Brit, 31, found dead in Bangkok hotel room

webfact

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

The commission depends on which Country  you are in , for the USA & UK and most of Western Europe , the fees are between 1.9 % -2.9 % (+ 30 cents per donation)

The b7.9 % that you stated is the maximum that they charge and that is in Switzerland .

As the guy in this story is from the UK, the charges would have been 2.5 % + 20 P per donation .

If a person donated 100 GBP to the cause in the OP , they would have received 97 .30 GBP , which is over 97 &%

https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/articles/203604424-Fees-on-GoFundMe

Thanks for that bit of info,I had no idea there were different fees for different countries and can't think why that is.i only read the basic fees as I've not got the time to investigate something that I have no intention of ever using.so I stand corrected.the only thing I might point out though is most donations will be nearer to a dollar than it would be £100 thus the percentage will not be near 97%

All I'm really seeing on this thread today is one member showing dislike of go Fund me campaigns. This seems to have been the main issue for the serial poster of this thread. Let's just forget the father has lost two children and let's pretend had this chap took out insurance his repatriation would have been guaranteed. 

I think go Fund me campaigns are great. About a year ago a woman was killed in motorbike accident in Udon Thani when an Australian man was fleeing the scene of a minor accident and hit her.

Some nice TV members chipped in and helped the woman's surviving child. I'm not sure if the funds went where they should but it was great to see people help and care.

RIP to the young man and condolences to his family.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

All I'm really seeing on this thread today is one member showing dislike of go Fund me campaigns. This seems to have been the main issue for the serial poster of this thread. Let's just forget the father has lost two children and let's pretend had this chap took out insurance his repatriation would have been guaranteed. 

I think go Fund me campaigns are great. About a year ago a woman was killed in motorbike accident in Udon Thani when an Australian man was fleeing the scene of a minor accident and hit her.

Some nice TV members chipped in and helped the woman's surviving child. I'm not sure if the funds went where they should but it was great to see people help and care.

RIP to the young man and condolences to his family.

Yes I remember it well with the Aussie suffering with some sort of bipolar disorder and on medication.not a nice person as I heard and always a problem around udon.anyway I think there was some donations that went directly to the child that survived and not through the go fund me site.as for the multiple posts I'm only defending my opinion and have no way attacked anyone for their opinion about the likes of go fund me.

If the parents want the body back just for an autopsy before the burial , I am against the

go fund me request.  It is a tragedy for the loss of 2 children, but if it is still the lack of

money only, then a cremation, and transportation of urn is much cheaper.  I have no problems

getting cremated. ashes to ashes etc. So no money coming from my red neck pocket either.

Geezer

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, happy chappie said:

And thankyou for your great position contribution to this article.you just sit back and slate everyone with your negative comments and analysis of other people's opinions.

I only slate posted commments which make no sense or do not contribute to the original story. Which all yours so far have been in the top 90%. Well done old chap. I have said this before and I will say it again, I have met many pricks in my life but you happy chappie and a total cactus. 

RIP the young man who passed away so suddenly. My condolences to his family and friends. 

Edited by Tongjaw
Spelling errror
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

Why is a burden on everyone else? Where you asked to contribute, No. Is it a burden on you and your lifestyle, No. Has it effected you in any way, No. So why get you knickers in a twist? If people want to donate then that is their choice. Don’t let it spoil your morning coffee. 

So I'm guessing you got no insurance?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jossthaifarang said:

Well you guessed wrong. Well insured with my work which covers me when oversea at work and at home here in Thailand. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Tongjaw said:

Well you guessed wrong. Well insured with my work which covers me when oversea at work and at home here in Thailand. 

Why you being the devils advocate then mate? You telling me you agree with all these people getting themselves into all kinds of trouble all over the place and then asking for handouts?

47 minutes ago, jossthaifarang said:
10 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

Why is a burden on everyone else? Where you asked to contribute, No. Is it a burden on you and your lifestyle, No. Has it effected you in any way, No. So why get you knickers in a twist? If people want to donate then that is their choice. Don’t let it spoil your morning coffee. 

