Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Can you get a Pad Thai for less than 2 euro?

You have to give and take my friend. Can not get both. Im sure you can get a Kebab for two euro ???? and a pizza for 3. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

In the shop if you make food yourselves, beef and fish is not that expensive compare to Thailand. You get cod and other cold water fish quite cheeper than Thailand, and local fish, is not that expensive. Vegetables is expensive, but affordable, not to mention sousages and cheese heaven + free aircon outside at this time of the year. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You have to give and take my friend. Can not get both. Im sure you can get a Kebab for two euro ???? and a pizza for 3. 

Exactly, so no point bragging about how cheap the Spanish wine is.

Just now, Hummin said:

In the shop if you make food yourselves, beef and fish is not that expensive compare to Thailand. You get cod and other cold water fish quite cheeper than Thailand, and local fish, is not that expensive. Vegetables is expensive, but affordable, not to mention sousages and cheese heaven + free aircon outside at this time of the year. 

Why are you comparing prices elsewhere to Thailand? The subject is the price of wine here.

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Good Question. 

How can you tell wine is expensive in Thailand if you do not compare? 

Pretty easy, falangs aren't born in Thailand, they come from countries where the wine is cheaper. Otherwise there would be no feedback to this topic. Also, it's about the massive increases in the price of wine here.

Edited by giddyup

11 hours ago, fforest1 said:

In my opinion Laughing Bird dry red 1.5 liter is one of the better cheap wines... it use to be 320 baht now 480 baht not a good deal but better than many wines that are even a worse deal....

And that equals 640/2 liter. Another good red wine (in this class) from Australia : Red Sun, that that was 300/2liter, has suspiciously disappeared from the supermarkets in Pattaya. So "they" are really putting the squeeze on red wine "tax" and availability for the primary consumers of this product.* No question mark required.

15 minutes ago, morrobay said:

And that equals 640/2 liter. Another good red wine (in this class) from Australia : Red Sun, that that was 300/2liter, has suspiciously disappeared from the supermarkets in Pattaya. So "they" are really putting the squeeze on red wine "tax" and availability for the primary consumers of this product.* No question mark required.

Agree 100%...

2 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

I have just stopped buying red wine locally and I believe others are the same when I see the same levels of stock not moving. I hope the crook who pushed the prices up hurts.  Extortion is the only word that can be used here.

How much did you pay it before ? 300 thb ?

So MANY wines are still sold 300 or even less, so it's just a stupid reason, but if you decide to stop drinking any alcohol, this is of course a smart decision.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

This price increase was actually BS, I can still find acceptable wine for 300 thb, just not the same previous brands sold 300 thb.

But on the 2 liter subject your 300baht/.75liter equals: 2/.75 =2.66 x 300baht = 800/2 liter. And the 2liter prices have about doubled. I refuse to pay for a .75 bottle of red wine what I used to get at Trader Joe's for  $3. Any way after 1 or 2 glasses out of 4 pretty much the same between the .75's and 2's

Edited by morrobay
Add
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

How much did you pay it before ? 300 thb ?

So MANY wines are still sold 300 or even less, so it's just a stupid reason, but if you decide to stop drinking any alcohol, this is of course a smart decision.

Check the label thoroughly, it will have somewhere where fruit juices have been added. I am ex Aussie and know Aussie prices. To buy in Australia a average drinking REAL red wine you are looking at $15 a bottle ( 750ml). Stuff at 300 baht a litre is putrefied with fruit juices such as apple or pine apple juice so its not real wine. Yes its cheaper, and your hangover takes longer to arrive. It will take a lot more of this cheap wine before you are drunk, bit like putting ice in your beer.  I travel alot so buy overseas " real wine" and you can easily smell and taste the difference. Good luck. I stopped buying when cask wine jumped from 500 baht to 1000 baht, I now see they have pushed it to 1500 baht what a joke.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, fforest1 said:

In my opinion Laughing Bird dry red 1.5 liter is one of the better cheap wines... it use to be 320 baht now 480 baht not a good deal but better than many wines that are even a worse deal....

All well and good if you are ok with a "fruit wine" and all of those quoted here at around 300 baht a bottle/litre have fruit juice added.

The cheapest "real wine" that I have seen here is in Tesco and it is from Oz and priced at around 349b a bottle.........won't set your taste buds alight but is an ok "swigger".

I can still buy wine at 390 baht a bottle in a local "ma and pa" store here and one of my favourites is an Aussie wine, Hopes End, priced here at 440b a bottle, so absolutely no need to go the fruit wine route.......and anyway don't like the ensuing hangover.

3 hours ago, 1337markus said:
3 hours ago, 1337markus said:

Yes its cheaper, and your hangover takes longer to arrive. It will take a lot more of this cheap wine before you are drunk, bit like putting ice in your beer.  

?  Pure red wine at 12% and fruit red wine at 12%  =  same alcohol affect. By the way not looking to get "drunk" just relax !  So about 4 glasses.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 7:51 PM, fforest1 said:

Was just at Friendship market : Laughing Bird 1.5 liter is now 585 baht. <deleted> is going on here ???? 

On 12/3/2018 at 8:20 AM, 1337markus said:

I have just stopped buying red wine locally and I believe others are the same when I see the same levels of stock not moving. I hope the crook who pushed the prices up hurts.  Extortion is the only word that can be used here.

Yes extortion. When a drinkable bottle of wine costs more than a bottle of scotch its time to change your drink. DONT buy it and the price will eventually come down to a level where its salable.