Best Bank in Thailand

Hi All,

I have been using Bangkok Bank for 7 years now but i believe that they are not the best option in Thailand. Based on years of experience, can anybody share their thoughts and opinions on the best bank in Thailand to use for personal everyday use with international transfers, online banking, bank apps and customer services.

I can share my experience with regards to Bangkok Bank:

• if you set up an account in Phuket and the ATM in Bangkok swallows your card, you have to go to the bank in  Phuket that you opened your account with to get a new card.
  • The online banking has OTP set up with mobile phone but there is no 2FA to secure your online account.
  • My ATM card does not have a chip.
  • To pay for things online using my card, i literally had to jump through hoops. It was that complicated, i really couldn't tell you how i managed to figure it out in the end. My friend still can't do it.
  • At one time, i could not use other ATM machines to withdraw which meant i used to have to search all around for a Bangkok Bank ATM. This has since changed but i am still in the mindset where i need to use a BB ATM.
  • I get charged for using my card in some none BB ATM's

I have accounts with BBL, K-Bank, TMB, LH and SCB. Of these banks BBL has offered the best service. A lot depends on where you live as to the best bank. As far as ATM charges a recent agreement eliminated cross ATM charges at BBL. I was able to get a Visa chip card when I lost my BBL debit card recently. I would say K-Bank has the strongest online security. 

18 hours ago, Steps said:

My ATM card does not have a chip.

You could have changed it for free since long (it was advertised since a year or more).

Now you might only get one of the hated "Unionpay" cards.

One of the real reasons to drop Bangkok Bank.

I get charged for using my card in some none BB ATM's

You get always charged "out of area/province" at other banks.

You get charged after more than four withdrawals in a month at other banks within the area.

You get always charged at banks that are not member of the Thai bankers association.

(a small "exotic" minority, AEON is one, some Chinese and maybe Citybank?)

I read that TMB has a favorable free withdrawal nationwide but don't remember the details.

The online banking has OTP set up with mobile phone but there is no 2FA to secure your online account.

What do you expect as 2FA? Other banks (SCB, Kasikorn) have the same procedures.

Edited by KhunBENQ

if you set up an account in Phuket and the ATM in Bangkok swallows your card, you have to go to the bank in  Phuket that you opened your account with to get a new card.

I can't tell whether other banks are better here. Maybe some knows.

This "branch centric" services are really antiquated.

Same for the bank book.

No chance to get a replacement at a random branch.

Edited by KhunBENQ

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

This "branch centric" services are really antiquated.

Same for the bank book.

Statement bank accounts are available now - but book is probably better for many low income savers as not dependent on mail (which may change often) and easy to use when making deposits/withdrawals as have immediate proof transaction in account.

• Like 1

Apart from their unique system for simplifying transfers from the UK and USA I have never seen the attraction of Bangkok Bank. They seem to mostly charge more than other banks, and also seem to pay less interest.

I have cards from TMB and Krungsri and both can be used anywhere in Thailand with no extra charge, and with no usage limits that I know of. I also find that Krungsri's online app and SMS service is particularly efficient and useful. The TMB one seems to be less reliable, and SMS messages do not always arrive on my phone.

Krungsri also have an easy to use savings account that pays fairly high interest and which can be easy linked to a card account via online banking.

So my vote would go with Krungsri.

The annoying business about having to deal with the account holding branch rather than one in the region you happen to be in seems to apply to all Thai banks. They are very parochial. Which is fairly ridiculous as the branches often seem to have to call head office for confirmation before doing anything anyway.