I don't have repatriation insurance.  So what?  A lot of us have more money in the bank than any repatriation coverage we could buy.  The estate we will leave behind is more than adequate to cover any hospital bills, repatriation expenses and even 3rd party liability.  And if my ashes need repatriation, I won't be needing the rest of that money anyway.  Why should we be donating to insurance companies?  They don't work for free. 

Edit:  Besides, GoFundMe sites are often put up by people who want to help out the family, and funded by friends and family who simply want to show their affection for the deceased.  It's not always about raking in money to defray expenses.  Not much different than sending flowers, or donations in lieu of flowers.  I know I have donated money at several Thai funerals where the family definitely didn't need the money.  But they felt the regards of the community for the loved one they had lost.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, lvr181 said:

Not a good analogy - you're driving and get killed by another careless driver - then you should not be driving? Stretching a point I know, but there always risks associated with living.

Certainly try and minimise risks, whever you can, but you can never eliminate risk.

"Don't be afraid of death, be afraid of an unlived life.

You don't have to live forever, you just have to live!!"

"Not a good analogy".And pointing a loaded gun at your head and pulling the trigger is "always risks associated with living". What a load of rubbish.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, happy chappie said:

We are not talking about how this man died.we are talking about a person who's come to Thailand with no travel insurance.

I was not talking specifically about his death either, but about minimising risk.

5 hours ago, jossthaifarang said:

Why you being the devils advocate then mate? You telling me you agree with all these people getting themselves into all kinds of trouble all over the place and then asking for handouts?

Deleted my reply as I have no intention of getting into an arguement online. 

Edited by Tongjaw
Deleted my reply.

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Big C  you never bothered to read the full story,before making a comment.

“I just can’t believe what has happened – and what makes it worse is that we don’t know the details surrounding Joe’s death. said the father.

regards worgeordie

I know that’s what the news printed but my experience in the media is never let the truth get away of a good story

1 hour ago, Tongjaw said:

Deleted my reply as I have no intention of getting into an arguement online. 

Really tong jaw? Don't seem like that to me with your replies to my posts.you jumped on the bandwagon with the pro go fund me and no travel insurance gang and now that other members are coming out and having the same opinion as me you don't want to get into an argument.i suggest you grow a pair and stop bitching.youve gone through all my replies and stuck a squiggle face up like some bitter child to try and agitate me but it's water off a ducks back.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spectra112 said:

Why don’t you contribute to this forum by living up to your profile name. Sour grapes should be your new profile name 

And what has my profile name got to do with this story.please try and not go off topic with your personal snide comments.a thoughtful reply to the story would be most welcomed.

17 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Really tong jaw? Don't seem like that to me with your replies to my posts.you jumped on the bandwagon with the pro go fund me and no travel insurance gang and now that other members are coming out and having the same opinion as me you don't want to get into an argument.i suggest you grow a pair and stop bitching.youve gone through all my replies and stuck a squiggle face up like some bitter child to try and agitate me but it's water off a ducks back.

Not many members are backing you if you actually check. My squiggly faces to your posts are because they are in my opinion silly and inflammatory. I do not want to get involved with your continual nonsense. You’ve said your piece and voiced your opinion on go-fund me pages and insurance. Why don’t you just be quiet now and let the young boys family mourn in silence. They or their family members just might be members or read TV. 

23 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

How does it feel to be walking alone on this. Not one single person, not one, has agreed with your arrogant and totally uncalled for comments.

I agree with him, so you are totally wrong.

Edited by Broken Record

On 6/9/2018 at 7:29 AM, ScammedInThailand said:

Oh right - yes I could end up in the Land of Sh*t with all the sad losers like you....

Please don’t come here. We don’t need expats with your attitude. Stay home please. ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/7/2018 at 3:10 PM, happy chappie said:

No nobody did ask me to donate and I wouldn't other wise I would just give all my money to sad stories on go fund me.by the way do you know what % actually goes to the fund after the likes of go fund me have had their slice of the cake?

i agree with you mate everyone should be more responsible for their selves.