Most Thais Think Economy Bad, Getting Worse

webfact

Most Thais Think Economy Bad, Getting Worse

By Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

ortorkor-696x464.jpg

Few shoppers Tuesday at the Or Tor Kor Market in Bangkok's Chatuchak district.

BANGKOK — A majority of the public thinks the economy is heading in the wrong direction as consumer confidence slipped slightly last month due to anxieties over rising costs and political uncertainty, according to survey data out Tuesday.

The University of the Thai Chamber Commerce reported over half of people surveyed felt the current economic situation is poor despite government reports it expanded at the fastest rate in five years during the first quarter.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/business/2018/06/06/most-thais-think-economy-bad-getting-worse/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-06-06

2 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Of course the people think the economy is doing poorly. They are now middle class. They want more money to pay off their new truck sooner,more money to go out to restaurants,more money for new house,fashion clothes. etc.If they lived like they did 20 years ago they would have plenty. Middle class never have enough. When they can afford Toyota they move up to Benz and complain it is hard to make ends meet.

Yes, ask Aussies the same question - from one of the 5 or 6 richest highest-quality-living countries in the world - and you'll get the same answers: Oh it's terrible! Can't afford anything better than $30 for a bottle pf shiraz. Government's terrible. All the politicians are just terrible. I don't know how I cope ...

• Like 2

That ortorkor market costs 3-5 times more than a normal market.

It's for tourists but the vendors can't speak english and won't show the prices. 

It's for old chinese ladies who ride a big benz.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

In 11 years I have never met a Thai person that didn't know what the economy is. We must mix in different circles. 

As your avatar says, you are the Twerker so it makes sense.

I always use to gauge the economy strength by the number of the red number plates on new cars and pickups, now days you see very few maybe one a day, compare to better days where you'd see them everywhere, i hear that the government is looking closer at people who evade paying revenues as they're tight with funds, on top of the household debts that are skyrocketing...

Pattaya real estate is pretty much dead, they still selling condos in BKK because people prefer to invest in brick and mortar than to bet 1.5% interests in the bank, IMHO, i think that the economy doing just ok, nothing spectacular....

15 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Where you hear those complaints?  Some of the 1000 bars or massage shops in Pattaya?

"Slow, no customer"...

I am hearing/seeing just the opposite at many businesses.

Growth is at a five year high, people are coming here in droves, and the economy is doing well.

Most Thais have no education on economics and would have no clue what the "economy" is.

But, people love to wallow in negativity and sadness for themselves in some odd way it makes them feel empowered.

I agree with this and the proof for what you wrote is in the article itself, 56% think the economy is bad or getting worse while 49% don't know.

Edited by simoh1490

18 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I can see @spidermike007 point, Its often hard to believe the official inflation figures when you see groceries and things going up, I dont watch prices to much but even I notice some significant price rises for the once a week groceries at the supermarket or basic Thai meal at the local restaurant. Things dont go up by 2-3%, its often 20-30%.. I can find 6-8 things, that I know of, at 7/11, that have gone from say 20 baht to 30 baht.

Our standard weekly shop use to cost 2,000 baht, its now 2,500.

We've seen something similar recently but the answer was not inflation but complacency and profiteering by the supermarket chain we use - as a result, we just switched from Rimping (Chiang Mai) to a one-off supermarket nearby and our costs have fallen quite substantially. As for shopping at 7-11, you're never likely to ever do cost-effective shopping at a convenience store.

6 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

In 11 years I have never met a Thai person that didn't know what the economy is. We must mix in different circles. 

Read the survey, over 40% couldn't answer the question!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stephen tracy said:

Was the question: do you know what an economy is?

You told us earlier that, "I have never met a Thai person that didn't know what the economy is", so presumably they do!