Another price increase for wine, it's getting silly now.

giddyup

22 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Made from grain

Yes, rice is a grain. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain

Just to shed some light into why rice moonshine and rice in beer is bad, the grain is usually malted ( letting it germinate ) to make releasing the sugar out of the grain easier. Barley, wheat, etc are easier to break into sugars than rice, which leaves all sorts of nasty stuff in the sugar wort. Those off tastes don't go away with just a single distillation, if ever. So you get the all time classics of lau khao, most Thai beers that taste like piss from someone with a kidney disease (so I've heard), etc.

Edited by DrTuner
Halfarsed description of making alcohol

1 hour ago, jumbo said:

Chose to purchase some nice Cotes du Rhone, two bottles, same price in total but at least something to enjoy instead of the Nam Khlong..

Nice choice jumbo and also for me it is all about enjoying my wine, that's why I don't buy the fruit juice/cask stuff, and I can still buy a nice wine to enjoy at about 440 baht a bottle, so I do. 

Cannot see the point of making up all sorts of concoctions based on the fruit wine stuff, by adding more alcohol to it...…….and as others have said, making one's own wine is a possibility (surreptitiously of course!).

About a year ago I tested out a few of the cheap Thai vodkas ....I am not a picky drinker but let me tell you that thoes cheap Thai Vodkas were absolutely horrid....Please do not spend even one baht on this garbage......

Gilbeys vodka I found to be ok for drinking and ok priced..About half the price of Absolute Vodka...

But finding cheap wine is getting more and more hard all the time...If the rapid tax increases dont stop they will be charging 500-750 baht a liter for even the cheapest wine...

Edited by fforest1

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

About a year ago I tested out a few of the cheap Thai vodkas ....I am not a picky drinker but let me tell you that thoes cheap Thai Vodkas were absolutely horrid....Please do not spend even one baht on this garbage......

Gilbeys vodka I found to be ok for drinking and ok priced..About half the price of Absolute Vodka...

But finding cheap wine is getting more and more hard all the time...If the rapid tax increases dont stop they will be charging 500-750 baht a liter for even the cheapest wine...

cheap is still relatively easy to find, it is in the word wine where you go wrong ? 

2 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Prayut needs to raise the money for the Subs and as very few Thais drink wine it's fair game.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BobBKK said:

Prayut needs to raise the money for the Subs and as very few Thais drink wine it's fair game. 

The problem is a lot of farangs will stop drinking wine at these prices, or cut back, so he could end up with less tax revenues. They must have sold a shed load of Mont Clair previously but i doubt anyone buys it now.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Could it be that the producers of cheap alcohol and beer (cheap in 2 senses) have more influence on the Thai government than the importers of wine?

Interesting thought, but then the owner of Siam Winery group (Montclair, Mar Y Sol, etc) is a very rich and powerful man so surely he would want (could influence) his pricing to stay low, but the laws have affected his group as well, as the price increases for his fruit wine have shown?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Interesting thought, but then the owner of Siam Winery group (Montclair, Mar Y Sol, etc) is a very rich and powerful man so surely he would want (could influence) his pricing to stay low, but the laws have affected his group as well, as the price increases for his fruit wine have shown?

Maybe he is linked to the Boogeyeman from Dubai? 555

Or as a poster said, it is a foreigner tax - more subtle than double pricing?

Or maybe we should stop looking for logic? It could be caused by an top official that doesn't like the taste of wine?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Maybe he is linked to the Boogeyeman from Dubai? 555

Or as a poster said, it is a foreigner tax - more subtle than double pricing?

Or maybe we should stop looking for logic? It could be caused by an top official that doesn't like the taste of wine?

The elephant in the room not many are talking about are the already planned wine/alcohol tax increases in the 20 year plan....Yes wine is very over priced now but there is a whole lot more tax pain coming in the future......I could see wine sales in Thailand just falling off a cliff and store left with piles of unsold wine if the tax greed does not stop.....

13 minutes ago, morrobay said:

You have a reference on this ongoing conspiracy ? 

Under the current alcohol tax regime, to be replaced, beer and wine is taxed between B300 and B2,000 per litre of pure alcohol. Under the new regime, the ceiling for the next 20 years has been set at B3,000 per litre of pure alcohol.

Similarly, spirits is currently taxed at B400 per litre of pure alcohol, but the next tax structure will see that rise to B1,000 per litre of pure alcohol over the next two decades.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/new-booze-tax-to-be-served-in-even-measures-61444.php#i2H0EEhkxvZrEC7L.99
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, morrobay said:

You have a reference on this ongoing conspiracy ? 

Well I guess Thai Visa is in on the conspiracy because there were plenty of posts on here about the 20 year plan a while back when they had the last tax increase.....I am to lazy to dig them up myself...

