Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

5 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

Wow.................Looks like washing detergent or fabric softener.......:-)   MS>

Any wine look better in one of these ? 

24D75F40-18AC-477B-8539-53915E6BB858.jpeg

On the other hand, we where at the winery outside Hua Hin, and we really enjoyed the tour and some of the wines. Their prices was reasonable as well. Thumbs up for Thai wine, I guess in few decades, they will provide high quality wine. 

Edited by Hummin

1 hour ago, Monkie Business said:

Its still a shock to see the new version ?

1qhToKu.jpg

0GGkhHa.jpg

It seems there may be a lot of people going to give up and not buy this type of wine any more , me included ?

I know we can't talk about home made wine here , so can any one pass on their thoughts / ideas / how to's via a PM please .

Jeez, haven't seen these in Big C here YET, but suppose they could be on the way...……...and look like they contain 2L of chateau collapso, rather than the 3 and 5L boxes/casks.

Perhaps trying a bit of "price positioning" so an easier comparison to other real wines and seemingly "better value", but not for wine lovers IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Wow.................Looks like washing detergent or fabric softener.......:-)   MS>

LOL. Yeah. I'll just pay the extra and have it in a nice bottle.

15 minutes ago, moonseeker said:

Could you please give us some names of good local reds. Thank you very much. MS>

You can investigate here, and see if you find any interesting. I was there for dinner, and winetasting, and I have not yet bought any bottles from them, just as said tasting, and it was not bad at all. 

When I want a bottle of wine, I go and buy, and do not think about the price, more like what food, and with who ? 

https://www.monsoonvalley.com/en/articles/_news-blog-list/monsoon_worldbranding2017

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hummin said:

You can investigate here, and see if you find any interesting. I was there for dinner, and winetasting, and I have not yet bought any bottles from them, just as said tasting, and it was not bad at all. 

When I want a bottle of wine, I go and buy, and do not think about the price, more like what food, and with who ? 

https://www.monsoonvalley.com/en/articles/_news-blog-list/monsoon_worldbranding2017

Been to the vineyard, tasted the wines and the best that I could say about them would be that they are poor to ok, but then you can pay a premium for them so why bother??

Just spotted a Chilean Los Tilos in Big C for 424 baht a bottle...……...has to be a better buy than the Monsoon wines priced above that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

They are importing some real garbage now, probably to try and compensate for the tax hikes. I just bought a 2 litre bottle of Moldino (never seen it before) red from Italy, that looks almost like a rose from the colour, but tastes like paint stripper. It was still 570 baht, but that will be the last crap wine I buy. I will buy a decent Australian red one or two times a month rather than this rubbish.

A good Aussie red for 440 baht has to be a good buy...…………...

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

What brand is that?

Hopes End from Angoves…………….a blend of Shiraz, Grenache and Malbec, buy from a smaller store if poss as Villa Market have it at 519b or thereabouts, but from smaller s/market 440 to 460 b a bottle and a good drop.

• Like 1

Just now, xylophone said:

Hopes End from Angoves…………….a blend of Shiraz, Grenache and Malbec, buy from a smaller store if poss as Villa Market have it at 519b or thereabouts, but from smaller s/market 440 to 460 b a bottle and a good drop.

thanks, will keep an eye open.

• 1 month later...

I have noticed MontClair has started to use these 2 liter bags for their wine....I guess it must be cheaper than bottles?

They were priced at about 680 baht.....680 baht for wine does not seem to crazy except just 6 months ago they were selling boxes of 5 liters for 1000 baht.....The new container and seeming low price is just a trick for idiots who dont know how to add...lol

MC_POUCH_RED-648x700px.png

58 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I have noticed MontClair has started to use these 2 liter bags for their wine....I guess it must be cheaper than bottles?

They were priced at about 680 baht.....680 baht for wine does not seem to crazy except just 6 months ago they were selling boxes of 5 liters for 1000 baht.....The new container and seeming low price is just a trick for idiots who dont know how to add...lol

MC_POUCH_RED-648x700px.png

I bought a two-litre bottle today for 594 in Big C.

• Sad 1

it'd be true idiot tax for those that don't know how to add only if they're still selling the 5 litre box, 

If the 2 litre bottle is still available, get it while it last

the new bag is because of the higher 'final sale' price attracts higher tax, anything beyond 1000 baht is almost unprofitable for low end stuff hence the move away from the 2 litre bottles or 4-5 litre box.

10 hours ago, digbeth said:

it'd be true idiot tax for those that don't know how to add only if they're still selling the 5 litre box, 

If the 2 litre bottle is still available, get it while it last

the new bag is because of the higher 'final sale' price attracts higher tax, anything beyond 1000 baht is almost unprofitable for low end stuff hence the move away from the 2 litre bottles or 4-5 litre box.

And the lower alcohol content.

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There'a new kid on the block (at least for me), and that's a 2 litre Berri Estate red for around 700 baht. One of the best cheap reds I've tried.

Well Laughing Bird is ok for a dry red....For those of us who value a cheap price over quality the choices get worse all the time....

27 minutes ago, giddyup said:

There'a new kid on the block (at least for me), and that's a 2 litre Berri Estate red for around 700 baht. One of the best cheap reds I've tried.

Yes agree though it has been missing for a while...……….if I had to drink a fruit wine then this would be top of the list.

Poss slightly better than Laughing Bird or on a par.

Edited by xylophone

Oh !!! you poor souls still living there. We are back in UK for good. I reckon our food and wine bill is only about half what it was over there. Best prices in Morrison or Asda for 6 bottles of drinkable wines are in the $4.50 to £5 range since the Brexit vote killed the exchange rate.

hopefully the £ will be on the up when we get rid of that bloated Public Sector invention in Brussels.

• Like 1

Well, make it  a little "cheaper" than a bottle.... I guess most of these brand are looking for new formula, new  contenant in hope to take back some market share.

I think we have to wait  few month to see how situation will evolve.

Well , my Moobaan drinking water is okay and next family membre coming around from France will have some duty to "save" me with some Bergerac red. ?