Germany declines to hand fugitive monk over to Thai police

webfact

2 hours ago, z42 said:

I simply can't envisage what his asylum requeat papers would say. How could this crook possibly fit the bill?

If he gets in Germany needs to have a serious word with itself. Idiots like this deserve to be rotting in jail and no place else

Right - We have no clue what the evidence against him is. Is it real or made up? He could be corrupt or totally innocent and a victim of a railroading. Germany will want to evaluate that evidence, so they might actuallly get to see something, unlike you or me. Given the RTP 3 day demand and posse in force, ... theya re going to need a lot of evidence.

Oh right and Thailand and Germany DO NOT HAVE an extradition agreement, so Thailand is going to have to present evidence and HOPE that Germany is in a good mood.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, varun said:

"Monks" parading around in the name of Buddhism are greedy, money-grubbing & conniving pedophiles that deserve all the negative publicity they get.

Each and everyone of them should be publicly named and shamed.

They're a disgrace to the true principles of Buddhism.

I say kick them to the curb when they come around to your house, begging for free food. 

This recent video is how they should be treated.

She had less juristiction than the 14 in Germany ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai expatriates living in Germany were believed to have aided the monk’s escape, Prawit said, adding that the preparations were being made “long ago”. Thai authorities are examining evidence regarding the people involved, he said. 

that's interesting.

While the Germans appear to be dragging their feet over deporting this monk back to Thailand, they certainly don't appear to be dragging their feet over deporting the Catalan ex-President back to Spain!

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/06/german-prosecutors-apply-puigdemont-extradition-180601115207294.html

Still, I suppose that what's more important to the Germans than the application of double standards in these 2 cases is that EU chums on mainland Europe must be seen to be sticking together in the face of Brexit!

When the Thai people catch drift that Germany is offering asylum to those fleeing prosecution (persecution) from a military junta who overthrew the democratically elected government and implemented their own, well, if an allege criminal embezzler can claim asylum in order to live in a 'free society', then why not the average Thai people?  If people catch that loophole, then the flood gates to a 'better life' in the EU may open.  There is a pretty low bar to fleeing prosecution (persecution): simple organize a pro-democracy demonstration and wait to be threatened with arrest, document, fly to Germany at the first change, apply for asylum. 

Edited by connda
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, connda said:

Thirteen police to extradite one fugitive?  Sounds like a junket (waste/fraud/abuse of public funds).

I think you are being a little harsh here! what if he put up a fight? :shock1:

Remember Thai's prefer overwhelming odds!