Conspiracy  or  gouging  apart... I was  very recently  in a  non  mainstream general wholesale outlet which has  its  own  separate alcohol and associated beverages section.

A new  display  rack  feature a  range of   genuine wine priced  between  Bht289 to  Bht390 for a  std  bottle. 

I was in a  hurry so only had  time  to take a quick look at the  labels. Cab Sav  and  Cab Sav Shiraz  blend. I did  not see but  had the impression  it  was  Australian. Can't remember more than  that. I was surprised  to see in a rural small town outlet  that previously only stocked Thai  product. I  do intend  to  go  back and will  try  at least one.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Conspiracy  or  gouging  apart... I was  very recently  in a  non  mainstream general wholesale outlet which has  its  own  separate alcohol and associated beverages section.

A new  display  rack  feature a  range of   genuine wine priced  between  Bht289 to  Bht390 for a  std  bottle. 

I was in a  hurry so only had  time  to take a quick look at the  labels. Cab Sav  and  Cab Sav Shiraz  blend. I did  not see but  had the impression  it  was  Australian. Can't remember more than  that. I was surprised  to see in a rural small town outlet  that previously only stocked Thai  product. I  do intend  to  go  back and will  try  at least one.

Interesting post because I have found a similar thing in a small "mini-market" here where I can buy Aussie and Chilean wine for between 365 and 440 baht a bottle, so that store along with a couple of wholesalers who only supply to the trade (and me as a favour) get my business, and am currently enjoying a lovely fruit driven, soft tannin, 2015 Aussie Shiraz at 417 baht a bottle...……….my "go to wine" at the moment.

PS. Will be interested to hear what you find on your next visit.

3 minutes ago, xylophone said:

currently enjoying a lovely fruit driven, soft tannin, 2015 Aussie Shiraz at 417 baht a bottle...……….my "go to wine" at the moment.

Gnashing of teeth, eyes blazing with envy...........being on an island you are supposed to have less selection not more! :bah:

Enjoy :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, topt said:

Gnashing of teeth, eyes blazing with envy...........being on an island you are supposed to have less selection not more! :bah:

Enjoy :thumbsup:

I know you like your wine topt so give these a call/email as I think they will ship to Pattaya...……my go-to Shiraz is called Richmond Ridge and although it is from the bulk wine area of SE Australia, it is a very good buy for a well made wine.

Wine by Vinum Lector

Why it beats going to a shop: This is a tiny boutique company that stocks the shelves of several wine shops and restaurants around town. They do a terrific newsletter, too.
Their focus: Table wine and premium stuff from bulk-producing regions like Australia and Chile, but also unusual stuff from Portugal, Spain, and Romania and affordable sauvignon blancs from Marlborough, New Zealand.
Our faves: Their Mussel Bay sauvignon blanc is good value for money, without sacrificing any of that strong passionfruit aroma typical of this varietal. Also try the Romanian cabernet sauvignon, Feteasca Neagra.
How to order: Six bottle minimum, delivery within 48 hours on work days. Email [email protected] to get a catalogue.

PS. In a previous post I stated that these only sold to the trade...….but it seems not (so I am not special!!!) and they are a wholesaler, so get them to send you a wine list and the "specials" they have.

Edited by xylophone
  • Thanks 2

On 6/2/2018 at 3:01 PM, DrTuner said:

It's one of the most utterly stupid things in Thailand. Powered by protectionism for local alcoholic drink producers. Somebody should start a heavy duty trade war with Thailand to make them yield.

Add to this how the Thai tobacco companies have influenced the government in banning vaping and Iqos products with harsh penalties for those who break the law.

• Like 1

Its still a shock to see the new version ?

1qhToKu.jpg

0GGkhHa.jpg

It seems there may be a lot of people going to give up and not buy this type of wine any more , me included ?

I know we can't talk about home made wine here , so can any one pass on their thoughts / ideas / how to's via a PM please .

18 minutes ago, Monkie Business said:

1qhToKu.jpg

0GGkhHa.jpg

It seems there may be a lot of people going to give up and not buy this type of wine any more , me included ?

I know we can't talk about home made wine here , so can any one pass on their thoughts / ideas / how to's via a PM please .

Easy, you just need the right tools and to make sure everthing is sterilized,  keep The temparatur stabile, and get the right raw materials. Maybe take you some few years to finely get a good product, and spending 100´s of hours and several 10 000´s on equipment, study trips to wineries and so on, but its fun. We started out in my buddies basement when we where 16, and those we failed, we burnt. We where quite popular in the parties, bringing 20 liters bulks for everyone to taste. Today, here in Thailand I would not bother making wine, to difficult to keep stabile inviroment for the juice. But good luck

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Monkie Business said:

1qhToKu.jpg

0GGkhHa.jpg

PM sent

• Haha 1