Qantas 747 "crash" at Don Muang in 1999 video simulation

Chivas

13 hours ago, Chivas said:

general lack of clear communication

As often in such accidents.

"Lucky" in this case.

The mother of bad communication cost 583 lives (1977, Los Rodeos, PanAm 747 vs. KLM 747).

Edited by KhunBENQ

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

As often in such accidents.

"Lucky" in this case.

The mother of bad communication cost 583 lives (1977, Los Rodeos, PanAm 747 vs. KLM 747).

Certainly was no question.  For me on this particular incident its the 2nd officer keeping quiet about the ever increasing rain because the captain and 1st officer had had an earlier conversation about the same subject

Words were left unspoken and the end result we know

I was stunned to read that they did a 100 million Dollar (!) repair just to avoid a hull loss in their records.

Did passengers in later years know what plane they were flying on :tongue:

• Haha 1

I read the full report years ago, they sent the data to Boeing and they replied "yep, using that speed and configuration you're going off the end with what you did"

Also flew on it from Heathrow (BA codeshare) cheekily looked for wrinkles which amused the CSD, he told me not to mention the golf course !

One of the pilots of that flight came to my place once for dinner I remember joking with him asking if he had any trouble pulling up in the driveway in the car LOL.One good thing they were off work for a long time on full pay while they investigated it.

There's a good book titled, The People Who Killed Qantas, or something like that, it's all about this type of stuff, and includes the story about the 747 that run off the runway at Changi many years ago, good read. 

• Like 1

The actual Qantas 747 "Longreach" was the aircraft in the accident featured in the BBC show Airport in the 1990's on multiple occasions

Edited by Chivas