Crocodile kills Ethiopian pastor during lake baptism

webfact

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

Respect for the spiritual beliefs of others [...] is a proof of intelligence and culture.

Absolutely not true in the slightest.  People [may] deserve respect, not beliefs.

If somebody believes the world is flat or was "created" six thousand years ago, I am going to disrespectfully laugh at them until my sides split open.  And putting "spiritual" in front of the word 'beliefs' does nothing to help.  A person who says they're spiritual just means they prefer to believe things they have made up rather than believe things other people have made up.

11 hours ago, robblok said:

You assume there is a god ? Maybe this wills how some believers that there is nobody.. I mean religious ceremony in his name should be protected... but.... not. 

Retort from religious people... its all about faith... this just tests the faith... problem solved.

Maybe this will show some believers that God won't protect his followers from crocodile bites. It doesn't disprove the presence of a God. Maybe God was busy with some other duties in the city and got there too late.

Their water. Their rules.

He was a "guest" kind of like expats are "guests" in Thailand. 

There is really nothing to be made of his religious role. To the crocs, it was a crock. 

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

Maybe this will show some believers that God won't protect his followers from crocodile bites. It doesn't disprove the presence of a God. Maybe God was busy with some other duties in the city and got there too late.

Playing "devil's advocate" (excuse the pun), God gave man the freedom to think for himself. This pastor thought it was a good idea to wade into croc infested waters.

Maybe God and Darwin are not at odds.

10 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

Playing "devil's advocate" (excuse the pun), God gave man the freedom to think for himself. This pastor thought it was a good idea to wade into croc infested waters.

LOL>  It would have been very good PR though - saving the pastor from a croc bite in front of a crowd of believers. The devil may have won the day.

7 hours ago, tropo said:

Of course it does not disprove it nothing does else the argument would have been settled ages ago. But it is irony meeting your maker while servicing his flock. 

19 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Darwinism is God

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Darwinism is God

Nah. Darwinism simply explains how we got here, after the Universe begun, but it does not answer to any of the big questions. 

Religions offers quick answers in children story telling style while science and philosophy are still trying to find real answers.

Religions are just old philosophies, written by people since long gone. It's quite remarkable that few people wrote old wisdoms to a papyrus and their work is today adored as the ultimate truth. 

As we all know, the ultimate answer to Universe and everything is 42. 

4 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Nah. Darwinism simply explains how we got here, after the Universe begun, but it does not answer to any of the big questions. 

Religions offers quick answers in children story telling style while science and philosophy are still trying to find real answers.

Religions are just old philosophies, written by people since long gone. It's quite remarkable that few people wrote old wisdoms to a papyrus and their work is today adored as the ultimate truth. 

As we all know, the ultimate answer to Universe and everything is 42. 

Why would anyone think that what happen before the singularity, did not behave in accordance with Darwinian principles?

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Why would anyone think that what happen before the singularity, did not behave in accordance with Darwinian principles?

Because nobody can divide by zero. Even if we iterate the universe ∞ times, we still go back to the same question.

16 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Because nobody can divide by zero. Even if we iterate the universe ∞ times, we still go back to the same question.

But we don't have zero at the singularity we have a number with an unimaginable for as number of zeros in front of it which might be a very small number for as but an extremely big number for something else .

You can certainly devide  with a fraction 

Edited by sirineou

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Not we don't have zero at the singularity we have a number with an unimaginable for as number o zeros in front of it which might be a very small number for as but an extremely big number for something 

You can certainly decide  with a fraction 

Creating something out of nothing is dividing by zero.

Where the singularity came from? What was the source of energy? If energy was created by separating matter and antimatter, where did the push to start that separation came from? And soon enough, we are back in the original question.

String theory tries to answer to some of the questions, creating complex and to my understanding, silly mathematical models, where matter can pop out from different dimension. 

I'd use Shania Twain's words to describe that mess. 

5 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Creating something out of nothing is dividing by zero.

Where the singularity came from? What was the source of energy? If energy was created by separating matter and antimatter, where did the push to start that separation came from? And soon enough, we are back in the original question.

String theory tries to answer to some of the questions, creating complex and to my understanding, silly mathematical models, where matter can pop out from different dimension. 

I'd use Shania Twain's words to describe that mess. 

Again

I don't know where you get nothing

Ps read Lawrence Krauss Something out of nothing 

3 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Again

I don't know where you get nothing

Ps read Lawrence Krauss Something out of nothing 

.. and that is the real question.

3 hours ago, oilinki said:

.. and that is the real question.

Are you familiar with Zeno's paradox 

And particularly "Achilles and the turtle "?

They were racing to something they could not get too. Now reverse it and race toward nothing.

You will see that you can also never get to nothing.

9 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Are you familiar with Zeno's paradox 

And particularly "Achilles and the turtle "?

They were racing to something they could not get too. Now reverse it and race toward nothing.

You will see that you can also never get to nothing.

I was not. As far I was willing to read, Zeno's paradox was explaining how the world we see is just an illusion. The way Matrix said it was, the way Elon Musk said it is. 

Those ideologies doesn't answer to the real questions. Those are just reflections how insignificant we human beings actually are in the scale of the Universe. 

Even when we understand those philosophies, we are not even an inch closer to find the answer to the real question. 

8 hours ago, oilinki said:

I was not. As far I was willing to read, Zeno's paradox was explaining how the world we see is just an illusion. The way Matrix said it was, the way Elon Musk said it is. 

Those ideologies doesn't answer to the real questions. Those are just reflections how insignificant we human beings actually are in the scale of the Universe. 

Even when we understand those philosophies, we are not even an inch closer to find the answer to the real question. 

First, to keep the mods happy, here is a picture of Crocodiles doing what Crocodiles do.

Image result for cartoon crocodiles eating man

Ever since my father told me that If I dont cut my shi# off i will amount to nothing, I have being interested in the subject of Nothing.

so Zeno's paradox is concerned with the illusion of reality in general. The " Achilles and Turtle" parable made the point that if you divide something by half and then divide the remain by half and the divide the remain by half . there is an infinite number of divisions.

So Science has got to approximately  10-43 seconds towards the singularity, but not to zero. though this is a very small number, with in it there can exist an infinite amount of subdivisions and thus infinity.

so if you are interested in Nothing ........

Edited by sirineou