption from technical problems of the airport.

As for the re-opening of Don Muang Airport, THAI president said that the company is considering the matter and it is ready to abide by decision of the Ministry of Transport.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 February 2007

THAI Airways International President calls on media to be careful with news about Suvarnabhumi Airport’s problems

President of the Thai Airways International PCL. (THAI) and Vice Chairman of the Council for National Security (CNS), ACM.Chalit Pukphasuk (ชลิต พุกผาสุก) called on the media to be careful when covering news about problems of the Suvarnabhumi Airport. ACM.Chalit said he is afraid that destructive news stories about the airport might exaggerate the problems and rock confidence of foreigners.

However, ACM.Chalit voiced disagreement with the suggestion to close the airport as he viewed that damages of the airport are not beyond repair. He added that the government has separated the corruption from technical problems of the airport.

As for the re-opening of Don Muang Airport, THAI president said that the company is considering the matter and it is ready to abide by decision of the Ministry of Transport.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 February 2007

Looking at the front page photo in today’s Bangkok post of a water filled hole of the taxiway. With the caption “Drilling is under way to find the cause of taxiway subsidence at Suvarnabhumi airport.” I cant help but thinking the last time I was walking down a beach and observing my feet sinking into the wet sand with every step. I wonder how deep into the water they will drill?

Looking at the front page photo in today’s Bangkok post of a water filled hole of the taxiway. With the caption “Drilling is under way to find the cause of taxiway subsidence at Suvarnabhumi airport.” I cant help but thinking the last time I was walking down a beach and observing my feet sinking into the wet sand with every step. I wonder how deep into the water they will drill?

020207_front.jpg

Bangkok Post

:o

The military junta must be biting their shiny metal asses right now...

If they simply would have waited a few months for the Airport to sink into the swamp, there would not have been a reason

to launch that Mickey Mouse Coup and shove Thailand with weekly new nonsense announcement deeper into the shit.

The people of Thailand would have been happy to throw Taksin into the first hole on the runway.

AMAZING THAILAND!

Can anybody take this country how it is now serious?

Edited by birago23

i had no problems with the new airport, i i think it rocks, the old airport sucks, they can fix these problems in 6 months or less if the money is there.

The money, the will, someone to accept responsibility, someone to check the contracts, someone to operate the wheelbarrow used to get the money o the bank.

Yes 6 months is technically possible, but not very probable.

i had no problems with the new airport, i i think it rocks, the old airport sucks, they can fix these problems in 6 months or less if the money is there.

The money, the will, someone to accept responsibility, someone to check the contracts, someone to operate the wheelbarrow used to get the money o the bank.

Yes 6 months is technically possible, but not very probable.

I think the 3 year estimate quoted is far more realistic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1114474

New AOT Managing Director begins work, aims to bring positive spin back to Suvarnabhumi

The newly appointed Managing Director of the Airport of Thailand company is ready to conduct her duties, especially in correcting problems at Suvarnabhumi in order to bring back the airport's positive image.

The new Managing Director of the Airport of Thailand company, Mrs. Kalaya Paghakrong (กัลยา ผกากรอง), commented on her reaction towards assuming the post. Mrs. Kalaya said that she felt the job to be challenging, and was proud to have the opportunity to take on such responsibilities. The Managing Director is confident that she would achieve good rapport with fellow employees due to her 25 years of experience working at AOT. Mrs. Kalaya also laid out her problem solving strategy which consists of the belief that all problems could be solved.

The AOT Managing Director said that the first problem to be tackled would be the runway and taxiway fractures, and added that airport operations would continue with only some portions Suvarnabhumi closed off. Mrs. Kalaya said that other airport problems would also be addressed promptly in order to bring back the positive image of the airport.

The AOT Managing Director also voiced her agreement to the relocation of domestic flight operations back to Don Muang Airport.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 February 2007

What they need to do is bring in engineering consultants from outside Thailand who have no need to save face or anything else that's incompatible with engineering, and get a true picture of what needs to be done to prevent the new airport from becoming an even bigger white elephant.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard that the engineers were a Japanese consortium?

It's Japanese - Thai consortium of Italian-Thai, Obayashi and Takenaka, the latter two probably Japane's largest and most reputable general contractors. The consulting company contracted to overlook project management and implementation is also a Japanese company called Pacific Consultants International, but there might have been more than one consultants hired to do that job.

http://www.pci-world.com/en/service/airport.html

Suvanabhumi is a project financed 55% by Japan Bank of International Cooperation, Japanese government's aid agency. The above mentioned JV might have been awarded a contract for only the terminal and concourse buildings but I've read in Bangkok Post a few weeks ago Obayashi was quistioned by AOT for cracks on runways.

Edited by Nordlys