Prayuth Heads To UK, France To Talk Trade

webfact

1 minute ago, johng said:

I'm very disappointed that Britain is letting him in...but hope he's hounded at every turn by protesters with Pinocchio masks.

Totally agree with you, Johng. I dearly wish that Britain and all other civilised countries of the world would turn their back on this man, who has no moral legitimacy as the leader of Thailand whatsoever.

In fact, he would not even be acceptable as a road sweeper in my eyes - and the eyes of many, many other people (his very presence would foul the pavement!).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AGareth2 said:

he was locked up for contempt

He was locked up for the length of time he was because of his opinions and for who he was. Big mistake as they just made him more famous. This was a political sentence.

• Like 1

'the European Union was unlikely to even push to send observers for the next election, which may take place in 2019.'

And there we have it: disgraceful unethicality on the part of the EU - and (as I keep saying) the implicit promise that the junta will be allowed to get away with election rigging and fake election 'result'  - because NO CREDITABLE INTERNATIONAL BODY WILL BE MONITORING THE FAKE ELECTION (which  - note -  MAY take place in 2019)!

It is actually almost impossible to rig elections in Thailand now and this has been the case for at least 20 years.The problem relates more to the military constitution and the unwillingness of the Junta to permit unrestricted campaigning.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

It is actually almost impossible to rig elections in Thailand now and this has been the case for at least 20 years.The problem relates more to the military constitution and the unwillingness of the Junta to permit unrestricted campaigning.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You may well be right, my friend. But the junta will squeeze the maximum opportunism and value for themselves out of the 'almost' in your phrase 'ALMOST impossible to rig elections'!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JAG said:

I wonder, if whilst he is there, I mean, I am building this model railway (to the utter mystification of wife and daughter) and there are a few bits and pieces I can't get over here...

His suitcases will be full of, drugged and duck taped, ex PMs and monks... No room for toys pal...

• Haha 1

Quote : "I’m not going for my own good. I’m going for the country’s".

Actually - and sadly - I believe that. The man has proved repeatedly that he feels nothing but contempt (which is often a form of envy) and loathing for Western culture and Westerners, whom he regularly blames for anything that goes wrong here. I remember, and that's just one small example, his comments after the Koh Tao murders, about Western women and their sexy bikinis. It was nothing short of appalling.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JAG said:

I wonder, if whilst he is there, I mean, I am building this model railway (to the utter mystification of wife and daughter) and there are a few bits and pieces I can't get over here...

I'm sure his suitcase will be full with purchases for his own project: Track-laying kit, engines, carriages, goods wagons, station-building kit, level crossings. I'd think he already has enough of those small model inactive staff you can place around the station, etc.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yann55 said:

Quote : "I’m not going for my own good. I’m going for the country’s".

Actually - and sadly - I believe that. The man has proved repeatedly that he feels nothing but contempt (which is often a form of envy) and loathing for Western culture and Westerners, whom he regularly blames for anything that goes wrong here. I remember, and that's just one small example, his comments after the Koh Tao murders, about Western women and their sexy bikinis. It was nothing short of appalling.

"I’m not going for my own good. I’m going for the country’s".

I think it would be a wonderful opportunity for the PM to spread Thaism and it's culture to other parts of the world. 

As a gesture to the people of Thailand and to make them feel proud of him I think he should wear the traditional costume on as many occasions as possible. That should bring him the sort of publicity he deserves.

Prayut 4.jpg

Edited by Cadbury
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, tomta said:

The head of the ruling junta. Good work by Khaosod. This guy should not be introduced as Prime MInister

Exactly! This is what I have been saying today: any journalist worth the name should NOT refer to Prayut Chan-o-Cha as 'Prime Minister'. That is to give him a dignity he does not deserve - and has not earned.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Waste of time going to France, their trade is controlled by the EU. He should go to Belgium.

UK could promise talks for 2020.

If you consider that the trip has another goal than pretending he has any international dimension.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, candide said:

If you consider that the trip has another goal than pretending he has any international dimension.

Apart from being a networking junket, I guess he considers it could bolster his international reputation and chance of staying in power in Thailand.

But you might suspect another hidden agenda?

Do tell...

1 hour ago, George FmplesdaCosteedback said:

Apart from being a networking junket, I guess he considers it could bolster his international reputation and chance of staying in power in Thailand.

But you might suspect another hidden agenda?

Do tell...

What I meant is that I think his trip is not aimed at doing business, as you also notice. So it does not really matter where he goes as long as it looks good.

• Like 2

Not being funny , but even though any trade is good they will laugh at him as he is maintaining a dictatorship which  is a no no to European countries.

Thailand will gain a lot once it goes back to a freely elected government. However, I don't think any freely elected government will do any better than this dictated one.

On 6/6/2018 at 8:24 PM, johng said:

I'm very disappointed that Britain is letting him in...but hope he's hounded at every turn by protesters with Pinocchio masks.

I wonder what your criteria are for the British Government banning heads of foreign governments from entering Britain.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

I wonder what your criteria are for the British Government banning heads of foreign governments from entering Britain.

This is a good one. British Government as the magistrate of truth. Lol

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, garrya said:

This is a good one. British Government as the magistrate of truth. Lol

Whether the British Government is "magistrate of truth" or not is beside the point.It must have certain criteria for the admission of heads of other governments with suspect personal records.Since it admits repellent Chinese presidents and Saudi royals, one assumes the bar is not set very high or that perhaps there is no bar at all.Certainly there would seem to be no objection to the Thai PM given his relative clean record compared with for example the Saudi/Chinese precedents.He is just a small time bully.My opinion for what it's worth is that the criteria - if there are any - relate to how the UK could benefit or not benefit (the latter applying if a decision was taken to exclude).As General de Gaulle used to say (quoting from Nietzsche) "the state is the coldest of cold monsters."

On 6/6/2018 at 1:50 PM, AGareth2 said:

he was locked up for contempt

No he wasn't. 

He was ordered not to express his views inside a court room. 

He was outside the court and had asked permission to speak prior to speaking .

Then suddenly he was arrested. And 13 months in prison for contempt. ?

Even Prayut is not that nasty. 

He was in court and in prison within 3 hours. 

7 minutes ago, greenchair said:

No he wasn't. 

You are talking complete rubbish.For those not wedded to ignorance and far right political prejudice, here is an excellent summary of the position.

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/05/25/what-has-happened-to-poor-tommy-robinson/

35 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You are talking complete rubbish.For those not wedded to ignorance and far right political prejudice, here is an excellent summary of the position.

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/05/25/what-has-happened-to-poor-tommy-robinson/

A very interesting read, whether you are interested in TM or not (of which I'm not) - it certainly seems to sort out the apparent BS that has crept into this story. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, greenchair said:

No he wasn't. 

and so he should have been - only for longer.