Dentist prescribed antibiotics for tooth filling....

goldenbrwn1

My son had to have a filling at the dentist yesterday. After the procedure I went to the counter to pay the bill. It was then I was I given ibuprofen ( which I expected) and then Metronidazole and Amoxicillin!  I asked did he have an infection and the dentist said no it was fine. So then I asked why does he need them? She said in case there is an infection and then scurried away... I’m no dentist/or a medically trained person but it just rang alarm bells...as I know here in Thailand they give antibiotics out like smarties. 

I myself have never ever been given antibiotics after oral surgery in the west. Obviously he’s taking them...his Mum won’t have my concerns  override the judgment of someone wearing a white coat..?

Am I right to question this...or is this common practice for dentist the world over?

Edited by goldenbrwn1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Doctors are rarely able to cure people. They are essentially human prescription writing devices, and major representatives for big pharma. And there are alot of perks. Maybe dentists are getting on that bandwagon too? I would have refused the prescription. No way I would have paid for it, or had my kid use it. Antibiotics are to be avoided at all costs, unless absolutely needed. 

Saying no to the medical industry is something most of us need to learn how to do. And questioning them to no end. Most doctors are fairly ignorant people. Most have no idea how to heal, and simply have good memories, and were able to absorb enough information to get that degree. Most need to be questioned. They do not like to be questioned. But, it is our obligation to do so.

"Doctors are rarely able to cure people."

I somehow doubt you could support this in any meaningful way.

• Like 1

Il give it a few days before I bin them....just in case (knowing my luck) an infection arises....imagine that grief...?. Thanks for replies everyone. I knew it was wrong to prescribe them and I do always question doctors...but here it’s just so hard to get a straight answer at times off them as their word is always taken as gospel from Thais.

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Doctors are rarely able to cure people. They are essentially human prescription writing devices, and major representatives for big pharma. And there are alot of perks. Maybe dentists are getting on that bandwagon too? I would have refused the prescription. No way I would have paid for it, or had my kid use it. Antibiotics are to be avoided at all costs, unless absolutely needed. 

Saying no to the medical industry is something most of us need to learn how to do. And questioning them to no end. Most doctors are fairly ignorant people. Most have no idea how to heal, and simply have good memories, and were able to absorb enough information to get that degree. Most need to be questioned. They do not like to be questioned. But, it is our obligation to do so. Antibiotics for a tooth filling? Say no to the goombahs. Say no to the fools. Just say no.

And life expectancy doubled in 100 years because of veganism?

Routine fillings, no, but if they are down around the gum line, there is a risk of infection.  Ibuprofen isn't normal either for a routine filling...Most wont even use novacaine.

Edited by moontang

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

The markup on medicines sold by most clinics here is huge, and by huge I mean several hundred percent. I dont think you need to look any further than that.

On a recent trip to hospital I foolishly let them full the scrip there.  I took the meds to my local country town pharmacy put them on the counter and asked for a quote.  He put the exact pills on the counter with prices on them.  The hospital was 250% dearer.  5,200b to over 13,000b. But this does not apply to O.P. who would not have been getting the scrip filled at a private hospital.  Sure there would have been some healthy mark up at the clinic though.

1 hour ago, The Deerhunter said:

On a recent trip to hospital I foolishly let them full the scrip there.  I took the meds to my local country town pharmacy put them on the counter and asked for a quote.  He put the exact pills on the counter with prices on them.  The hospital was 250% dearer.  5,200b to over 13,000b. But this does not apply to O.P. who would not have been getting the scrip filled at a private hospital.  Sure there would have been some healthy mark up at the clinic though.

No mark up on the medication...260 baht for all three meds. I just checked the itemised receipt.  So it’s not a money thing but maybe rather an educational one around the abuse of antibiotics....??

Edited by goldenbrwn1
  • Like 1

It used to be recommended to take antibiotics if you had certain heart conditions such as a leaky heart valve. Any infection through the gums due to bleeding caused by dental procedures could cause serious problems to the heart. But I think I read on the BBC website that this advice has now been downplayed?

With deep cleaning around my dental implant, gum bleeding  does occur so popping a few tablets seems like a sensible precaution.

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Doctors are rarely able to cure people.

Saying no to the medical industry is something most of us need to learn how to do. And questioning them to no end. Most doctors are fairly ignorant people. They do not like to be questioned.  Say no to the goombahs. Say no to the fools. Just say no.

Pretty speechless. Doctors are ignorant dear oh dear

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

Pretty speechless. Doctors are ignorant dear oh dear

So many doctors I have met, and been examined by were incredibly limited in their scope, their understanding of healing, operating a clean body, general health principals, and possessing any sort of knowledge of a wider variety of specialties, and forms of medicine, than that which they practice. Some will not even admit that there is any connection between diet and health. I have met some doctors who's ignorance boggled my mind. Very closed minded, and very narrow in scope. Of course, if you take a very narrow approach to medicine, you may be too conventional to see any of this. When I say some doctors are ignorant, I am not saying they are not smart, or they have not read alot of books, or that they do not know alot about their specialized areas. But, sometimes that does not mean much. So many doctors I have encountered (I am speaking of the standard allopathic medicine doctor) do little more than conduct examinations and write prescriptions. From my point of view, that is a form of ignorance. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

So many doctors I have met, and been examined by were incredibly limited in their scope, their understanding of healing, operating a clean body, general health principals, and possessing any sort of knowledge of a wider variety of specialties, and forms of medicine, than that which they practice. Some will not even admit that there is any connection between diet and health. I have met some doctors who's ignorance boggled my mind. Very closed minded, and very narrow in scope. Of course, if you take a very narrow approach to medicine, you may be too conventional to see any of this. When I say some doctors are ignorant, I am not saying they are not smart, or they have not read alot of books, or that they do not know alot about their specialized areas. But, sometimes that does not mean much. So many doctors I have encountered (I am speaking of the standard allopathic medicine doctor) do little more than conduct examinations and write prescriptions. From my point of view, that is a form of ignorance. 

From my point of view so is this post.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You're clearly trolling...... As its Thaivisa I wont put what I should do other then to say you're clearly in need of medical evaluation

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Interesting. I was having some root canal work done after an infection killed most of the root. It was treated at a local dentist but NOT given antibiotics. Kept having some problems with a fistula, so went to the Mahidol university dental hospital. Told me the tooth as not cracked and saveable. Treated it, got some antibiotics for the infection, and feels good now. Need to return for more work in July (very long waiting list). I recommend it if one lives in Bangkok. Reasonable prices and very experienced staff that deal with many patients per day. Price varies depending on who does the work - from dental students to professors. 

• Thanks 1