Despite stacked odds, election is essential

webfact

Despite stacked odds, election is essential

By The Nation

editorial.jpg

The junta is likely to hold on to power at the polls, but its opponents must seize every opportunity for change and progress

The recent emergence of a raft of political parties is sending a clear signal to the ruling military junta – the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) – and to society as a whole. It is that elections are essential if the country is to continue making progress.

Even among those who welcomed the Army’s intervention in politics four years ago and maintained faith in the generals for some time after have come to realise the necessity of an election as a genuine instrument for negotiating power.

Citizens who want a share of the power need to enter the race. Those who want the military out of politics know an election is the way to remove it. Elections hold the promise of peaceful political change. History has established that military coups cannot resolve political conflicts. The 2014 coup staged by Prayut Chan-o-cha was no exception. It has failed utterly to reconcile the opposing sides, heal the country or end corruption. The generals’ promises of reform have proved to be mere pretext for seizing control.

The downside of the coming election is that, if junta-allied parties win, it could give the generals a measure of legitimacy and the chance to perpetuate their rule. Political elements that supported the NCPO are now forming parties to contest the race in the hope of claiming enough parliamentary seats to keep Prayut in power.

The military government has put in place legal instruments to extend its rule. It has the armed forces protecting it and dissuading opposition. Public money is being spent on the very kind of populist programmes the generals once derided as a politician’s trick, a bribe for votes.

And it is now creating not one political party but many in a bid to ensure it receives a mandate to continue governing.

Prayut’s recent campaigning and the emergence of pro-junta parties have rendered the political spectrum clearer. In coming months and years we can expect to see fierce competition between the pro-junta groups and its opponents in the Shinawatra-red-shirt movement. And there will be opportunists ready to side with whoever has the upper hand.

All of them claim to be fighting for democracy and the people’s interests, but few people outside their membership rolls will truly benefit. The pro-junta groups refrain from setting out platforms or policies, content to pledge allegiance to the three pillars – nation, religion and monarchy.

Generally, the political equation hasn’t changed in four years. There are new parties offering alternatives, but it’s doubtful they’re strong enough to win at the polls. The present regime will see to that. It would be naïve to think the junta would heed calls for a free and fair election. Its need to win the election to gain legitimacy and remain in power is simply too great. But it is wise to call for close monitoring of Thailand’s political developments.

The government and its supporters would use any means necessary to win an election that has to come eventually, since further delays are impossible.

Heading towards it, the rules of the game are not particularly fair and the players are hardly equal. Plus, with the junta as a player in the game, there is no real regulator supervising the polling. Despite all of this, the election is still the best choice.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/opinion/30346998

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-05

59 minutes ago, Dave67 said:

The Junta are underestimating their unpopularity. I predict a landslide victory for non Junta related parties. Just like Malaysia UMNO lost so badly they couldn't manufacture a win which means the ex-Pm going to jail

Prayuth may still command the loyalty of the armed forces, which he might seek to use if he faces going to jail. Anyone think he'd go that far?

this is where the vote will show what the people of Thailand want, we know the junta has set things up but they do not control the public. The people will vote for who they want to win, once the figures are released everyone will be able to see the will of the people, I seriously doubt any one party will get a huge win, it will be a collection of parties that run the country, hopefully there will be enough decent members that are not simply there to enrich themselves as previous government members have done so that we see some good changes in the country but I seriously doubt it, getting noses in the trough seems to be what thai politics is all about

Edited by seajae

27 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

A very rich Thai woman told me the other day: Just wait until after the elections and he is a normal citizen. He will then knows what it is like to be normal. 

Unfortunately, he will never be just 'a normal citizen'. Firstly, he is very, very wealthy. Secondly - he will not simply hand over power; he will fight tooth and nail (by the most unjust means) to retain his ill-gotten position of control. Eventually, there will be small-scale uprisings of Thais against him and his mob.

Sadly, those brave Thais who rise against him and his gang will not receive active support from the overwhelming majority of their countrymen and countrywomen. So the junta (or its surrogate) will continue in power.

I just hope and pray that I am wrong!

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Eligius said:

Unfortunately, he will never be just 'a normal citizen'. Firstly, he is very, very wealthy. Secondly - he will not simply hand over power; he will fight tooth and nail (by the most unjust means) to retain his ill-gotten position of control. Eventually, there will be small-scale uprisings of Thais against him and his mob.

Sadly, those brave Thais who rise against him and his gang will not receive active support from the overwhelming majority of their countrymen and countrywomen. So the junta (or its surrogate) will continue in power.

I just hope and pray that I am wrong!

I think what she meant is that he releases his military power to become PM, and this is where he will be fragile and vulnerable as he cannot use section 44. Her face was serious as I think some Thai rich elites (she is one) really want him to be subjected to what has been done to other PM's. He will always have his Elite status but they just might go after him if he decides to look sideways and think he is impenetrable. For me, I think he will be a hard cookie to bring down unless Thai's get really sick and tired and had enough. ofcourse when he is PM the watch issue and little p thing will be brought back up into his face, and if he doesn't handle it the right way by throwing little p under the bus, then he might just feel the wheels himself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, seajae said:

this is where the vote will show what the people of Thailand want, we know the junta has set things up but they do not control the public. The people will vote for who they want to win, once the figures are released everyone will be able to see the will of the people, I seriously doubt any one party will get a huge win, it will be a collection of parties that run the country, hopefully there will be enough decent members that are not simply there to enrich themselves as previous government members have done so that we see some good changes in the country but I seriously doubt it, getting noses in the trough seems to be what thai politics is all about

Yep, The trough is big. I just wonder if Thai people ever get sick of being ripped off by these pollies? One question? would the Un send observers to watch the elections? 

7 minutes ago, millwall_fan said:

Election not fair in Thailand

See what happen?

People drink bottle of Lao Khao. Wait till next election!

Exactly! There is - historically and culturally - a big difference between the Burmese (whom Anak Nakal referenced) and the Thais. Some folks have got fiery, masculine warrior blood coursing through their veins in the face of injustice.

Others have not.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eligius said:

Some folks have got fiery, masculine warrior blood coursing through their veins in the face of injustice.

Golly, I thought for a moment you were talking about our glorious lean mean steely eyed leaders...

• Haha 2